commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: tonyrod
Forum Index » Profile for tonyrod » Messages posted by tonyrod
I had the privilege of speaking to Ivor regarding his time on the HMS PRINS ALBERT on the build up to sailing on the 6 june and landing on the 7th June on Normandy , only a couple of years ago, he was as sharp as a pin and his memory to detail was first class,
Duty Done IVOR TURNER,
YOU WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN

you can find Ivor on my website page titled Pals of ours, http://tonyrod.webs.com/
many thanks Rick,
2-o-clock or 1400 hrs, car park by the picnic area , sorry for delay in posting back,
MAIL today from my web site,
Hi Tony,
I just wanted to pass on the sad news that Bert Timms passed away peacefully on Monday.
I just wanted to say thank you on Berts behalf for creating the archive of the Prins Albert - it brought back many many fond memories for him. He always said the days on the Prins were the best of his life.

I guess he was the last of the crew of the Lucky Albert - and he always thought of himself the same way. Very blessed.

All the best

David Perring
Lucky to have been a friend of Bert
--------------------
anyone wanting to contact David contact me and I will pass on his email,

REST IN PEACE ALBERT TIMMS DUTY DONE YOU WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN,
HI Nick, the unveiling ceremony time on the 6th JUNE as not been set yet, I will be speaking to Ian Adams later to day to check out the best time for the locals and exactly where it is going , Tonyrod
reply from Ian Adams today in ARDENTINNY

Hi Tony,
I have just attended today the funeral of Tom Hamilton, who as you know organised the Remembrance Day at the monument. I took this opportunity to inform the village of your intentions for the 6th June, so we should get some to turnout. Ian

very sad ,Rest In Peace Tom , duty done. Tony
hi everyone, going up on the 5th June and staying 3 nights,, at the moment not sure who will be there from ARDENTINNY, but I will be taking lots of photos ,and a video, so stay tuned in, the Plaque will be ready this week , but I will leave it for Rick to post the first photo;s.

from Port MacQUARIE IN AUSTRALIA TO BLACKPOOL LANCASHIRE
AND ALL THE WAY UP TO ARDENTINNY IN ARGYLE-SHIRE
I HAVE TAKEN ON A TASK TO CARRY A TREASURED PLAQUE
TO HONOR A LITTLE SHIP WITH A GLORIOUS PAST
SHE CARRIED THE BEST OF OUR COMMANDO'S ONTO ENEMY SHORES
THEY CALLED HER THE LUCKY ALBERT BECAUSE SHE WAS NEVER HIT
SHE GOT THEM ON THE BEACHES AND MOST OF THEM BACK AGAIN.
IN HONOR OF THE CREW OF THE H.M.S.PRINS ALBERT,
AND ALL THE COMMANDO'S SHE CARRIED,
THANK you Bill, I have quite a lot of information on the HMS PRINS ALBERT, and a little on corporal MULLEN who like you say was in 4th commando, the list for those who went on the Dieppe raid, would be greatly appreciated . regards Tonyrod

hi STEVE, I found the photos of your grandfather C/Sgt Bob 'Beau' Ghest 46 RM Commando on this site would it be possible for me to use them for my project, regards Tony
hi Steve, thank' s for your reply, I have the information you posted on the Prins Albert and 46th com,, I will have a look to see what troop your grand father was in , do you have any photos of him ? would be nice to add to my small collection,
has for a relative in Portland I am still trying to link the two family lines together, I assume your referring to MARK RODAWAY obe
we have been in touch with each other , give him my regards, Tony
hi Markh, I never managed to get a photo of ALBERT even though I was in contact with him for a couple of years, has was Rick Smallman, Albert's a wonderful man has are all the ww2 veterans I have had the pleasure to meet or just speak to on the phone, I lost contact about 3 years ago a very sad affair, not knowing if he his still with us, but one thing for certain he will not be forgotten, Tony

cheers PETE,
from my notes I have, the Prins Albert LSI (small) September 9th 1943 Salerno
]The two commando unit ]were embarked on Prins Albert and 3 other British LSI?s. the hms Blackmore began the shell barrage on the coastal battery at Vietri. The commandos secured the deserted beach, and the coastal battery surrendered without much of a fight. The commando force was made up of No.2 Army Commandos (Churchill), 41 Commandos Royal Marine (Lt. Col Bertie Lumsden) they were commanded overall by Brigadier Bob Laycock, the 41 Commandos I believe where landed from the Prins Albert,

7 ROYAL MARINES. DIED ON THE 8TH and buried in Salerno
4 from the HMLCFL 4
1 from the HMS DINOSAUR
plus CHIVERALL and HUBBARD
and JAGGARD who you say dow on the 9th
34 are listed also on the 8th from different regiments and forces,

as you know I am researching all Commando units who sailed on the Prins Albert, so I will be asking more questions but only 1 at a time, :D thank you for your help PETE,, tonyrod
I am researching the 41 RM Commando at Salerno September the 9th 1943 and listed along with 33 from the 41st RM.Commando. buried at Salerno on the CWGC are
Lieut RICHARD SYDNEY CHIVERALL No. 40 R.M. Commando 08/09/1943
HUBBARD GR PO/X 116193 40 RM COMMANDO 08/09/1943
JAGGARD P CH/X 111786 40 RM COMMANDO 09/09/1943

where they attached to the 41 RM Commando any information greatly appreciated . tonyrod
hi, EILEEN, use this link to the PRINS ALBERT, http://tonyrod.webs.com/hmsprinsalbert.htm on reaching the bottom of a page go back up and select the page of your choice,
if you want to post some information on your father I would be honored to put it on my site, or you could pm me if you wish ,
hope you enjoy it, :D regards tony
hi markh ,thanks for your welcome and replay, me and Rick go back a few years researching the Prins Albert , and always share information the crew photo, I have,and William (billy) Rodaway was my uncle, I am intending putting a page or two in on the Commando's who sailed on her, if they or the family's wish,
The Prins Albert lost a crew member a few weeks back PO.ROBERT (Bob) BULL, who served on her from the very early days as did our Billy. , I am a moderator on the Manchester regiment , so if I can help in any way I will, regards, tony

Forum Index » Profile for tonyrod » Messages posted by tonyrod
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger