commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Pete
Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Here's a BBC item about him partly filmed in January 2011. Major Majendie has been given The Times/Sternberg Active Life Award in recognition of his dedication to the visits for fellow ex-servicemen and their families. Quite a remarkable man.

http://youtu.be/lgEEhvcBMiA
It is with much sadness that I inform you of the death last month of CSM Kenneth Disney of No. 5 Commando.

Rest in peace Kenneth
Not sure if Evelyn will see this entry, but if so may I recommend you register on our forum. There is a website regarding the Memorial and it mentions Eric Gotts. I will try and see if I can find out more

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/Antingham.html

In the meantime the nearest Royal British Legion is 6 miles away and they may be able to assist in making some enqs.

31 Norwich Road, Cromer, Norfolk NR27 0BA, tel. 01263 512178

Pete R.
Janet has sent me a recent short article about Bill's recollections of D Day published in the 'Voice of Pelham'.

( Click on download to read the article )

There is now an album containing 2 photos of Arthur le Mesnil Salisbury in our No.6 Commando Gallery which can be viewed on the link below. My thanks to his his grandaughter Chris for providing them:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/6/salisbury/

Pete R.
Hi Simon

I have passed on your thanks to Eric Buckmaster . I will also pass on your comments here. He continues to be a great help to me , and in the past to many others like yourself.

Just so others know, Eric remembered Paddy Donovan and let us know that Paddy had in fact been in 5 troop along with Eric and his brother Stanley, as well as my father and uncle. Eric passed on a few of his memories about Paddy. I also managed to find Paddy's name in a note book of 5 troop contacts that my father kept post war. I know Eric would not mind me posting his words here as a small tribute to Paddy, and I hope Simon this will be ok with you.

Eric said this :

?With regard to Paddy Donovan, he was a delightful very Irish Irishman. He was of Medium Height, but very sturdily built. Physically strong but gentle & whimsical. When you spoke with him he always had a broad smile. Liked a pint. His counterpart in the Troop was Paddy Deighan who was by contrast very slim build.

I remember Paddy Donovan falling out with ( name removed ) who had kicked a dog which came into the camp, and Paddy Donovan was so indignant that they nearly came to Blows. We had to stop them .

My brother Stanley spoke with a natural London ( Cockney ) accent. Whereas I had worked in Offices and had " Poshed " up my voice, due to answering telephones. Paddy Donovan came to me one day and said " Hey Buckie, how come you and your Kid went to different Schools together ". ( We both went to the same School ).

I met Paddy Donovan only once after the War at a London Re-union, he was working in Security with Cyril Lima at Heathrow Airport

Regards, Eric.?

With his comments about Eric's accent it sounds like Paddy had a good sense of humour as well! I have cropped a photo of Paddy and placed it here.

Regards

Pete R.
Another excellent quality photo of a No.2 Commando reunion has just been received from Simon Craddock whose great uncle was Paddy Donovan of 2 troop.
This photo includes Earl Mountbatten of Burma, Charles Newman and Jack Churchill.

If you know any names please post them here or send me a pm:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Cdo+vets/No2Cdo+Reunion+copy.jpg.html

Pete
Hi Simon

I have responded to the pm you sent me. Have I got the right man. Is he also in this photo of No.2 Commando Veterans, between my father, Joe Rogers, and Bill Humble?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Cdo+vets/Reunion+-1.JPG.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Pete

Great photo..have added the names supplied by John and sent a copy to Eric Buckmaster to see if he can help out with anymore. I think I spot Harry Lumm and Cyril Lima in there but I'll wait until Eric responds

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/2/2+Cdo+vets/2+Commando+Reunion+1946+courtesy+of+Jim+Ruston.jpg.html

Pete R.
Record added to a personal album for Willem Timmer in the 2 troop 10IA Cdo. gallery

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/10IA/Dutch/timmer/

Pete R.
This is an extract of the MOD release on the death of Lance Corporal Martin Joseph Gill. The full release with all the tributes can be read here :

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/LanceCorporalMartinJosephGillRmKilledInAfghanistan.htm

It is with sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Lance Corporal Martin Joseph Gill from 42 Commando Royal Marines was killed in Afghanistan on Sunday 5 June 2011.
LCpl Gill deployed with his Multiple as part of a patrol in the area of Adensee in the Nahr-e Saraj (South) district in Helmand province. The aim of the patrol was to assess the atmospherics, meet and talk with local nationals, and disrupt insurgent activity in the area, in preparation for future operations. The Multiple was an hour into its patrol when it was engaged by small-arms fire from a nearby compound. LCpl Gill was hit and fatally wounded, and, despite being administered immediate first aid, tragically died of his wounds.

LCpl Gills' brother, John-Daniel, sister, Rebecca, and girlfriend, Lauren, said:

"Martin Joseph Gill was proud to be a Royal Marine. He was always up for a challenge, and unfortunately died doing what he had always wanted to do. He was the life and soul of every party, beloved and cherished by everyone. Martin will be deeply loved and missed forever. Rebecca, John-Daniel, and Lauren xxxxxx"

Lieutenant Colonel Ewen Murchison Royal Marines, Commanding Officer, 42 Commando Royal Marines, Coalition Force Nad 'Ali (North), said:

"Lance Corporal Martin Gill or 'Fish', as he was known by his mates, was a Marine of rare quality. Despite his mum dying only weeks before the start of the tour, he was exceptionally keen to deploy; this was the mark of the man: passionate and dedicated to his profession and utterly loyal to his friends and fellow Marines. Joining the Unit last September, he immediately stood out, impressing with his first class professional standards, innate leadership skills and unrivalled spirit and determination. As a result, he was promoted to Lance Corporal only three months later, a clear indication of his considerable ability and potential; he undoubtedly had a bright future ahead of him. His friends described him as 'morale in a box'. Only last week he made an Afghanistan Monopoly board to keep his colleagues entertained; he was quick-witted and a constant source of banter. A real team player, he was the first to volunteer for the most challenging tasks and was an immensely popular and characterful member of Kilo Company. The eulogies written by his friends more than bear this out - they looked up to him and loved him like a brother. A true hero, he died taking the fight to the enemy in the finest traditions of the Royal Marines: selfless, resolute, and courageous to the end, he now joins the distinguished list of Corps legends and will be sorely missed, but his sacrifice will be remembered for all time. The death of Lance Corporal Gill is an appalling tragedy and today is a truly sad day for 42 Commando. We have lost a brave young Marine and it has hit the Unit hard. However, our grief is nothing compared to that of his loved ones; at this most testing time our thoughts and prayers are with his brother, John-Daniel, sister, Rebecca, and girlfriend, Lauren; may they find the strength and courage to face the difficult days ahead.

Lieutenant Colonel James de la Billiére, Commanding Officer, 1st Battalion The Rifles, Coalition Force Nahr-e Saraj (South), said:

"Lance Corporal Gill had been operating as a member of Kilo Company, 42 Commando Royal Marines, within the 1 RIFLES Battle Group in Nahr-e Saraj for just under two months. At the time of his death, he and his Multiple had already conducted some spectacular work, both partnering the Afghan Police and clearing out pockets of insurgents who were destroying the local community. His contribution as a commander was vital in these early successes, and his commitment, bravery and selflessness in making other people's lives better was second to none. His sacrifice will not go wasted, and, this evening, I witnessed the resolve of his close-knit team to step back out and continue the great strides of progress they had made together already. Lance Corporal Gill was quite evidently a remarkable commander, Royal Marine and friend to many. In this impossibly difficult time, our thoughts and prayers go to his loved ones and family who once again, in too short a period of time for any family to have to bear, have to deal with such enormous tragedy.

"Swift and Bold - we honour you and will never forget you."

Warrant Officer Class 2 Jay Reed Royal Marines, Company Sergeant Major, Kilo Company, 42 Commando Royal Marines, said:

"Lance Corporal 'Fish' Gill joined Kilo Company shortly after myself, and instantly I had an affinity with him as we were both the new boys in town. He quickly established himself as a Black Knight and displayed all of the exacting standards expected. In doing so, he was rapidly promoted to Lance Corporal. I enjoyed his dry humour, which never failed to raise a smile. My thoughts go out to his family during this difficult time."

"Once a Black Knight, always a Black Knight".

Colour Sergeant Scott Ferguson, Company Quartermaster, Kilo Company, 42 Commando Royal Marines, said:

"Lance Corporal Gill, 'Fish', embodied the finest attributes of a Royal Marine Commando. He displayed selflessness, courage and loyalty throughout his time within Kilo Company. 'Fish' was a true family man who had endured so much over the last few months. He was always willing others to smile with his cheeky grin. The butt of many a joke and maker of more, he maintained a type of morale that hopefully we can sustain throughout the remainder of our tour. Our thoughts are with his friends and family at this sad time. See you at the other side Royal."

Sergeant Baz Weston, Check Point SAQRA Troop Sergeant, Kilo Company, 42 Commando Royal Marines, said:

"'Fish' was an outstanding Royal Marines Commando. He was the Troop Sharpshooter, not just because he was a good shot, but because of his thorough professionalism, diligence and focus on every task set. He was always the first to move to an overwatch position to keep the Troop protected, and always second in the patrol to keep the Vallon man protected. Selfless in his courage, a true 'Oppo' to everyone in the Troop and he will be sorely missed."

We will remember them
Today is the 67th anniversary of the D Day landings.

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/France+Cemeteries/HERMANVILLE-sur-Mer+cemetery/

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/France+Cemeteries/RANVILLE+War+Cemetery/

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/France+Cemeteries/BAYEUX+Cemetery/

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/France+Cemeteries/BANNEVILLE-LA-CAMPAGNE+War+Cemetery/

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+War+Graves+Memorials+and+Plaques/graves/France+Cemeteries/DOUVRES-la-DELIVRANDE/

These are only a few of the many who died on this day and after.

We will remember them

And here is a cropped section of Andy's photo showing the tall man who is Pte Robert Ollerenshaw

Additionally as the photo of the Commando Service Certificate did not display here is a resized version which should.

I have emailed Andy to advise him that it is best to keep everything on the one message. There were 3 created and that can only cause confusion. I will transfer the items from the other messages onto here and this will be the working forum message.

Andy initially posted this on the 2nd June:

4347481 PTE. R.OLLERENSHAW, W.YORKS)
HI, some medals and pay book. to this chap.,i would love to know all about him,,and his service,in ww2,, if you could help, i would be gratefull . i will suply all the info i can,from his service book. if it will help. I do hope that some one will remember him, or at some point was with him.. i would love to find some of his family ,,all i know that he was from west yorkshire, huddersfield ?. will post a photo of ,the items .take a look please and ask .will do my best to repl

The same day Nick replied :

Hi, Welcome to the CVA.
I'm afraid I can't tell you much about Pte Ollerenshaw that you don't know already other than, judging by the signature on his Commando Service Certificate, he ended his Commando Service in November 1945 at the HOC (Holding Operational Commando) at Wrexham.

Although the photo of the documents are not particularly clear, the signature is quite distinctive and is known to me and I know that the officer concerned (A Captain) was at HOC at the time.

If you can provide scans of any documents and photos, we may be able to uncover further info.

Nick

Andy further added that day:

thank you will try to get good scans of the book and of the small photo. and will post as soon as i can, thank you andy

Forum Index » Profile for Pete » Messages posted by Pete
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger