commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Kevin
Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Hi Malcolm

I'm sure you feel gutted as II would in seeing your fathers personal memorabilia listed in what seems such a strange manner. I hope you get to the bottom of this and let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Kevin
Deano, you might have a long wait for his service record, I requested one about two months ago and as others have posted, recieved a reply that It would take between ten and twelve months or my money back If I wanted.
It just goes to show that you should do these things when It first comes to mind, anyway all the best.
Kevin
My cousin Martin is looking for any info about his late father Fred Couture,
The only information given is that Fred was born in Woolwich East London in 1921 and known to have served in 41 Commando, taken as POW by the Germans date unknown, returned to Penrhyndeudraeth north Wales for R & R where he met his future wife(Martins mother).
Cheers
Kevin
Dean, service number 915214 suggests that he was possibly in the Royal Artillery?
Army Numbers Block (721001-1842000) Royal Artillery.

Kevin
I'll give this a go?
Name of seated Commando not known?

[Moderator's note: I have inserted a slightly enhanced copy of this photo in the hope that the commando can be more readily identified.
Please contact me (or any of my fellow Moderators if you can recognise the dutch commando so that we can annotate his photo accordingly. Nick
Nic, sorry do barge in on your thread, could you please add these to your photo album? They photos of the wedding of Albert and Eileen? at Porthmadog with a group photo of Dutch Commando in the background, Willem Timmer is seated next to Albert (photo outside church). Some other photos but some names unknown. These were courtesy of Willem Timmers son Jan, (will try and get more photos)?

Kevin

[Moderator's note: The first set of photos refered to by Kevin asking for them to be uploaded into the gallery are now in the 2 Troop sub-album in the No10(IA) Album, Nick

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/10IA/Dutch/Marriage+of+Albert+and+Eileen.jpg.html]
mcdonald this link might help
http://www.gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs/fs_knife1.htm

Kevin
No Andy, It was taken from the net. Because of so many dodgy knives on sale, I now only collect commemorative knives.
Cheers
Kevin
Extracts from F/S website

"There are grips of 1st Pattern knives with numbers like this one.

Gordon Hughes the author of
'A Primer of Military Knives', believes that it is a serial numbers marked AFTER DELIVERY from WSC and Ron Flook agrees in his book with the comment that it is more likely that it is a store number (page 53 plate107)"
Is it like this, It could be the code of the metal used in producing the knife? Quantities of chrome/stainless steel. Just a thought as with some other knives there is a steel code stamped?
Numbers on kit bag pure coincidence?
Kevin
NIC wrote:Kevin,

There is a photo in the Gallery, details courtesy of Jack, which has a Dutch commando called Timmer (presumably Bill) on it

Nick, that looks like the Bill I remember when I was a small boy, I'll try and get in contact with Bill's son he may have some photos etc.
Kevin
Jack Bakker wrote:Kevin,

I will have a look in our archive and see if I can find something about him. Was he a wartime commando as far as you know?

Jack, just found this on Google
"It marks the town's involvement with the lives of Dutch Commandos who spent six months training in the town in 1942. The service takes place at St John's Church,at 10.30am tomorrow .

The service and 11.30am dedication of a plaque at the Ffestiniog Railway's harbour station:

where the Commandos trained,have been arranged by Jan Timmer. His late father,Bill, was one of the commandos who married a local girl,Mair Eluned Williams,in 1943.
COPYRIGHT 2003 MGN Ltd.
When I next go to Port I'll get a photo and post it on site
Jack Bakker wrote:Kevin,

I will have a look in our archive and see if I can find something about him. Was he a wartime commando as far as you know?

I believs so.
Kevin
Have made a copy and drawing of Memorial, will require over 33,000 stitches to complete, a good few months work, so I'll give It a go?

Kevin

Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger