commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Croesy01
Forum Index » Profile for Croesy01 » Messages posted by Croesy01
Thank you for posting this info, which is particularly poignant for me - I am Alastair McDougall, named after my father's friend and colleague, who was among those he sketched (pic).
42 RM Commando
As I understand it, these days every batch of RM trainees at Lympstone are motivated by the challenge that one of them will be awarded the King's badge for best all-round achievement thru training. This means that a King's Badge is presented at every passing-out parade every year, and is then worn on the recipient's Uniform for the rest of his time as a marine. The whole number at any one time obviously then depends on how long each one remains in service.
Have noticed that one of the main organisers is a user of this site: Jochem Schmet.
he will have all the details
A new No.4 Commando exhibition has been created in Vlissingen, commemorating their liberation, Nov 1944.
At the Normandy 70th celebrations, we saw a pipe band on the green in Breville, very well dressed in full highland kit.
We asked them - "Where are you guys from", to be greeted back in Dutch!
Anyway - one thing led to another, it turned out some of them were connected to Vlissingen and were then getting things organised for their own 70th later that year.
The exhibition is now permanent, and during the commemoration weekend they ran "Battlefield Tours" following routes through the town which were used back then.
They have been extremely grateful for copies of any relevant 1944/5 photos.
It seems this might flourish, and they are all extremely welcoming of any contact from the Commando community, anytime.
(For Steph....) My info is that in 1945 No.4 had a padre, Capt. Rev. A.Drake, from Doncaster.
I know no more than that, eg how long had he been involved and so on.

I'm hoping that more info will flow into this as the date gets closer - is Stefan on the case?

There are generally a lot of ceremonies around the various memorials which are listed on the website shown in the previous post, indeed, those are organised so that you start off near No.4 landing area which today is called Colville-Montgomery, then progress along into Ouistreham itself, following the route they took on the way in.

Across Pegasus bridge and up into Hauger, there again there is a series of monuments around Amfreville, also listed on the excellent web links shown below, these are called 'Stiels', and No.6 is located at the site of No.4 Commando's HQ in the early days of June 44, indeed their dead were buried there at first and moved later into Ranville.

The locals are very welcoming, in the past obviously anyone wearing a green beret was picked out for special treatment. Those of us of later generations could just blend into the crowd, or could step forward and stand behind them - that way at least you meet others.

Again Stefan could say more about this, but another way is for there to be a particular place, which might sell beer (!!) where anyone who wants to meet others could go - carrying something easily recognisable. I have such respect for the Green beret that I would not dream of wearing one, but that did at least mean you could pick out people in the crowd who you could just go up and speak to - maybe there is a badge or some such??
Hi -

Planning to visit this June - any recommendations? nb no car
(Dad was with No.4, am taking his grandson to see the sights)

Also - any ideas re hiring bikes? Have found that to be a good way to cover the ground, but a nuisance carrying them on the ferry!

Thanks

Croesy
Hi -

Our family has quite a bit of Commando "stuff", I even found a 1942 Bergen rucksack in the attic the other day.

I KNOW that I should be scanning-in all of the photos, and one day I will, but in the meantime - where is the best place for the bits n'pieces?

a) The Army Museum - I gather it has a No.4 section, but I have inherited a bit of an attitude against 'regular' army who tended to look down on the flexible get-up-and-go of the Commando.

b) Ouistreham - No.4 Musee - Hummm, been there - seems to be focussed on convincing French school parties of the part played by their countrymen and not a lot of interest on other aspects.

c) Spean Bridge Hotel - have not been there, but have concerns that it is a commercial enterprise and so might be taken over (in the long term future) by acme hotels inc who just throw everything out, whatever the good intentions of the current owners.

d) Other - all ideas welcome.

Thanks in anticipation
Mission Accomplished!

Lands End achieved on schedule 893 miles coverd in 65 hours of cycle time spread over 8 days.

Forum Index » Profile for Croesy01 » Messages posted by Croesy01
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger