commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: David A
Forum Index » Profile for David A » Messages posted by David A
Dear Habib

That is fantastic and I'm glad that the grave of the Colonel still remains. Joss talked about your family and Sultan at length during my communications with her.

Such good news. Please feel free to email me at: [email protected] if I can help in any way.

yours

David
Another...
Dear Habib

Oh that is excellent news. Fantastic!

As Pete correctly says the reports in the media and the reports from several people that had tried to find the grave, quite understandably, led them to assume that its was one of the graves that had been severely damaged.

It warms my heart that it is still there and is hopefully still being tended to. If my publisher is willing to "run with" another edition of the book then I will happily update it. I'm also keen to update more details on the CQB program which many readers have emailed me about.

I've attached some photos that were taken several years ago

Best

David
Hi Nick

No - If I were you I'd run out and buy several right now :)

The information that John sent through is material that is already included in ACQ; as I said to him we appear to have travelled a similar path on the road of our investigations, but it was nice to have several areas confirmed from related sources that he provided.

I don't know if John has read the book yet - I'm waiting for him to get back in touch - but it may be able to shed light on some the mysteries about GT that John was unsure of.

Anyway thanks for all the help chaps

David
Hi

Just a quick update.

John did get back in touch and very kindly sent me through a parcel containing various materials in relation to my biography about Grant-Taylor, At Close Quarters.

I have emailed him back, but will endeavour to write to him in person over the coming weeks to thank him again.

Many thanks to the people on the forum for all your help.

Best regards

David
Hi Nick

Thanks for that.

I actually don't want his address (and I have emailed him), I just wondered who he was, if he was known here and if he was alright due to the hiatus in his correspondence.

I'm sure if it is important he will get back in touch.

Best

David
Hi

I was recently contacted through my publishers by a Mr. John Wall who I believe was part of 5 Commando. I emailed him back recently but so far I have not heard from him. Just wondered if any forum members knew of this gentleman. It was in relation to a topic in my book.

Thanks for any assistance

David
Kevin wrote:Finding a working Thompson in the UK would be a bit difficult as they are covered by section 1 firearms act 1968. Importing a Thompson from the US to UK would also be in the grey area, unless you have an importers licence to cover firearms, I would seriously reconsider the US option, and would strongly recommend the deactivated avenue, as the earlier, though more expensive, and harder to find de acts would be fully field strippable. Again your desperation for a live/working Thompson could end in grief !!, as you have already said "Couldn't find one in the UK".
Kevin

Hi Kevin

Oh yeah thats all very true.

I quickly found out that finding one in the UK was virtually impossible. I was running some training programs last year for some former military personnel and we used a de-ac for some of the demo purposes. As you say it was strippable and did everything except fire.

The guy in the US, a friend of mine found him and was the contact between us. So if I ever happen to find myself in the mid-west of the USA i'll be able to take him up on his offer....hopefully.

David
I was desperately trying to find someone who had a working Thompson, as I was keen to do some training on it. Couldn't find anyone in the UK, but I did get an offer from a guy in the USA who had one that he used regularly.

Hopefully if I ever make it over to the states the offer is still open.

The best I had was to work with a deactivated "Tommy Gun" last year, which in itself was fantastic.

David
Hi Nick

"The truth is always far better than fiction" - couldn't agree more with that statement. That was one of the main reasons that I wanted to write the book and get it out there.

There has been so much misrepresentation, "woolly" anecdotes and spurious biographies regarding Grant-Taylor, that I felt it was important to dispel the myths that have been propogated and taken as fact by certain parties.

Anyway, I hope people enjoy it.

Cheers

David
Thanks for that Pete

I hope people enjoy At Close Quarters :)

Much appreciated

David

Forum Index » Profile for David A » Messages posted by David A
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger