commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: MCLAUGHLIN232
Forum Index » Profile for MCLAUGHLIN232 » Messages posted by MCLAUGHLIN232
Hi Stephen my granddad was at Madagascar he disembarded 5th May 1942 and then embarked at diego suarez 20 Aug 1942 and then disembarked at Tamatave 18 Sept 1942 he was there until 18 Oct 1942 when he embarked bound for liverpool, so I would say there is a Very good chance that they knew each other, I would love to go to the National Arboretum however I have work this weekend, could you tell me where the gathering is?

regards

Justin
Hi Nick

thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay, yes i now have my grandads war records, i originally thought that he was in 42RM commando unit because my family concluded that he was in the navy due to him being awarded the george star and the george medal (apparently one is only awarded to navy personnel, although i have seen web sites that state differently), I can see my grandad on the 5 troop 5 cdo photo on the gallery he is sitting on a chair far right of the picture (there is a gent sitting on the ground infront of him), any help you can provide with deciphering his record would be very welcome, not being from a military back ground myself and only just looking to WWII history it is proving a challenge to read

Thank you and best regards

Justin
Hi All,

I wonder if anybody would be able to help me, I am currently working on my family tree and have found out that my grandad was in 5 troop of 5 commando (he is in the 5 troop 5 cdo photo in the gallery) and i was wondering if anybody had any information on this commando unit? or if possible about my grandad Peter Frederick Mclaughlin who joined 5 commandos on 12 Nov 1941 from the east yorkshire regiment.

thank you

Justin
Hi
i was just wondering if you have found out any details on your grandad, my grandad so i am lead to beleive was in 42 commando his name was Peter Frederick Mclaughlin from croydon surrey, and was around 31years old when he went out there and from what i can work out he would have been married for only a month or two (spelt Maclaughlin on his dog tag) we believe he served in burma also, and was a prisioner of war at some stage, any information you can give me of 42 commando will be very helpfull
Justin Mclaughlin

Forum Index » Profile for MCLAUGHLIN232 » Messages posted by MCLAUGHLIN232
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger