commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Dusty's son
Forum Index » Profile for Dusty's son » Messages posted by Dusty's son
Present day ,sorry I had to resize it and now it loads upside down !!!!
Having trouble loading the pictures
We are vacationing in Portugal and Spain . Yesterday we made the trip to Gibraltar and I think we found where the picture was taken . It is at the back of the parking lot for the cable car next to the Alameda Gardens . We rode to the top and walked down over 23,000 steps . Incredible to think how fit they were between cliff climbing ,and just generally getting about .
Thanks Pete , wishful thinking on our part I suppose ,it is a remarkable likeness though since all four of us picked out the same person . Regardless , if anyone can identify any of the others I will pass on the information . Just to update you , the Bradys think that Kenneth Drew is second row third from the right
I came across this photo , that I had not seen before ,on the social media site .The picture belongs to Morph Brady and I am posting it with his permission . He is looking for information on Kenneth Harrison Drew 41 RM KIA Salerno Sept 10/43. However , my family is quite certain that the man kneeling down in the bottom left corner is our Dad. V.W. Miller #2 Commando #3 Troop .Any help in identifying anyone else in the picture would be greatly appreciated . He believes the picture was taken just prior to Salerno Thanks
P.S.I have sent him a link to Kenneth Drews grave picture in the Salerno gallery
Hello Matteo
If it is ok with the site administrators then of course you can post our pictures .For privacy reasons I did not mention your daughter was with us as well .

Eileen , the Pimple is very difficult to locate without the aid of a guide .If you go I can highly recommend Matteo both as a historian and a gentleman .Hopefully ,If you go next year they will have identified the recently discovered remains .
Looking back from the autostrade you can see the electric towers and the approach to the Pimple
Hi Everyone
Last June when we visited the " Pimple " our guide was Mateo from the Salerno 1943 group .He spent an entire afternoon with us and took us to the cemetery as well . It was something I will never forget .
I am guessing that it is Mateo who has posted this information here .

Pete , it's great that you can provide some names so as to narrow down the possibilities and help identify the remains of the fallen In the picture posted of the Pimple ,looking down the hill you are facing north .This is the longest and least steep approach .l have attached a few more pictures to give a better perspective of the surrounding area . Near the top of the south side of the hill are two hydro electric towers and the lines run to the east to Pigollele.
Thank you Pete for your help ,no thanks necessary for the grave photos,we are happy to do it and should be able to get some more as we start the last leg of the trip up the Adriatic coast. The previous pictures are from the Pimple and if any has any questions or would like more info feel free to message me here or by PM .Also ,if anyone has future plans to visit that area I can put them in touch with people who are more than willing to be of assistance. Janet and Nic it has been a fantastic trip so far mixing regular vacation tourism and following the footsteps of my Dad
Thanks Pete for posting the pictures . Nic it is has been an amazing trip so far and I look forward to seeing you and Pete and many others at Ft. William again some day . We are in Sicily now and visited Syracuse and Catania plus #3 Commando bridge at Lentini . We spent two nights in Vietre sul Mare last week and had a guide ( special thanks to Vic Lewis for pointing me in the right direction ) take us to the top of the Pimple . We took numerous pictures and are still in the process of going through them before sending them on for posting , once they have been sent to the CVA then I will post on the FB page . Thanks for for your patience everyone , we have been travelling at a rather hectic pace but will have some extended down time Mon, Tues. Wed, and I hope to get caught up then
Thanks Pete ,here are a few of the airstrip
Thanks for that Pete , the internet here can be dodgy and I just received this but we drove through Milna today . We leave tomorrow at 07:30 on the ferry back to Split . I could possibly make a quick run to Milna at first light if there is something there you would like a picture of . Today we visited Fort Gearge ,Komiza ,Titos cave, and the airstrip that they built which now sits on a winery . Curiously the winery owners likes cricket and has made a pitch next to the strip .It is a beautiful place now and it's hard to imagine how it was then . I will send you some pictures tomorrow while on the two hour ferry ride back to Split Courtesy of Janet I read a few books on Vis and Admiral Cowan was mentioned several times ,an amazing story
Thanks Doug ,we will try to add that to the route as well .Thanks everyone for your input ,two more days and we are off .

Lindsay
We have been in contact with Matteo Pierro from the Salerno 1943 group and he has agreed to be our guide so thank you Vic for the tip . Their web page is www.1943salerno.it. Obviously ,it is in Italian but there is some English .

Lindsay
Hi Vic

Thank you for that information,I will definitely put it to use . Arriving by boat must have been an amazing experience . I will attempt to contact the group at the email address you provided and will let you know how things work out . Thanks also for the tip on the limoncello we are looking forward to sampling that .

Lindsay

Forum Index » Profile for Dusty's son » Messages posted by Dusty's son
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger