commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: MBrockway
Forum Index » Profile for MBrockway » Messages posted by MBrockway
Spotted this group photo of D Troop, 45 Royal Marine Commando over on the WW2Talk forum.

The poster over there has unfortunately blurred his scan of the actual photograph, but the main interest is probably in the list of names - helpful for anyone working on a nominal roll for this unit.

The photo (apologies - I do not know how to resize an embedded image!) ...

Also October 1945 is outside 'wartime', but I have posted here as many of the men would certainly have seen active service.

The full topic ...
http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/possible-help-with-identifying-commando-ssi.68744/

If anyone has information on Marine William EDDY, I'm sure the poster over there would appreciate it.

Contacting the OP over on the WW2Talk forum might elicit a less blurred scan of the image :D .

Mark
Just in case you were all wondering ... this does appear to be 'no duff' ...

There's a file at the National Archive Ref WO 189/444 titled 'Field experiment using LSD25 on trained troops'

See: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C5097319

The file hasn't been digitised, but I might see if I can get a Pal to photograph it - is it a big file Andy?

Cheers,
Mark

We will remember them
76 years ago HMS Campbeltown with her accompanying flotilla of ML's and MGB's was minutes away from crashing the outer gate of the Normandie Dock and beginning the St Nazaire Raid.

We shall not forget all those who took part.
MBrockway wrote:This search box now seems to only appear on certain pages.

Is this deliberate, or has there been a technical glitch?

Mark

Be aware that if you are running any sort of adblocker or anti-tracking utility with your browser, these may cause the new Google search toolbar to NOT display.

This was what was happening in my case. By tweaking the Trust settings, I have now managed to get it back again!

Mark
Remembering Tom McCormack, who succumbed in Rennes 75 years ago today from the wounds he sustained in Operation Chariot .

He will not be forgotten.

Mark
This search box now seems to only appear on certain pages.

Is this deliberate, or has there been a technical glitch?

Mark

Remembering today all those who took part in Operation Chariot at St Nazaire 75 years ago.

We will remember them.

Remembering today on the 73rd anniversary of his death, Tom McCormack.

Many here will know the very moving picture of Tom sitting kilted on the dockside critically injured, but I prefer to remember him in cheerier times in Pete's picture below.

Not forgotten

Another year gone and remembering today the passing of Tom

Not forgotten

Remembering those who took part in Operation Chariot 74 years ago today.

HMS Campeltown rammed the gates of the Normandie Dock at 01:36 hrs Saturday 28 March 1942.

We shall remember them
Spotted an interesting snippet about commando training on the Isle of Skye in the Mountain Bothies Association 2014 Annual Review.

The article concerns the new replacement for the Camasunary Bothy in the Cuillins of the Isle of Skye, which has just been completed by the commando sappers, 59 Commando Field Squadron, Royal Engineers.

The landowner there, Alan Johnson, tells this quick story ...

"During the last war, the Commandos training at Lochaber did a live fire exercise at Camasunary, landing in the little rocky bay at the east end of Camasunary Bay, and attacking a boathouse at the top end of Loch Na Creithach. Remnants of that building can still be seen.

Ever since then, that little bay has been known by my family as Commando Bay. Perhaps there is some quirk of history here, given that 59 Squadron have built the bothy on virtually the same site about 60 years on.
"
Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson is taken the original Camasunary Bothy back into use by his family, but has commissioned the new replacement bothy built by the commando sappers just along the shore at Commando Bay. See the map attached.

Major Iain Lamont, OC 59 Commando Squadron, RE, gave a nice quote:
"We were absolutely delighted to be involved. Building the new bothy was exactly the arduous training opportunity that I was looking for. We have really been tested, working hard, isolated, and battered by the weather. I?m over the moon that the walking and mountaineering community will benefit from it in years to come."

I'm sure many Achnacarry 'graduates' from WW2 would know exactly what he means!

I have the full article available as a PDF, but it's too large to attach here. Send me a message if you'd like a copy.

There's an abridged version of the article here: http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/news-general-item.asp?item_id=659

And this webpage has some good photos: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=69290

Anyone know anything about this exercise?

Cheers,
Mark
Here are a couple of views of this famous boulder in the Lost Valley ...
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/664672
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2158891

They are both looking SW up the valley.

The winter shot shows the second boulder further to the right (NW)

I take your point made elsewhere about it being a long walk-in just to go climbing when there are plenty of good slabs available much closer to the roadside.

As well as climbing, the Lost Valley is a good place to practice bivvying and setting up OP's. Maybe that could have been a factor.

It's an amazing place, definitely worth the walk-in.

Mark

Remembering today Tom McCormack, Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5 (Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando, who 73 years ago died of wounds sustained in Operation Chariot in hospital in Rennes on 11 April 1942.

Tom was on the open decks of HMS Campeltown when she rammed the dock gate and then formed part of Donald Roy's force protecting the bridge the demolition parties had to use to reach the Old Mole after they had completed their tasks.

He received several serious injuries including a critical grenade wound to the head.

Mark
Remembering Tom today on the anniversary of his death in Rennes from wounds sustained during Operation Chariot.

Mark

Forum Index » Profile for MBrockway » Messages posted by MBrockway
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger