commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: NIC
Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Steve,

I did the photo editing bit too and, like Pete. also came up with T*nton/J*nton, or T*ntch/J*ntch as the second name down!

I have Hutch as the bottom name which, together with your dad, would make him a common factor with your first group shot.

I have compared both photos and, if my theory is right, Hutch on the second photo (bare-chest, slouch hat and pipe) strongly resembles the guy on the first photo that you have labelled Pte Keogh (Trilby, tie).

Is it possible that the first photo has been labelled the wrong way around?

Nick
Mark,
Here is a portion of my father's Service Record.
23 Mar 44, Wounded in Action
24 Mar 44, SOS (Struck off Strength) of No5 Cdo and posted to X List(ii)(a).
25 Mar 44, Evacuated from the Theatre of Operation (Burma) to India
05 Apr 44, Transferred to 47 BGH (British General Hospital),
04 May 44,Transferred to 126 IBGH (Indian British General Hospital) Poona.
22 Jun 44, Transferred to 1 BCD & X list (iv)(b).
25 July 44, Discharged 1 BCD & proceeded to HQ Embarkation, Bombay, & Transferred to X list(v).
26 Sep 44, Embarked for Uk & SOS X list(v)
so, from being wounded it was 7 months before he was shipped back to UK!

Mark,
Presumably your grandfather (like my father) in Burma and India until such time that he was sufficiently recovered to be sent back to 'Blighty'.

If you want help deciphering your GF's Service Record just let me know and I'll give it a go...

also, can you tell me if Don Crisp was in No5? If so, I can add his name to the list I've posted in Wartime Commando Nominal Rolls.

Nick
Hi Robby & Steve,

I think it may be worth you both making contact with Scotty,

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/414.page

Nick
Steve,
A few mentions of leave in the Diary "From Bognor Regis to Hong Kong".

Page 8, 7th/10 Aug 44
14 days leave: some to sedate Hill Stations, etc, but many to the fleshpots (ie Bombay)

Page20, 26 Mar 45
Leave commenced and many places selected, but by far the most popular was Bombay, A public transport strike was in progress in Bombay, and most of theBritish Troops took over the jobs of Bus and Train drivers, and conductors.Later it was announced by the Bombay Transport Authority in the press that their financial receipts had never been higher!

Nick
Hi Rosie & Lorraine,

Thought you both may be interested in this address - it's the 43 RM Cdo Association

43 Commando 2nd Battalion - Mr W Iredale 53 Tinshill Road, Cookridge, Leeds LS16 7DR (01132 675679) (June 15th)

Apparently June 15 is the date of their reunion.

Good luck

Nick
Well done to Steve (silvo) Silvester for getting the National Archives to amend it's records.

Just after I'd posted a list of No5 Cdo names, Steve contacted me to inform me that he thought I'd spelt one particular name wrong.
Namely, Lt R J G Burtinshaw. [ KIA at St Nazaire, 28 March 1942]

Steve said that, according to his source [The National Archives], it should be Burtenshaw.
I double checked my sources [Commonwealth War Graves Commision (CWGC) and the Westminster Abbey Commando Roll of Honour], both said Burtinshaw.

Ironically the National Archives told Steve to check with the CWGC, in the meantime I checked both spellings with the London Gazette - they were both there.
In a supplement to the London Gazette dated 5 July 1945, Lt Burtenshaw's death was listed; however, on 25 June 1946 the London Gazette published a War Office Errata which substituted Burtenshaw with Burtinshaw.
Steve had by now contacted Nation Archives and informed them that their records may be wrong and received what I thought to be quite a terse reply saying that they wouldn't change their records...

Undetered Steve wrote back:
silvo to National Archives wrote: Thank you for the email ...however the name was subsequently corrected in the london gazette i have recently sent you a link .

The Wargrave commission take there names directly from the next of kin .

So if the original document is clearly incorrect do you intend to perpetuate the error, this man died in the service of his country the least we can do is spell his name right now and in any future online reference?

I hope you can look at this again

many thanks

Steve Silvester

National Archives wrote:Dear Mr Silvester,

Thank you for your reply.

We have changed the database to read ?Burtenshaw or Burtinshaw?; this should be viewable on line in the next week or so.

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Now, thanks to Steve's perseverance, the correct spelling is sure to be recorded in the National Archives.

We Will Remember Them.

Nick
silvo wrote:no need steve always a pleasure to repair these pics of the originals ..sort of a way of giving something back ..no matter how minor..I am sure Nick feels the same .

Absolutely!
It transpires that both silvo and I have a long, professional background in photography and are both happy to try and repair/restore old photos.

It's good to be able, like many others on the Site, to offer our skills for free.

Nick

ps But I never say no to a beer! )
Ha ha, looks like Steve (silvo) and I are in competition...

Nick
Steve,
This better?

Nick
Every time I look at this photo I think of more questions,

eg. The officer is wearing rank badges and a Sam Brown, but "Dudley Clark" isn't...

Nick
Kevin,
I think that letter is a fantastic part of not just your father's history, but The Commandos in general.
I think John M posted a topic some time ago about the importance of the 'Landladies' and this letter illustrates that point.
It's great that you had her address, contacted her and that she remembered your dad and wrote a lovely letter back...
Fantastic.
Thanks,

Nick
Hi Tim,
Welcome aboard the CVA Forum.
Obviously you have read the "They also served" Roll for No2 Cdo.
This list was compiled largely by the late Lt Bob Bishop. MC, No2 Cdo, his wife Janet and, most recently, by Geoff Murray, CVA National Secretary. [Last updated 25 Jan 09].
It is acknowledged that there may be omissions from the list but if you have any documentation or photo evidence that your Father was in No2 Cdo, I know that Geoff will be pleased to add his name to the list.
Are you in possession of your Father's Record of Service?
If not you may think about applying for it - it should show which units he served with, training, postings, promotions, casualties etc.

see link for info:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

Good luck,
Nick
Once again we make a good team - I've been doing the very same!

And found a few 'new' ones too.

keep up the good work.
nick

Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger