commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: mikeysaling
Forum Index » Profile for mikeysaling » Messages posted by mikeysaling
ok applied to join facebook - pls post something there so I can follow
OK i'll have a look - BTW are you on Facebook ? Name ?
WW2Talk ? is that a web site ? Yes i'm still alive - have not received the replacement dagger yet !!!!! been 9 months since order but they are in touch.
Hi Eileen - did you get access to diaries ? how can I get same ?
A salute to a brave no 2 veteran - RIP Bert.
Hi Graham,

I had a response to my search for my fathers river police search with essex police museum but alas no luck finding other commando's from Essex - response

Our records are not formed in such a way that I could search for any others. Your father, apparently, was commissioned in 1944.

There is one surviving member of the original Essex police laumch 'Vigilant' and I will try to contact him - he may recall any other possible commando recruits from Essex - I'll keep you posted.

May or may not be of any use but of all the replica shoulder patches - i have a No9 commando shoulder patch white on black (maybe dark blue) - all the other replicas are red. Maybe whoever made them did some research ?
GrahamCooper wrote:It is my intention to try and get further names, - I've a few more books to trawl through.

When I first made the request about the police intakes,I never realized how frustrating it is to get information on the commando/s.

I have contacted several police authorities to see if they could help - but alas no names, same with various regimental museums

and associations again helpful but no names.

Over 400 men and no one really knows who they are / were , what a shame.

Once I have finished the last few books,I'll put the names up for all,in the next week or two.

Graham

Graham - have you tried essex police yet - they have a good museum and access to a lot of essex archives. I have an ongoing enquiry with them about dads service in the river police - I'll ask if they can find anything intheir records. Often finding this info is a matter of putting in the right keywords to the computer archive - I'll ask them how they documented my dads transfer to the commandos.
Nice one . The Butcher and Bolt looks a grand place to be !
The ribbons are believed to have been designed personally by King George VI and have symbolic significance :-

39/45 star - dark blue , red, light blue representing the navy, army and air force. n.b the senior service first.

Atlantic star - Moire (watered) silk effect - blue, white and green to represent the ocean.

Air Crew Europe - pale blue (the sky) black edges (night flying) narrow yellow stripes (enemy searchlights)

Africa star - buff background (sand in the desert) broad red stripe with thinner dark blue to the left and light blue to the right for the three services.

Pacific star - dark green (the jungle) yellow stripe (the beaches) narrow stripes of dark blue left and light blue right and wider red stripes on the outside for the three services.

Burma star - three equal bands of dark blue , red and dark blue (blue for british forces and red for commonwealth forces) The dark blue have stripes of orange for the sun.

Italy star - five equal stripes red white green white and red ( italian national colours)

france and germany star - five equal stripes blue white red white and blue (national colours of the uk, france and holland)

Defence medal - two broad stripes of green (our green and pleasant land) two narrow black stripes (the blackout) wide orange stripe in the middle (fire-bombing)

War medal - narrow red stripe in centre narrow white either side blue stripes then broad red on edges (our national colours)

This is also the order of precedence when worn and care should be taken to ensure the ribbons are the correct way round particularly the africa star & pacific star (narrow DARK blue to the left please).

Hope thats interesting
Cheers for that Bootiegreg - latest from me - Just ordered from Macdonalds a 1st pattern (maynot be historically accurate for dad, but - he deserves thebest) . So Its a 1st pattern Nickel plated with scroll engraving as follows

L/Cpl E A G Cant (PC) - No.2 Commando - 4 Troop

The (PC) was his nickname in the troop!! he was a pc in essex police.

It will be several months (6) before i get delivery but i'm sure it will be worth the wait.

The Knife will be included in a frame with his medals and some other patches - so far I have a 2 shoulder patches a combined ops patch (2 of these L & R) and photo.

If anyone can think of anything else that should/could be included please please post a note here.

Not sure if this link is elesewhere ? but

http://www.modern-day-commando.com/

of particular interest to me was

http://www.modern-day-commando.com/Two-Commandos.html

story of 41 Royal Marine and No.2 Army at Salerno
Well - I think you should be made a lance-jack as a field award . :D Love the picture of the memorial - one day i'll get up there and pay my respects - lots of pictures will be taken .

OK have a quick luchtime vino (or whatever) with the sarges blessing
I don't mind being promoted - It may be the only way to stop that Eileen 'drinking on duty' Maybe I could let her borrow my Avatar for such occasions 8)

Keep a sharp lookout - and - don't tell 'em your name .
Ok I'm a patient chap - good luck with your upgrade .

Forum Index » Profile for mikeysaling » Messages posted by mikeysaling
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger