commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Kevin
Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Jack, my father was a foreman/ganger with the GPO in Port untill the late 60's early 70's. and there was I think a Dutch Commando, (Bill Timmer)? working with him in the same gang, as being ex Commandos they were good friends. Have you any record of Bill as I have a vauge memory of him with my father and at the childrens christmas party that the GPO used to have, but have lost contact over 40 odd years ago.

Kevin

Have you any photos of your grandfather? If so he might be here(photo Gallery)?

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/1+cdo+grp/Copy+of+Stage+10-numbered+copy.jpg.html

Kevin
What next?
Finished and Framed
Finished this for framing at 2.30am this morning for our Australian friends we met in Belgium a few years ago and are giving us a visit next week.
Half way there?
Hi, Geoff my father knew Tommy Preston very well during and after the war and were in contact as they lived only a few miles appart my father was also formerly RWF no.4185353 but enlisted in 1922, I'm sure Idris would know more about Tommy, If Andy Maines picks up on this thread he might ask Idris for some info. I did contact Tommys other son Eddie a few years ago but did not get a positive responce therefore no other contact was made.

Kevin
Looks good so far
Anne, you could try

Henry Morris

Curator, Jewish Military Museum

London NW4
I would still lean towards No 10 Commando as they were involved in the area you mention during WW2.
As to finding photos of your father as I have found that can be pure luck?

Kevin
I think that the names of individuals were destroyed circa 1946 during the cold war to prevent reprisals?
Kevin
Some of the names of No10 Commando

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/ww2/sugar13.html

Kevin
Hi Anne, Jack and Andy.
Could he have been in 3 Troop-Jewish No.10(Inter Allied) Commando. Some were German Jews and advised to join up under an assumed name.
A quote from Ron Goldstein's book No.3 (Jewish) Troop, No.10 Commando-
"One of the best kept secrets of WW2, however, has been the nature of the existence of No. 3 (Miscellaneous or "X" Troop) of the unique No. 10 (Inter-Allied) Commando/Special Services Brigade. The reason? They were virtually all German speaking Jewish refugees mainly from Germany and Austria (but also some from Czechoslovakia, Hungary and other European countries).
So this might be why Anns father was so secretive about his military past?

Kevin
Nic, will this do?
Nic, many thanks for the kind words. It's a form of total chill out for me (if you knew me you would never imagin in a million years that I stay up late on my days off and do this).
The most difficult thing is to think of a topic, and to see if It would work out. I copy, print, count etc and modify as I go along, the Chindits logo would not work out tidy with a circular background, so I modified to an octagon. What to start next on my seven days off?

Kevin

Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger