commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Bob Bishop
Forum Index » Profile for Bob Bishop » Messages posted by Bob Bishop
Hey - annonymous - glad to hear mention of another No. 2, however, we don't know your name or your grandfather's. Please write in to let us know.

Geoff. We too are trying to come up with something appropriate. It is a very good idea.

Is there a list available of all members of the Association, not just the Forum participants, including the pertinent details of connections and/or interests in the Commandos?

Hopefully this will enable us to get in touch with former members of No. 2 and help others in their searches.

Thanks

Janet & Bob
May we join in expressing our sadness at hearing this news. Unfortunately we did not have the privilege of meeting Vic like some of you. Hopefully, at some time, more will be written of him by those that knew him well. I know we would be most interested to hear of his life.

Our best to all,

Bob & Janet
Dear Steve:

Regarding your Dad's service in No. 7 Commando, it is going to be somewhat difficult to contact survivors of that unit. As you probably know, the members of No. 7, along with other Commando formations which comprised 'Layforce', were disbanded on August 1, 1941 and returned to their various regiments with some going to the newly-formed Special Air Service unit under David Stirling.

From the dark days following the end of the fighting on Crete, one published quote is worth recounting:

"I smashed my tommy-gun in rage against the rocks in a fury of disgust. I was 25 years old and four years of my youth were to be wasted in P.O.W. camps."

We appreciate what a bad time your Dad must have encountered, but we are glad that Hitler's infamous 'Commando Execution Order' was not promulgated until October 18, 1942.

We do hope that Fred had a happy and prosperous life to make-up for the hardships that he endured and we will remember him in comradeship.

Best Regards,

Bob & Janet
Hi Stephen. I'm afraid I can't, I've been trying for 4 years now.

As Bob says - there were 162 MCs, 14 double MCs so there are 175 other histories somewhere.

Janet
Hi John - It's the Canadian Legion tie. Look forward to seeing you there too.
You are both so right. The instant they put on the green berets - they straightened even more, looked very intense and far away. It was quite impressive and I'm so glad the camera captured it a bit.

Janet
Here is a picture of 'Mike Stilwell' taken when my wife, Janet, and I visited the Major and his family at his Sintra, Portugal home last year.

As far as I can determine, Major Michael Stilwell, CBE, M.C., is the senior officer still with us who had the highest rank in No. 2 Commando during the war years.

The Major will turn 87 on his next birthday, July 10th, 2007. He well remembers fondly all ranks who served with him and we spent many hours recalling those days during our visit.

Thanks - We will try to bring a bunch of poppies with us to Fort William this November.

just testing to see if I've got this straight.

Janet & Bob
Thanks for bringing this to the attention of all, Geoff. The ad for this appeared in the current "Legion" magazine, so I'm sure that is what brought it up. I checked it out to see what it was all about. Bob was upset - just a money-making scheme. He did say the only way it would have any meaning would be if the CVA was managing it. Then it would not be available to just anybody. He does feel the same about all the 'medals' worn by our Canadian Legion members who sometimes resemble decorated Christmas Trees! We love your evaluation of this junk as chocolate box decorations. Wish we had thought of the term.

All the best - stay safe,

Janet & Bob Bishop
Hi Bluefrog (what is your real name?)

I haven't been back to Spean Bridge since 1942 when I finished at Achnacarry. However, my wife, Janet, and I are planning to make the trek this November. Perhaps we will meet up there then.

Do you have any particular interest in No. 2 Commando - perhaps relatives or friends?

1. The badge always had the fighting knife pointing downwards.

2. Yes, the story that the O.R.s badges with just the knife on a black background were made from spoons is correct. It was a tedious job, - (spoons were not provided).

3. Officers simply put one of the S.S. initials and knife shoulder patches onto their headgear. This was made from silver wire thread on black felt cloth. All ranks had to purchase this insignia themselves from unit H.Q.

4. The current example of the metal S.S. initials and fighting knife pointing downwards is one currently available and seems to be worn by all 2 Commando veterans when they are at veterans events.

5. If this sounds confused, the rule was that officers got to wear the S.S. and knife on their beret and O.R.s wore the knife only. This rule was not changed during the period of 2 Commandos existence (1940-1945)

Re Archives searches

This was posted earlier as a reply, but think it would be easier accessed as a New Topic. Hope it helps.

Hi - Being in Canada we were unable to attend to search for War Diaries of No. 2 Commando.

We were provided with the following information:

If making a personal visit is inconvenient, you may wish to ask a friend to visit for you, or to hire an independent researcher, you can find a list of independent researchers via the following link:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/irlist/

At that site, searched Army - Operations Records, located and contacted Peter Gardner at [email protected]. We provided him with the dates and information we were interested in. He spent quite a few months searching, copying and then forwarded the material to us (for a reasonable fee of course.)

The material is most interesting to read, but also frustrating due to the practice of not naming ORs nor giving them the appropriate credit due. I was able, however, to recall certain names and events from what was provided.

Lots of luck in your search.

Re Archives searches

Hi - Being in Canada we were unable to attend to search for War Diaries of No. 2 Commando.

We were provided with the following information:

If making a personal visit is inconvenient, you may wish to ask a friend to visit for you, or to hire an independent researcher, you can find a list of independent researchers via the following link:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/irlist/

At that site, searched Army - Operations Records, located and contacted Peter Gardner at [email protected]. We provided him with the dates and information we were interested in. He spent quite a few months searching, copying and then forwarded the material to us (for a reasonable fee of course.)

The material is most interesting to read, but also frustrating due to the practice of not naming ORs nor giving them the appropriate credit due. I was able, however, to recall certain names and events from what was provided.

Lots of luck in your search.

Forum Index » Profile for Bob Bishop » Messages posted by Bob Bishop
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger