commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: NIC
Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Pete Keane wrote:Do you know which book it is from?

Pete,
no I'm sorry I don't - it's just an extract that I came across whilst doing some research.
However, the website address leads to the USA Command & General Staff College and from there you can go to Combined Arms Research Library (CARL)
http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/

Following your query I poked around on here and came up with this:

http://comarms.ipac.dynixasp.com/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=12I1B090A1425.172708&menu=search&aspect=subtab327&npp=25&ipp=20&spp=20&profile=carlcgsc&ri=&term=chindits&index=.GW&aspect=subtab327&term=&index=.SK&x=11&y=14#focus
Which gives lists of books etc and again you can explore further and come up with a whole host of lists , reports and extracts...
Hope it helps - have fun!
Nick
Andy,
Thanks.
I also know what you mean about correcting the errors on your father's cert - Fortunatelyor unfortunately (depending on how I look at it) I don't have that problem as all I'm doing is using yours as a template and putting in the correct info.

As you have the original, maybe you could make one correct one and one duplicate of the original (warts an' all).

Nick
http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/download/csipubs/historic/hist_c1_pt1.pdf
http://www.veterans-uk.com/pdfs/publications/comm_booklets/scheldt.pdf
debbsmithers wrote:Hi, hopefully someone out there will be able to answer this question for me!

does anyone know what he phrase 'X-List' means on service records? it is found several times on my Grandfathers service records. one example reads in context...

03/02/44 S.O.S 1 Cdo T.O.S Xlist (II) (b)

SOS means Struck off Strength (in this case No1 Cdo)
TOS means Taken on Strength

Nick
Dusty's son wrote: HI Howard

Yes,we have a match on the troop ship picture...

the person in the back row left hand side wearing the side arm is my Dad Vic " Dusty " Miller.

Thanks for your picture it is always satisfying to make a connection to our Dads through the CVA .

Cheers
Lindsay

That's fantastic - Dusty and Ted standing shoulder to shoulder. Surely they must have been in the same section in the same troop?

Nick
Son Of Ted Spinks wrote:.

I am wondering if my "Who is Bob" post was in fact Bob Bishop as for some reason his name seems to ring a bell and there is a likeness.

Howard,
I don't think your Bob is the late Bob Bishop.
In your photo of 'Bob he stood shoulder to shoulder with your father who, as a policeman in the Met, was probably quite tall - over 5'9" or thereabouts?

Bob Bishop, though a huge character with a big personality and a massive heart, was quite short.
I have a photo of Bob, Janet (his wife) and me in Fort William last year and, while it was being taken, I remarked that the pair of them made me feel tall - I'm only 5'7".

Great photos though - keep posting them.

Nick
Here's my latest effort - fonts reduced in size to please Andy ( :D )
the only thing I don't like about it is the Capt's signature at bottom right, Idid think about replacing it but, as my father left the HOC only a month after Andy's Dad it is quite possible that the same Capt would have signed my dad's original too, so I'll leave it for now.

I have saved a blank form if anyone else wants one.

This one is a little better - I've used a font called 'Underwood Champion' as the 1942 report was just a bit too 'worn'...
Thanks Steve,

Those fonts are a big improvement - far more authentic.

Cheers,
Nick
Thanks to Andy here is my 'Work in Progress' repo of my father's certificate.

I'm still looking for a less modern Font - one that looks like it was typed on a 1940's typewriter!

Stephen,
I will be adding six of those names to the No5 List of names (already got the others)
Nick
Stephen,
Nice one, I've seen a few of those names but will add any that I haven't already got to the No5 List.

Keep them coming

Nick
Kevin,

Great photos of a lovely house - so pleased that it is being restored.

I struggled to find any info to your first query (this thread) but happened upon the fact that the CMWTC moved to Llanrwst, so I was really surprised and pleased when you, almost immediately, replied with such detail...

I will endeavour to find my source again - it would be fantastic to have a plaque on the house.

Nick
Son Of Ted Spinks wrote:
Thanks for the added info but I am conviced it isn't him and find nothing in his war record to indicate an RN link or a PO rank.

That was exactly my point, I certainly don't think that the guy in the photo is your dad (I'm not a gambling man, but I'd even put money on it!).

Nick

Forum Index » Profile for NIC » Messages posted by NIC
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger