commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: NIC
Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Here is a link to a site that has a lot of well researched information, regarding Op Chariot:

http://www.jamesgdorrian.com/index.html

Pete,

Yes, their service number stayed the same throughout their Army Service.

Nick
Just to illustrate what Alison found:

Centaur CS IV at Pegasus Bridge

an armoured Caterpillar D7 bulldozer (one of 'Hobart's Funnies') similar to those discovered by Alison and her dive team
Here is a link to a report on Alison's dive:

http://www.bsac.org/news.216.htm

http://www.southseasubaqua.org.uk/

Nick
Andy,
Hi and welcome to the CVA forum.

Could I suggest that you make contact with Caroline (a registered member of this forum) who is the daughter of another Op Archery Veteran - Sniper Charles Stacey

OPERATION ARCHERY VETERANS - a photograph of the 7 veterans who attended a commemorative trip to Vaagso and Maaloy in 2005.

Left to right - Charles Stacey, Arthur Ashby, Tom Sherman, Paddy (laurence) Murphy, Paddy (Patrick) Habron, Dusty (Osmond) Miller, Henry Brown (Commando Association)

Caroline posted an interesting anecdote about Charles when he returned to Vaasgo in 2005. (see link below)

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/345.page
Pete Keane wrote:

I don't know if there are unit rosters available, but if there are I would appreciate any help.

Regards

Pete Keane

Geoff Murray (The CVA National Secretary) is currently working on 'They also Served' nominal rolls for each Commando Unit - there is already a Roll of Honour for each Commando (see Commando History on the menu on the left of this page).
The compilation of these nominal rolls involve painstakingly checking and cross-checking a huge amount of documentation.

in the meantime, should you need any help with the Application Forms for your grandfather's Service Records don't hesitate to ask - either on the open forum, by PM or by email...

Nick

Hi Pete,
Welcome aboard the CVA Forum...

I think you're right about which Commando you're grandfather served with - it was, in all probability either No1 or No5.

3 Special Service Brigade [as it was then], under the command of Brigadier W I Nonweiler, comprised of: No 1 Cdo, No 5 Cdo, No 42 RM Cdo & No 44 RM Cdo.

On 13 Nov 1943, No5 & 44RM embarked on the Reina Del Pacifico at Liverpool.

On 15 Nov 43 sailed to Gourock on the Clyde where they met with the main contingent of the convey which included Ranchi carrying No1, 42 RM & 3 SS Brigade HQ.

On 26 Nov 43 The convey, whilst passing Algiers, was attacked by German planes at 16.45hrs until 17.45 hrs. Ranchi was damaged and put into Alexandria for repairs.

On 19 Dec 43 Reina Del Pacifico docked at Bombay at 12.40hrs.

On 20 Dec 43, No5 & 44RM disembarked at 07.35, departed from Bombay railway station at 09.00hrs, arrived at Kedgaon (near Poona) at 17.40hrs.

On 15 Jan 44 The Dutch Troop, No10 (IA) Commando arrived.

On 21st Jan 44 No1 & 42 RM arrived after their enforced stay in Egypt.

I believe that the Brigade was (officialy) renamed as 3 Commando Brigade in December 1944

Good luck in your research,
Nick

Requiescat In Pace
Here is a link to a range of provided by the RM Museum's Archivist to assist those wishing to undertake research:

http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/category/researching-family-and-royal-marine-history
Please can the undermentioned be added to the No5 RoH.

All are listed on the Westminster Abbey RoH and listed in The Third Jungle Book, issue no9 (March '46), as having been in No5 Cdo.

4537642 Sgt Haldane F H M 15/03/44
3525354 Pte Bishop J 15/03/44
5190088 Pte Hodges J R 23/03/44

Thanks in anticipation,

Nick
A link to Maj Gen R E Laycock's papers as held in Kings College, London

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/lhcma/cats/laycock/la95-0.shtml

These papers are available to researchers and, I imagine, would make very interesting reading
Follow this link to the UK National Inventory of War Memorials (UKNIWM) to find War Memorials dedicated to Commando Units and Individuals.

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/useSearchSession/0/viewPage/1

Nick
Hi Diane,
Welcome to the CVA Forum.

Further to the info that Pete has given you here are a few more contact addresses that may be useful in your research

Below are various associations contact details and reunion dates:

40 RM Commando RM (1942-46) - Association - Mr P C Fisher, 15 Summerleaze Crescent, Taunton, Somerset TA2 8QE (01823 252193)

41 (Independent) Commando - Mr F Hayhurst, 3 Caernarvon Gardens, Plymouth PL2 3RY (01752 779589) (Last Saturday & Sunday in November each year)

42 Commando RM MT Section (1959-1962) Association - Mr R A Hunt, 26 Liddiards Way, Purbrook, Waterlooville, Hants PO7 5QW (02392 262427)

43 Commando 2nd Battalion - Mr W Iredale 53 Tinshill Road, Cookridge, Leeds LS16 7DR (01132 675679) (June 15th)

44 Commando (3RM) - Mr H J Phillips OBE QPM DL, Wychwood, 3 Hocombe Wood Road, Chandlers Ford, Hants SO53 5PN (02380 252467 or 07831 553210)

46 Commando - Mr R J Bettiss, 39 Beechfield Road, Fremington, Nr Barnstable, Devon EX31 3DB (01271 323013) (October)

47 Commando - Mrs C Snook, 16 Varrington Park Road, Wincanton, Somerset BA9 9DA (01963 34779)

48 Commando RM Association - Mr D Smith, 17 Glebe Way, Haddenham, Ely, Cambs CB6 3TG (01353 741716) (Memorial Service, Gravesend 3rd Sun in May. Pilgrimages: Normandy - Jun & Walcheren - Nov)

Nick
Greg wrote:Hi I have only just found this site and am sure that my dad is in both of the photo's. His name is Charles (Charlie) Patrick Edmonds, from Dublin and I am sure that he has both of these pictures himself.

Hope this helps in some way

Hi Greg,
Welcome aboard the CVA forum.
Presumably your dad was in No5 Cdo? And, if you think he is on both photos, I would assume that he must have been in 5 Troop?

As my father was in 5 Troop, No5 commando, I would be extremely interested in seeing any photos that he has posted on the forum and/or in the Gallery - especially if he can put a name to any faces.

As you can see, the second photo (with berets) is badly damaged and I do intend to restore it for the veteran who kindly gave it to me; however, if your father's copy is in better condition it would be far easier and more accurate if I was able to make a copy of that.

So far I have only met one veteran who served in the same troop as my father and that is Billy Moore. Billy, a great character, was Capt Kerr's (the Troop Commander) driver.

Nick
I know that John M and Norris were speaking to some of the local folk who wanted to assure everyone that they too were disgusted by the actions of the thieves.

I would, in turn, like to reassure the locals, that their hospitality over the weekend was outstanding and the local turnout for both of the Remembrance Services was fantastic and proved how loyal and proud they are of the Commandos and the history attached to the area.

Nick

Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger