commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Kevin
Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
JB
Idris did indeed hand his knife in (The first time I ever met him, the knife and Commando scroll were together). He was unsure of the law, as to what happened to knife I know what I'd have done. I don't think you need a licence to keep any knife in your home, but if you carry It about on your person then matters change and you could spend a long time eating HM's porridge. If you buy a knife and want to transport It home, wrap It up well an put It in the boot of your car, try not to show "intent".

Knife Law
http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html

Kevin
Hi Greg, be very, very carefull what and where you buy (because by now they are in great demand and there are many many forgeries), you could be stung and lose a lot of money (as mentioned a first patten will cost around £1200 and above, there are many good copies for about £250). Try the reputable sites as mentioned or go to a militaria show nearby, if It sounds too good to be true then be weary?
I collect commemorative Commando daggers what you see is what you get.
I had been looking for a long time for an RWF, WW1 De Walden short sword ( missed two one in Belgiun and one in the USA for around £1500 and above) eventually purchased a good copy for £80 so I won't be stung I know It's a copy so be It.
Again be aware.
Kevin
This is the second I've found and bought in about five years of searching, may be I'll have twenty or so when I've reach my 90th birthday.

Kevin
Nick
Many thanks for the down-loads.
I think it's very sad when such memorials are stolen, they can't be sold nor exhibited in public as the would suerly be recognised as stolen items.
Most likely it's sat in someones drawer never to be see nor shared again.
As for Ghent, in the sunny weather of last week well worth the drive from Poperinge and the mayhem of the autoroute (one beer only) navigator; mouth and eyes shut for almost half an hour.

Cheers
Kevin
We were in Ghent castle earlier this week and saw this memorium on entry, when I made further enquiries at the ticket office I was told the name of the individual but did not note it down, so I don't remember the name, also the brass plaque commemorating this individual was unfortunately recently stolen. The photo quality is not that good as I was standing on tip toes and also supported by Belgian beer!

Kevin
Rest in peace.

Kevin
I'll visit the camp at Capel Curig when the weather improves a little (wind and motorbike) no good on that part of the A5, and see if they have any info. As mentioned before the three Commando bases were in Llanrwst.

I'll also look into the Bethesda issue (they must have been only too glad to have left there) a misserable place in fine weather, in rain, fog, mist and snow

Kevin
Records supplied by kind permission of Bill's son Jan.

Kevin
Danny, Nick wrongly I thought that they wore unit cap badge as my father in group photo of my father.
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/1+cdo+grp/Copy+of+Stage+10-numbered+copy.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Many Thanks
Kevin
Hi. Nick
I also agree with yout that the photo may have been taken before any of the Royal Marine battalions became 'Royal Marine Commandos' as the Sgt & WOs all have different cap badges?
Hi Dale, have you got his service number?
Kevin
I'm extremely proud that my late father served alongside such gallant men such as Tom during his time with no1 Commando. Many thanks to Andy Maines for posting Roy Shadbolt's photo of Officers- WO1s & Sgts No1 Commando, that linked Tom and dad.
Hi John just read your reply to Martyns post and out of interest Googled G1098 with the following result from the National Archives web site.

"Army Form G 1098. Pronounced 'G ten ninety-eight' this data tabulation form is also known as the War Equipment Table, otherwise by the initialism WET and sometimes also, erroneously as the War Establishment Table. It was a record of war equipment authorised for issue to a unit of the British Army and is the functional equivalent of the American Table of Organisation & Equipment. (A 'unit' being defined by the War Office as any formed body of men with an authorised War Establishment. War Establishments may be further traced elsewhere in TNA in their own separate Class.) Such was its ubiquity the nomenclature of this 'G' series form was utilised to name Station 1098 , ie, Station Ten Ninety-Eight the logistics base organisation of the SAS Brigade. Nomenclature and functions of British Army Forms are notified in Army Council Instructions and Army Orders both of which may be further traced elsewhere in TNA."

Kevin

I'm afraid that this is the price of freedom in the UK!!!!
I was in Paris a few years ago when a group decided to posture on the Arc de Triomphe, they were removed from the monument, leg and a wing style, sharpish, no problem.
And having returned from Belgium today after visiting the monuments to our and other's lost relatives, It's a bit sad on those who get some kind of kicks from this?

Kevin
Hi, Paul
The Dutch Commandos were based in Portmadoc and their HQ was where the Ffestiniog railway station is situated. There is a memorial there presented by Jan Timmer, the son of a Dutch Commando, who married a local girl, I believe that they used to train ship to shore assault. As mentioned in other threads, the Commandos trained in Snowdonia, (Watkins path) mentioned in previous threads also there were 3 buildings in Llanrwst that the Commandos acquired one of the buildings, no longer exists but was near to where the police station now stands. The second was accross the road to the Pen-Y-Bont hotel. The third building is on the main road (A470) between Betws-Y-)Coed and Llanrwst and is just about visible on the right hand side mid-way between these 2 villages (see my previous threads for photos. 10A Inter-allied commandos mostly Jewish, were based a little further south in Aberdyfi, and there is a memorial in the park. I agree that more information about the Commandos and their training in north Wales would be a good idea, but due to the nature of what they did and of the secrecy that had to be maintained, I think that further information regarding this area and the Commandos during this period would be extremely difficult, as some units packed up and left shortly before D-Day? (My late father was in No 1 Commando and he never, like so many, never, or were unwilling to mention any details of their service. I know that Idris of No 1 Commando has only recently opened up, thanks to Andy Mains.

Best regards

Kevin

Forum Index » Profile for Kevin » Messages posted by Kevin
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger