commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Iris Little
Forum Index » Profile for Iris Little » Messages posted by Iris Little
This is another photo of my Dad James King A troop 45 Royal Marine Commando, which was found in the Imperial War Museum.

James (or Jim as he was liked to be called) is the Commando centre of the picture lying down with the rifle
Hello Paul

Thankyou for your reply.

For instance on my Fathers records it show's that he disembarked UK August 1944 and didn't embark for N.W.E until Jan 1945.
Surely he couldn't have been on leave for that length of time when there was a war going on.

Regards
Iris
Could anyone please tell me how often and for how long Commando's would have be allowed home leave during their time in North West Europe?

Would my Father have had time to embark at Portsmouth and visit his Family in The North East before returning to war duties
Hello Mike and Thankyou for your information.

I sent an email to the Royal Marines Association yesterday before I received your message asking if they could help with my research.

This is the reply I received this morning:

5 Battalion, part of 101 RM Brigade, took part in Operation MENACE, at Dakar, Senegal, at the dates you give. There is no shortage of information on this operation eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dakar

Mark Bentinck FRHistS

Royal Marines Historian, Naval Historical Branch, No 24 Store, PP20, Main Road, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, PO1 3LU.

Civ Tel:02392 720010. Mil Tel 9380 20010. Fax 02392 724003

Kindest Regards
Iris
Hi Mark.

I'm very confused now as Dad's records say's he Embarked Princes Beatrix, Pem Dock 29.6.1940 and arrived S Fort 9.7.1940.

The records don't say which ship he sailed on for the trip to Siera Leon, I just presumed it must be the Beatrix as this was the one he had sailed on 2 months previously.

Regards
Iris
Hi John.

Thankyou for your reply, sadly I'm not sure your information helps me.

According to my Dad's records he left liverpool with 5th btn RM on the 31st Aug 1940 and arrived Ftreetown on the 14th Sept 1940.
He then left Freetown on 20th Sept 1940 and returned to Freetown again on the 28th Sept 1940, finally leaving Freetown on 6th October 1940 and arriving Gibralter on the 15th Oct 1940. he then left Gibralter on 18th Oct 1940 and arrived Glasgow area on 27th Oct 1940.

I hope this makes sense.

Regards
Iris
Could anyone please tell me why My Late Father would have gone to Siera Leon on the Princes Beatrix in 1940 when he was in 5th Btn Royal Marine's before he became a 45 Commando ?.

Was this part of his training or was it something to do with the war?.
James King "A" Troop 45 RM Commando

James far left his Brother Tommy far right.

This is Band Jimmy formed when he returned from the war and aptly named "The Commando Dance Band"
James King "A" Troop 45 RM Commando at an Arnham reunion with, who I'm told is a Dutch Brigadier.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

James King 1943.

I'm not sure wether he was in the Marines or the Commando's when this photo was taken, maybe someone will know by the uniform he's wearing.

Thankyou Mark.

I do have a few more photographs but I hope I'm not boring everyone with them.

When Dad came home from the war he formed a "Concert Party" which he aptly named " The Commando's Dance Band".
He played in most of the working mens clubs in the area in which we lived and they were a very popular band,
Dad also worked as a welder during the day.
I suppose it was his Commando training that gave him the stamina to hold down two jobs and work long hours to support his ever extending family.
He even delivered me when I was born as the midwife didn't turn up until some hours later, I am very proud of him and lucky to be able to say that Jimmy King 45 RM Commando was my Dad

I loved my Dad dearly, there's not a day goes by without thinking about him and wishing he was still here with us.
There are names written on the back of the above photo in my Fathers hand writing, they are Cassidy, Dowling, Nobby Clark, Blackie and Doc.

Do these names mean anything to anyone?
James King "A " Troop 45 R M Commando
James is second from the left

Could anyone please tell me if "A" Troop 45 Commando was in Arnham in 1944.

I have come across a photograph of My late Father being presented with a medal at a reunion in Arnham and I was wondering why he would be at an Arnham reunion if he hadn't served there during the war.

I remember Dad saying he was in Holland during the war and talking about parachutes but like all kids I didn't listen closely enough, I certainly wish I had now.
Thankyou All , for your help in trying to find out which troop my Late Father was in.

I'm thrilled to be able to tell you that after going through lots of old stuff in the loft, my Brother found some of Dads papers which tell us he was in "A" troop.
This find should, I hope, allow me to find out exactly where he was during the war in Germany.

Once again, from the bottom of my heart, Thankyou
Iris

Forum Index » Profile for Iris Little » Messages posted by Iris Little
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger