commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: ViA
Forum Index » Profile for ViA » Messages posted by ViA
Dave Jenkins wrote:Hi there,

I'm new to the site. I'm hoping that the original poster Paul Jeavons is still on the forum as I have details relating to Sgt George Jenkins.

Sgt Jenkins was my Fathers uncle. My Father is still alive and has various pictures citations etc etc to share with you. It is the same Sgt George Jenkins, Force 399 & Force 136.

We have also been in contact with his wife in Liverpool, my place of birth actually and in the same district of Liverpool - Toxteth [Liverpool 8]

I also knew a gentleman by the name of Reginald Henny (Now deceased - name ring a bell?) who new him too so lots of information to pass on.

So, hopefully Paul is still on here.

Cheers for now
Hi Sfsg
Check PM later tonight. You mentioned Whiskey in your post. Were you sent some by your Grandfathers CO. Sir Julian Amery sent a dozen bottles to my Father in Adelaide, Australia when my Grandad passed.
Nice gesture and I recall as a teenager it was Johnny Walker Black.
Let me know your Grandfathers name. My Grandmother still kicking stronger than me at 94 and recalls all names mentioned
Cheers
Hi John
Albeit your story is a sad one, I am so happy to hear about someone doing research on someone they never met in order to know them as best as possible.
I can tell you with my research that Force 399 played a great part in building the mostly great world we live in today. I truly believe most people living post 1945 are living in a sweet spot. Not perfect but count your blessings daily.
I havent been on this forum for over a decade because I found nearly everything I needed to know. Unfortunately it seems all my emails and notes have been deleted. I had a great conversation going with the French Minisiter of Finance, Thierry Le Breton. He had alot of info on early Commando, SOE and other! Continue your research considering Major David Smiley and Sir Julian Amery. Great leaders and characters. Both became my Grandfathers life long friends. I can suggest a few titles that may have noted your Grandfathers efforts. A must read is and will explain some your Grandfathers brave efforts and experiences, No Colours or Crest by Peter Kemp.
Chat soon
Cheers
Paul
Gday Dave.
PM sent. Talk soon
Cheers
Paul

PS NOTE TO MODERATORS
Thanks to this forum I have connected with a family member who can help with research on my Grandfather, Thank you folk.
Thanks for the great info.
I always assumed they worked in smaller groups.
cheers
ViA
Hi
Thats great. My image ended with the word prone.
Have i miss printed it or is part of poem missing.
what was your fathers name?
My grandfather Sgt George Jenkins fought in Burma, Albania, North Africa to name a few.
David Smiley and Julian Amery and maclean were in charge.
There is a chance that they would have met in Burma. from what i can gather it was a fairly small but successful commando force.
Cheers

Macdonald wrote:
Hi there,

Looking at the descriptions to each part, the grip has possibly been cast from aluminium.
The serrations on the blade near the hilt are interesting though.

Do you have the original knife, or have you seen this somewhere?

Either way, it could make an interesting reproduction project. If you ever want an accurate copy made, just let me know.

All the best,

Macdonald

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I agree the grip was cast aluminium. Last time I held it I only recall the efficiency of it and no noticeable weight issue.
In regards to the serrations, my Grandfather showed me the process of use. Hope the following isnt disturbing. Ceist la guerre.
From behind enemy break the jaw with grip and then slide blade down the throat to minimise vocal sounds and disable life quickly.
My Uncle was the last to see it and my Grandmother is convinced that it is behind her wardrobe. I have asked for photos to help identify it. As you can imagine and I understand, I am showing an interest in what was a time of horror for them. Asking my grandmother questions is asking her to recall what she would prefer to forget.
Hoping to get the photos eventually and have a replica made.
the knife should rightfully be left to my uncle when my Grandmother passes on.
Could you give an estimate of cost to build a replica.
Cheers and regards
Paul Jeavons
PS I have sent info request to recently deceased Colonel David Smiley's surviving sons. As they both were in the same force in Albania, they may have some info.
Gday
Does anyone have copies of these books for sale.
sons of eagles Julian Amery
no colour no crest Peter kemp
Irregular regular Smiley
Cheers
Paul
[email protected]
Dear Sir
Your poem speaks loud and clear.
I understand yet my children and their friends are busy playing Xbox.
I do believe that history repeats.
This forum could help to advise on how to to deal with our future.(world War)
Your past is never forgotten
Tomorrow is not ours to know, what will be will be.(Doris Day)
Although experience cannot be beaten.
Cheers from
1 less stupid human who doesnt want to learn all the mistakes again.
Baby dont touch that it is hot!
OK Dada
Baby says
OWE its HOT

Never to celebrate
Never to idolise
Yet
Always recall and remember
The person and their time
God Bless George Ford
War
Never to celebrate
Never to idolise
Yet Always recall and remember

previous post shows drawing of a knife that I have held.
no books have shown anything close
Possibly made for Albanian or North African SOE campaign
Anyone have info
drawing attached again
War
Never to celebrate
Never to idolise
Yet Always recall and remember
PICS ATTACHED
These boys were good
Hello,

I'm very sad to announce you that Colonel David Smiley has died on Thursday 8 January aged 92.
You can read his obituaries on the Daily Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/4210129/Colonel-David-Smiley.html

Best regards.

Forum Index » Profile for ViA » Messages posted by ViA
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger