commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: cnmj5196
Forum Index » Profile for cnmj5196 » Messages posted by cnmj5196
Graham,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have read the War Diary for the No.6 Commando and I have the landing craft Troop assignments for the boats and groups: The No.6 Commando would require (23) LCPs and (02) LCAs to transport the No.6 Commando to the Beer Red beaches. The Awatea only had (10) boats available on it. An additional (10) LCPs would sail to the Awatea from the Sobieski, and (03) LCPs and (02) LCAs from the HMS Winchester Castle. I believe the Troop breakout for the No.6 Commando's landing craft is as follows:
Group 8 (Awatea LCPs) = On the left side of Groups 6-8 and planned to transport No.2, No.4 (plus 3-in Mortar Detachment), No.6, No.7 (1 Section), and No.8 Troops to Beer Red 4.
Group 7 (Winchester Castle LCPs) = In the center of Groups 6-8 and planned to transport No.5 Troop (plus additional Troops) to Beer Red 3.
Group 6 (Sobieski LCPs) = On the right side and planned to transport Commando HQ, No.1, No.7 (1 Section), No.9, No.10 Troop to Beer Red 2.
Group 5 (Winchester Castle LCAs) = Planned to transport Troop 3 to Beer Red 1.

I have heard or read that (4) boats from the No.6 Commando were sunk. I know that Group 7 are the landing craft that had gotten off course and were heading directly toward Ilot de la Marine and came under fire. The lead boat (which contained a Section from 9 Troop and the Major Alexander S. Ronald (No.6 Commando, 2nd in Command). After crashing into the dock, Maj. Ronald, his batman (name is unknown), and an American commando were gunned down shortly after climbing out of the boat. Some of the No.9 Troop men jumped into water and one drowned. It is believed that this boat sunk shortly after its arrival. Based upon my reading of wartime documents related to the No.6 Commando during Operation Torch, I believe that at least one boat from No.1 Troop also sank also (its Troop Leader Capt. Mackenzie drowned).

I have yet to find a document which specifically states which landing craft sunk and what Troop was assigned to each.

Thanks,

Craig
During the No.6 Commando landings on 08-Nov-1942, it is believed that (4) of its LCPs sunk. Many of the landing craft used by the No.6 Commando were unseaworthy and leaking badly. I am trying to determine to which of the (10) Troops of the 6 Commando these boats belonged. It is rumored that (6) landing craft from the 6 Commando ran off course and headed directly into heavily defended Ilot de la Marine. It is thought that this group included the first flight of landing craft that came to the Awatea from the Sobieski. This first flight would have included the two Sections from No.1 Troop, the two Sections from No.9 Troop, and one Section from No.7 Troop. If there were (6) wayward landing craft in this action, I cannot explain from where the sixth landing craft came.

I am reasonably sure that at least (1) of the No.1 Troop LCPs had sunk (Troop Leader, Capt. MacKenzie drowned). I am also reasonable sure that (1) of the No.9 Troop boats went under. It was the lead boat and had been leaking badly; the men in it were worried it would not make it to shore. It is believed that it sank shortly after it slammed into the docks at Ilot de la Marine. This group of boats also came under heavy fire while heading toward Ilot de la Marine. I know that the other No.9 Troop boat did escape and landed further down the coast. The men of that No.9 Troop boat took part in the Fort Duperre attack. If I am correct that (1) boat No.1 Troop and (1) boat from No.9 Troop sunk, then from which Troops were the other (2) boats? I have also heard second-hand stories of other landing craft sinking but have received no confirmation (one story was from a 7 Troop veteran who was in a leaking boat that was going under; its occupants transferred to other landing craft). There is also an 8 Troop man who is Missing in Action and his body was never recovered (which leads me to believe this man drowned).

I would appreciate any additional information that could shed more light on my question in identifying which of the 6 Commando landing craft sunk during the Torch landings.

Thanks for your help,

Craig Johnson
Nick,

Thanks for the correction. As a detail person I hate missing details. While I proofed and edited the message, I did so quickly. I still read the words that were in my mind, rather than those displayed on the screen.

Take Care,

Craig
I would very much appreciate any assistance in completing my listing of instructors who trained the 1st Ranger Battalion at and around Achnacarry, Scotland during July 1942. It is my understanding that (1) officer and (2) sergeants were assigned to each of the (6) Ranger companies (Co. "A" thru Co. "F", plus HQ Co.).

I would like to pay honor to the men who trained the 1st Ranger Battalion by including their names in my research. I have a listing of "believed" names below. I would estimate, I still need the names/assignments of several officers and about a dozen sergeants. Please contact me to make any additions, confirmations, corrections, and edits to the names on the list. I would also like to know to which Ranger company each was assigned. Any scans of original documents would be appreciated.

Officer Instrutors
Lt. Col. Vaughan, Charles E. - Commanding Officer of the Commando Basic Training Center
Capt. Gilchrist, Donald - Supervised day-to-day operations
Lt. Cowieson, Alick - Trained Co. "F"
Lt. Whitfield, [...] - Trained Co. "A"

NCO Instructors
Sgt. Bellringer, Roy - Unknown Assignment
Sgt. Bissell, Stan - Uknown Assignment
Sgt. Blint, [...] - Trained Co. "F"
Sgt. Brown, [...] - Trained Co. "F"
Sgt. Edwards, James "Taffy" - Uknown Assignment
Sgt. Frickleton, A.M. - Unknown Assignment
Sgt. Major McCaughan, [...] - Trained Co. "A"
Sgt. Moon, [...] - Unknown Assignment
Yes, besidess Jim Davies' serial number, there are (2) questions that I would like to know. From what organization/unit of the Army did Davies come to the No.1 Commando?

It is my understanding that after the Bizerte raid (09-Dec-1943) the No.1 Commando was reorganized from (10) Troops back to (6) Troops. For No.5 (Davies) Troop, one Section was led by Lt. G.A. Scaramanga and the other Sections was led by TSM F. Blake. There were only (4) Americans attached to No.5 (Davies) Troop. Does he recall any part of their names (nicknames or any details about each of the Americans and to which Section they were assigned and their job in the Troop)?
Re: No.5 Troop - No.1 Commando, 1942 Commander (Davies)

Need to find the full name & serial number of the No.5 Troop Commander for No.1 Commando during 1942. Name believed to be Captain Davies (possibly James H. Davies or Donald Davies).

He was part of the "left-half" of the No.1 Commando (on the USS Leedstown) which landed on Charlie GREEN beach during the landings near Algiers on 08-Nov-1942. Took part in the attack on Batteris du Lazaret (Cap Mantifou) & he lost one of his men (Pvt. Jone) in this attack. Davies also took part in the raid toward Bizerte, Tunisia on December 01-05, 1942. It is believed Davies continued to serve with No.1 Commando as a major in Burma.
Would like to see copies of any Troop Rosters for No.1 Commando when it underwent reorganization after the Bizerte operation (returned to a 6 Troop structure). The War Diary for 1942-December does not contain roster information. I am especially interested in rosters for:

No.1 (Craven) Troop
No.3 (Morgan) Troop
No.4 (Davidson) Troop

I would also like to know the full name of Capt. Skuse, a former Lt. who became the Troop Commander for No.2 (Bradford) Troop.

To No.5 (Davies) Troop, there were four Americans attached until the end of January 1943. To No.6 (Pollitt) Troop, there were three Americans attached until the end of January 1943. I am also interested in learning the names of those Americans.

Many Thanks,

Craig Johnson

Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I did contact Maurice Brown's son-in-law (Dan) and will send him my work-in-progress roster for the No.1 and No.6 Commando.

I am familiar with Mac McCurdy of No.6 Commando. I had corresponded with him a few years back after learning of his existence from another 34th Division man who had served with the No.6 Group (E.G. Leapley "Buss"). I believe that photo actually came from Leapley originally. It is at least part of No.2 Section - 7 Troop - No.6 Commando (taken sometime between 08-Nov-1942 and 21-Nov-1942).

Your father was a member of No.1 during the Torch and Bizerte Operations, right? I having been trying to piece together the Troop Names and Leaders for No.1 Commando since the Americans joined and split the force into (2) halves for the Torch and Bizerte Operations (on/about 08-Oct-1942). They referred to the two halves as the "Left Half" and the "Right Half"? At that time did the No.1 Commando retain their Troop Numbers (i.e., No.1 Troop thru No.6 Troop) and just add four additional Troops (Troop No.7 thru Troop No.10)?

During Torch, I believe the "Left Half" Troops were led by Major. Ken R.S. Trevor and took part in the assault on Battery du Lazaret. Those Troop leaders were the following: Captains Davidson, Davies, Pollitt and 1st Lieutenants Marshall and Martin? I believe the "Right Half" Troops were led by Ltc. Tom H. Trevor and took part in the surrender of Fort Sidi Ferruch. Those Troop leaders were the following: Captains Craven, Bradford, Morgan, 1st Lieutenants Holt and Thompson?

If that is the case, perhaps you can confirm or correct what I have for at least the Troop Commander under which your dad served? Below is what I have. The underlined fields represent unconfirmed data or guesses on my part.

?Left Half?
Led by Major Ken R.S. Trevor

No. 4 Troop British Capt. Douglas M. Davidson
No. 5 Troop British [u]Capt. Davies (xxxxx)[/u]
No. 6 Troop British Capt. C.J.B. Pollitt (xxxxx)
No. 9 Troop American 1st Lt. Jack A. Marshall (O-451717)
No. 10 Troop American 1st Lt. Mark T. Martin, Jr. (O-408197)

?Right Half?
Led by Ltc. Tom H. Trevor

No. 1 Troop British Capt. John Craven (xxxxx)
No. 2 Troop British Capt. John M. Bradford (70669)
No. 3 Troop British Capt. Harold R. Morgan (88079)
No. 7 Troop American 1st Lt. Thomas M. Holt (O-422344)
No. 8 Troop American 1st Lt. Devere O. Thompson (O-408651)

There is one thing which does not seem to fit if this organization is correct and was maintained for the Bizerte Operation. I think the "Left Half" was west of Bizerte guarding cross-roads waiting to link up with the attacking forces from the south (which never arrived). The "Right Half" attacked east toward the Bizerte airfield. During the afternoon of 01-Dec-1942, two troops were ambushed together while going through a valley (I believe, north of Lake Bizerte a couple of miles from the airfield). These two Troops were Davidson's (British) and Holt's (American). These Troops were from differents halves though. So that may be the "hole" to my organization above? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Johnson
I am interested in reading several of the reports which relate to Operations TORCH and BIZERTE (mostly contained within the LAYCOCK 5/27 series).

I am located in the United States and (most-likely) will not be able to travel to King's College - London anytime soon. Can you provide me with guidance in how I can make a request to the personnel at King's College (via e-mail or postal service) for paper or electronic copies of several of these documents?

Thanks,

Craig Johnson
I would appreciate any help in constructing a roster of the Americans who served with No. 1 and No. 6 Commando Groups from the landings near Algiers through reorganization in early 1943.
I would appreciate any help in constructing a roster of the Americans who served with No. 1 and No. 6 Commando Groups from the landings near Algiers through reorganization in early 1943.

I believe (4) additional U.S. Troops (7 Troop thru 10 Troop) were added to each group. I would like to locate copies of any rosters with the names of any of the American volunteers (and the troop each was posted to) or any detailed reports relating to the actions during this period. The only rosters I have currently are related to some of the Americans who became killed, missing, or wounded.

In regard to the American Troop commanders for No. 1 Commando Group, I believe those leaders to be the following (I do not know which troop each led though):

1st Lt. Thomas M. Holt (Captured on/about 05-Dec-1942)
1st Lt. Jack A. Marshall
1st Lt. Mark T. Martin, Jr.
1st Lt. Devere O. Thompson (Captured, but escaped - died in 1944)

In regard to the American Troop commanders for No. 6 Commando Group, I believe those leaders led the following Troops:

7 Troop
1st Lt. 1st Lt. Nelson F. Kibbler

8 Troop
1st Lt. Joseph W. Milling, Jr.

9 Troop
1st Lt. Paul E. Batchelor (Wounded), believe 2nd Lt. Earl A. Ferguson took command afterwards

10 Troop
1st Lt. John D. Meador (Wounded 12-Dec-1942)

I would appreciate any assistance in building this list and confirming and correcting this information. This will be related to my research on the wartime casualties of the U.S. 34th Infantry Division during WWII.

Thanks,

Craig Johnson

Forum Index » Profile for cnmj5196 » Messages posted by cnmj5196
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger