commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: alanlw
Forum Index » Profile for alanlw » Messages posted by alanlw
Philip Walker wrote:I am researching Lt Col Henry Courtney Brocklehurst - but in his earlier service as a Captain in the RFC and RAF during WW1. If Alan or anyone else has any information about his service in the Hejaz, Arabia during the Arab Revolt, 1916-18, I would be very interested to hear. I am particularly interested to trace any descendants or family members, to ask if there are any surviving photographs, letters, memoirs, miscellaneous papers and so on from this period, no matter how insignificant they may seem. The background is that I am writing a book on forgotten and little known intelligence and other officers who played important roles in the Arab Revolt, but who have stayed in the shadows because T. E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia") took all the limelight.

Hello Philip, I am researching Brocklehurst's whole life, also with the intention of writing a book on it eventually. I have quite a bit of info and photos of his time in the RFC but so far no suggestion of any involvement in any Arab revolt. Why don't you PM with your email address and we can then share information.

Alan
Many thanks again Steve. I did manage to find the Burma Rifle's file somewhere on-line.

Is there an exact date for the new quote? Is it another TNA document, if so could you supply the reference please?

Alan
NIC wrote:

Kevin's dad was WO Andrew O'Marah. http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/OMarah/

nick

Not a name I recognise from SSD2 I'm afraid.

Alan
Kevin wrote:Was SSD2 part of 204 who received the "every man for himself order"?
I'm sure that dad came out with SSD2 after a few months hard treck through the jungle.
Kevin

Not sure about the "every man for himself order". Who was dad? I have a copy of TNA's WO 361/185 which has witness statements about the evacuation with Brocklehurst. It lists most men who escaped at the time.

There are also two books on the subject. John Friend's "Long Trek", published in the 50s. Friend was one of Brocklehurst's NCOs in the retreat. However, names have been changed.

Also Pete Goode's father's account of the same journey is being published next month. It's called "No Surrender in Burma" by Fred Goode. I have my copy on order. Goode was taken prisoner along with a few others from SSD2.

Alan
Steve R wrote:I came across some references to Lt.Col Brocklehurst whilst transcribing the War Diary of the 14th Burma Rifles, WO 172/986.

It seems Brocklehurst and 2 SSD were in Taunggyi in April 1942 when the time came for British troops to evacuate the town, handing over responsibility to the Chinese. A Rear Party was formed under Brocklehurst, consisting of 2 SSD, 14th Burma Rifles and the Southern Shan States Battalion, Burma Frontier Force, Brocklehurst assuming command on 17th April 1942 (approximately). At 2000 hrs on 20th April, Brocklehurst ordered the evacuation of Taunggyi. This party stuck together as they withdrew until 30th April when it split into four parties, one of which was Brocklehurst with two other British officers and 20 British Other Ranks.

I can PM an extract from the diary or you will find the full transcript at my web site at www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb. The pdf is at http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/burmaweb/images/13th%20Burma%20Rifles%20WO%20172%20986%20-%20transcript.pdf

Just putting the finishing touches to the transcript and it will be up 19th or 20th September 2014.

Very many thanks for that, Steve! I knew he must appear in other places. It's great to have some exact dates for the evacuation of TGI.

At the end you say "From late 1941, C.O. of 2nd Special Service Detachment." Can you tell me where you found that statement as I have seen nothing quite so exact before. I don't know yet when he arrived in Burma although I know he was there by Xmas for a bombing raid on Rangoon. From what I read somewhere I thought SSD2 was set up later as a response to the Japanese invasion, but again, no exact date was given.

If you come across anything on Brock or SSD2 else please do let me know.

Alan
alanlw wrote:Thanks Nick,

I am at present composing an email to Peter Goode, so thanks very much for the email address.

Re War Office: Directorate of Staff Duties: Papers WO 260/8
Special training centre at Inverailort War Office.
Date: 1940

I have that down for my next visit to Kew, though I'm not sure it will reveal what I'm looking for.

Alas WO 260/8 only discusses setting up the Special Training Centre and establishment needed. No names.

Worth a try though. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Alan
Pete Keane wrote:Well, some success.

We now have 31 personnel from 142 Commando Company identified - primarily from Longcloth records.

As to which of these were Commandos, and which were Royal Engineers or other units, its a bit difficult to say, as none are identified by a Commando unit, only by original Regts if at all.

Logically, the next step would be to work on 204 Mission personnel, but I think I might do something easier for a while....

The chap doing the real work has sent me a database of names, I will try and post it up here for reference.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, Just come across this old posting of yours. I am researching Courtney Brocklehurst as he was a local lad. I have quite a lot of info on him but lots of gaps too, and info on how he got on Mission 204 and SSD2 is vague. I have read several books but most only mention him briefly.

Just wondered whether you managed to put together a list of the personnel and who was in SSD2?

Thanks.

Alan
john.f wrote:Dear Peter Goode,

I am Staff Sgt John Francis Friends grandson, my name is also John Francis Friend, My grandad past away 25 May 2003. I have been speaking to my dad who was my grandads only child John Friend, my dad has a box with a lot of my grandads info and personal affects which he carried with him through the two thousand mile journey through the jungle of Burma. From Speaking with my dad we may be able to help you with the unidentified Private. As after the war in 1952 a gentleman gave my dad a robin hood book with his name and a little quote in it. He was a Private and was also on the same mission as my grandad. My dad and I are going to go through the box in the next week or so which I am very much looking forward, and this may uncover more information about his long trek or also hold information which you require for your book. Please let me know if I can be of any help or assistance.

Hi John, My interest in local history has led me to researching the life of Lt Col. Courtney Brocklehurst who was in charge of SSD2. He was born close to where I live now.

I have copies of WO361/185 from TNA which consists mainly of witness statements taken trying to determine what happened to Brocklehurst, including your grandfather's. Happy to share those with you and any other bits and pieces I have gleaned. Would appreciate anything you have about Brocklehurst or the situation in general which is not in your grandfather's book, The Long Trek, which I've read and enjoyed.

I have been in touch with Peter Goode and am looking forward to seeing his book based on his father's account of the retreat.
Indeed, thanks. Hanging-Stone is 1/2 mile above our house.

The Rangoon Memorial info can be found here:

http://www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/Cemeteries/Rangoon_Memorial/B/html/br.htm

It says:

BROCKLEHURST, Lieutenant Colonel, HENRY COURTNEY, 135896. 10th Royal Hussars. Royal Armoured Corps. 28th June 1942. Age 54. Son of Sir Philip Lancaster Brocklehurst, J.P., D.L., and of Lady Brocklehurst (nee Dewhurst), of Macclesfield, Cheshire. Also served in R.F.C.

Having looked carefully at the documents in TNA I think Brocklehurst probably died a week or so later than stated.

Alan
Thanks Nick,

I am at present composing an email to Peter Goode, so thanks very much for the email address.

Re War Office: Directorate of Staff Duties: Papers WO 260/8
Special training centre at Inverailort War Office.
Date: 1940

I have that down for my next visit to Kew, though I'm not sure it will reveal what I'm looking for.

Alas, living in Staffordshire I have to mount a special expedition to go to the TNA so only go about 1x year. Good that more and more is getting on-line.

Will let you know if Peter and I make progress.

Alan

Many thanks.
Kevin wrote:I have a photo of the Bush Warfare Training School, It is a photo of Major English and other officers who were in command of the school when the 204 draft passed through en route for China, if I uplode the phote could we please attribute it to Major English? I have also letters written to me in the early 1980 by Major English.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I am researching Courtney Brocklehurst, who led Special Service Detachment 2 in Burma in 1942 and also attended the Bush Warfare School there. I would appreciate a copy of the photo of the school if you still have it, please, and of course, if you have any info on Brocklehurst that would be even better.
Thanks.

Alan
Hi Chris, I am researching Courtney Brocklehurst, who led Special Service Detachment 2 in Burma in 1942 and also attended the Bush Warfare School there. I would appreciate a copy of the photo of the school if you still have it, please, and of course, if you have any info on Brocklehurst that would be even better.
Thanks.

Alan
Thanks Nick.

Perhaps I may ask a question meanwhile?

There is some anecdotal evidence that Brocklehurst trained at Inverailort in 1940 or 1941 (in the books "Ian Fleming's Commandos: The Story of the Legendary 30 Assault Unit", by Nicholas Rankin, and "The commander: an autobiographical novel of 1940-1941" by Robert David Quixano Henriques) but have you any idea where I could find confirmation that he actually was there? Are there any lists of officers who passed through that estabishment, and if so, where are they kept?

Many thanks.

Alan
Regarding Peter Goode's queries about SSD2.

I am researching the life of Courtney Brocklehurst, the Lt Col who led SSD2. I have copies of the National Archives documentation mentioned (ref WO 361-185) and have conducted an analysis of all the various witness statements (there were five witnesses: Cornec, Singh, Bland, Amey and Friend) in order to try and understand better what happened and when. A certain Goode gets a mention briefly by two witnesses (Cornec and Friend). Jewan Singh, an Indian, also survived from Brocklehurst's group and in my view his witness statements are more reliable than Cornec's.

Happy to share what I have with Peter, as I would love to know more too.

There are also a number of books about Orde Wingate (of Chindits fame) that mention SSD2 briefly.

Alan

Forum Index » Profile for alanlw » Messages posted by alanlw
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger