commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Ross Ba
Forum Index » Profile for Ross Ba » Messages posted by Ross Ba
Hey this is a long shot but does anyone know of any survivors from Oboe company RN Commandos. He also served in K and M if that helps anyone. Trying to track down anyone that may have known my grandfather particularly a chap called Micky Fisher. My Grand father is Alaxander Bartlett but known as Sandy. Trying to see if we can put him intouch with any of his war time buddies.

Thanks every one some usefull stuff will keep you posted I am going to go visit and try get him to go through his old photos with me to try get names and places to go with them. Also see if he'll lend them to me for scanning. I know he has some service medals so will need to look at those and have the dog tags to. As for badges and things the only bit of kit he has is his FS fighting knife which is green unlike most of the others I have seen although I have only seen it once and briefly as my gran showed me he doesn't like it much.

Also after a conversation with my father today there is a possibility he was a Royal Navy Commando and not a marine need to look into this didn't even know the existed untill my dad said something about it never read anything about them. Looking through the history on here it all sounds about right will have to do some name dropping as always remember him saying the sat in a dam in hollond on VE day as the knew they were going to Japan so didn't feel like a party.

Never thought this would be so confusing. :?:

Will keep you all posted its his birthday in May which has sparked the interest we just got the vetrans badge thing for him. Was also talking to a mate who is in 45 and returned from Afgan and he was asking me about it.

Ok I am maybe barking up the wrong tree and being a bit vague to boot but I?m looking to see if anyone can help. My grand father served in the commandos during WW2 he is still with us but unfortunately doesn?t talk about it the family are really proud and want to know more about his service time so it can be passed on. Unfortunately don?t know which unit he was with fairly sure it was a RM commando but don?t know which. When asked he replies we didn?t bother about that junk (useful I know but he has normally had a few drams before you can put a question to him). Well anyway I know he was at Anzio, Nijmegen and somewhere called Goose but apart from that not much info. He also said when they volunteered it was put to them as ?Who would like to start a new training course in Scotland? (Achnacary) He only said yes as it wasn't far from home )

If anyone could shed some light on how to go about this research stuff that would be great I am also in the process of trying to get my hands on his photos to get some scans which could be interesting for others on here.

Regards Ross

Forum Index » Profile for Ross Ba » Messages posted by Ross Ba
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger