commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Mark Smith
Forum Index » Profile for Mark Smith » Messages posted by Mark Smith
I got the picture from Marc De Bolster from the 47 R.M Commando Association so he would know more but I remember it was just prior to D-Day but I can't remember where. i'll try to find out.

Regards.
Mark
I spoke to Arthur on sunday and had a nice chat with him. He spoke quite fondly of Harold and told me about the fact that he was right next to Harold when he was shot as they attacked a german gun implacement on Walcheren. The best part for me was the fact that he was able to tell me about Harold as a man such as the comments that Harold was always smart and 'looked like a soldier and walked like a soldier'. He also told me that Harold could speak french which we would never have known had it not been for Arhtur.
In turn Arthur seemed please to find out a little about Harolds family and the fact that we are still thinking about him and keeping his memory alive after all these years.
I'd like to say a big thank you to Pete for alerting me to Arthurs existence and for arranging for me to speak to him. This really was a fantastic opportunity. Thank you.

Mark Smith
'A' Troop 47 R.M Commando with Harold Plank 4th from left in the second row from the front and I think Capt. Cousins in the middle of the same row.
Thanks very much Pete and Jack.
thank you for your reply. It would make sense because I know that one of my other great uncles was in the royal tank regiment. Thank you very much for your advice it's much appreciated.
Just realised I have two more photos from distant cousins from the Plank family who contacted my sister and then me whilst researching the family. They both feature Harold Plank plus two of his mates. As with the previous photo I'd be very intersted if anyone can identify either the location or the other two men in the pictures.
Hi everyone and a happy new year!
During the christmas period having lent my copy of "From Omaha to the Scheldt" to my mother she gave it back to me along with a group of original photos of my great uncle Harrold Plank of 47 R.M. Commando.I had already seen most of them and had contributed some to the 47 gallery on the site but one of them I had not seen before.It appears to be a group of R.M Commandos but I cannot identify Harrold amongst them. I assume the photo must have something to do with him since he was the only member of our family to serve in the R.M. Commandos to my knowledge.
I have attached the picture in the hope that someone may recognise something or someone which will help to identify it's origin.
Thanks in anticipation.
Hi everybody, I'd just like to post a couple of pictures of Harold and two others that were sent to me by a newly discovered relative of mine and Harold's. I wonder if anyone can identify the location or the other two in the picture. Harold is in the middle in both pictures.
Thanks.
Just thought I'd show everyone this picture of my Great uncle Harold Plank's entry in the Westminster Abbey Commando roll of honour which was taken for me by the good people at the library there particularly Christine Reynolds who arranged it for me.
Thanks Danny that's very helpful.

Mark.
Were service certificates issued to Royal Marines who died in action and if so is it possible to obtain a copy?

mark Smith.
Really interesting film. My great uncle Harold plank was killed at Walcheren.
Pete wrote:Hi Mark

Andy is correct they are his stripes of corporal rank. The service record in the corner shows he was promoted corporal and then sgt. He is shown as having one good conduct badge as far as I can see on the record. As he was in the Marines this would be a Navy record. The stripes above his Corporal stripes may be the good conduct format for the Marines at the time - not sure. You should contact the Royal Marines Museum.

http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/index2.html

For those that have not seen it here is a link to a roll of honour for 47 RM Commando on which Harold Plank is named

http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co.uk/rm-museum/47_commando.htm

Finally Mark I have created an album in the CVA Gallery for 47 RM Commando and placed Harold's picture there. Here is a quick link to view it:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/Royal+Marine+Commando+Units/47RM+Commando/TSM+Harold+Plank+47+RM+Cdo.JPG.html

Regards
Hi Pete. Ido have another photo of Harold in his dress uniform if you would like to put that in the album.

Regards. Mark.
Thanks very much for your help and thanks Pete for adding the picture to the album. Now I've looked at other pictures of him such as his wedding photos I can see he has tree stripes so that must have been after he was promoted. I'll try and find out about the other badge.

Thanks again.
Mark.
Just found the photo of Harold Plank and he appears to have two chevrons on his left sleeve so is that two good conduct badges or are they something else? Also does anyone know what the dark virtical stripes are on his left shoulder?

Mark.

Forum Index » Profile for Mark Smith » Messages posted by Mark Smith
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger