commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: James Wake
Forum Index » Profile for James Wake » Messages posted by James Wake
Thanks for clearing that up Pete, COBU it is.
It appears more and more likely that my dad was a member of the Combined Operations, 148 Commando. I have applied for some information from the pensions department and await confirmation of this, however I think it's fairly certain that he was the naval rating member of COBU FOO parties. These guys also worked closely with the SBS, and would explain why he was it would seem he was on Crete with the SBS as part of "Operation Albumen" in April 1942.

Thanks for all the help guys, please keep it coming if you can, I have found out so much in such a short time.
Very interesting read Stu.
Having read the details that you lay out, I would say that my father was a member of this unit during WW2.
My dad was a naval signal man, who related to me that his job was to land, with 4 others, prior to amphibious landings, then to position themselves to radio the fleet and direct bombardment. They stayed behind enemy lines for several days, continuing to call in strikes on gun positions, fuel dumps, etc.
He describes a team which included an army captain and sargeant. He did this in North Africa, Sicily and Italy.
Furthermore, he was involved in SBS landings on Crete, where they were tasked with attacking airfields, although he does say that they walked from one end of the island to the other only to find the airfield empty when they got there.
Are you aware of any historical records that may be of use to me in my quest to piece together my dad's military life?
Having read the details supplied by Markh, it triggered a memory that he told me he was injured, in Italy I think and was sent to hospital at "Kilmacombe"(no sue about spelling) after having a hole blown in his ear drum. Is there anyway of tracking him via his hospital admission?
Thanks for the really useful information, I will follow all the links and apply for the records that you request.

I will have to await confirmation but I believe he was in 40 Commamdo at Dieppe, he told me he never made the beach, spent quite sometime behind a burning tank in the water before swimming out to be picked up.

Although I don't recall him mentioning the COBU, the picture makes sense. he did mention during one of his recollections that the forward ops party was made up of 5 men, which included an Army Captain and Sargeant.

I would be happy to receive any further advise or comments and will now busy myself following the information already provided, thanks again.

James.
I am just beginning to research my fathers service history. I only have my conversations with him as a base.
He was originally in the Royal Navy but volunteered for and joined the Royal Naval Commandos. He was involved in the following, some in the RNC but some perhaps after joining the SBS.

Dieppe raid.
North Africa landings, I know he was in Tunisia.
Landing In Sicily and Italy.
Based in Alexandria.
Raid with SBS on airfields in Crete.
Finished the war in Haifa, working in the docks area.

My dad was a member of forward observation parties who landed prior to the main landings. He was a morse operator, part of a 5 man team that directed bombardments by the fleet. As part of this duty I am aware that he would often be behind enemy lines, coordinating strikes against enemy positions for days after landings.

Firstly does anyone know of him, Thomas Wake.
Secondly, are the duties listed those of a RNC or SBS.
Thirdly, where to from here? I have no records and would appreciate help in pointing me in the right direction.

Dad died nearly 6 years ago, so the information I remember him relating is all I have to go on.

Forum Index » Profile for James Wake » Messages posted by James Wake
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger