commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: GrahamCooper
Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper
Hi

Can any one help ,what was the Commando Group HQ, what was its function, and there was it located.

Many thanks

Graham
Hi

Is there any connection between the named officers and the commando's,on my small growing list of names units etc I cannot trace any of them.

Graham
Hi
A few weeks ago I asked a question about Officer Trg,and where did commando's go to get commissioned.

No response, perhaps it wasn't worded right.

I am referring to commando's being commissioned from the ranks.
1) Could individuals apply for a commission,or
2) Were the individuals selected by their officers
3) Were there other "Commando" criteria for Officer selection
4) If selected did they go to regular Officer Trg Units,or did the commando's train" in house".
5) If selected for commissioning did the parent regiment have a say.

Thanks
Graham
Nothing seems straight forward.

Referring back to the photo of LSGT Sinclair,he's wearing the D troop patch,but also under the 3Cdo shoulder title is a HQ badge.

Does this mean he was in D troop,attached to HQ troop of 3 Cdo, or perhaps the other way around.

To add a further observation,in Peter Taylor's book Special Forces Insignia 1939-45,in the section regarding 3 Cdo he writes"At the

time the new shoulder title,white on black appears with troop number underneath.HQ WORE JUST 3 Cdo TITLES".Our photo shows

a HQ badge.

Can any one date the photo.

That's it folks

Graham
Thanks Nic,

Thank you for your detailed answer to my query,but it has generated 2 further questions

1)What is the source of your detailed answer.

2)If and when 3 Cdo started wearing the combined op patches,did they retain their troop patch as well.

Now I'll leave you in peace (on this subject)

Many thanks
Graham
Sorry folks but if I don't ask,I'll never sleep.

In the picture gallery - Commando in WW2 - 3 Commando - 3Cdo in remembrance is a picture of LSGT AI Sinclair.

The photo shows no combined ops patch,can anyone identify the flash he is wearing, - it looks like skull or head inside a large D

I also note under the 3 commando flash, a small flash with I think HQ.

Is or was this normal commando dress.

Graham

Here we go again.

I've come across two references of commando's and OCTU today.

Where did commando's go to get commissioned.

Thanks

Graham

It is my intention to try and get further names, - I've a few more books to trawl through.

When I first made the request about the police intakes,I never realized how frustrating it is to get information on the commando/s.

I have contacted several police authorities to see if they could help - but alas no names, same with various regimental museums

and associations again helpful but no names.

Over 400 men and no one really knows who they are / were , what a shame.

Once I have finished the last few books,I'll put the names up for all,in the next week or two.

Graham

Thanks to all who have helped with names and details of those who joined the Commando's from the various police forces.

Have just finished reading The Raiders by Robin Neillands, I believe have found a further 3 names :

1) Ron Roberts 1Cdo from London police.
2) John Tanner , CPL ,9 Cdo from City of London police.
3) S. Burden, Fusilier, 1Cdo, police force unknown.

To date with your help I have 40 names,nearly 10% of the 400 or so of the total,so there are more than a few lurking between the pages of history.

Thanks again,
Graham
Hi
Thanks Eileen - I think you have solved the query.The date of death ties in with Stan's book.
Both the CWGC and the CVA has his rank as SGT, so I assume he was acting TSM and not substantive.
The two spellings of the name are pronounced the same.
Thanks again
Graham
Happy New Year to ALL

In Stan Scott's book FIGHTING WITH THE COMMANDOS,he makes reference to a TSM COKER.
On page 72 it is quoted that TSM Coker lost half his head,was he killed or seriously wounded.The reason I ask is I can find no reference to this TSM either in this forum or in the picture gallery,and no trace within CWGC.
Does anyone have knowledge of this man.
Many thanks
Graham
Seasonal greetings to All

On the 4 Jan 1946 at the funeral of Lord Keyes, 6 Army Commandos were present,these being:
Maj LS CALLF MC
CSM WS PASCOE
CSM W GREENAWAY
CPL JD CLERY
CPL RB CLARKE
LBDR SAMWAYS
LCPL AWK PHILLOTT
Also present; Brigadier JF DURNFORD SLATER and Capt (THE REV) BIRKBECK

Can any help ID the following,ie which cdo did they serve,parent regiments etc
1) CSM WS PASCOE
2) CSM W GREENAWAY - I have a reference to a TSM GREENWAY 6 CDO
3) CPL JD CLERY
4) CPL RB CLARKE
5) LBDR SAMWAY
6) LCPL AWK PHILLOTT

Many thanks again
Graham
Answering part of my own question.

War Diaries www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/war_3cdo.htm

23 July 1944 at Chateau d'Amfreville

0800 CO and Adj go to 9 beach Battalion to get reinforcements.

1230 Capt Harper-Gow calls to arrange recruiting details with CO.

1810 CO and Adj return from Beach Battalion,they have 29 reinforcements.

24 July 1944

1410 Reinforcements arrive.

So part of the question answered, but what was a Beach Battalion, and is it possible to confirm if 2 Bn Hertfordshire Regt and

9 Beach Battalion are one in the same organisation.

Regards
Graham
Answering part of my own question.

War diaries in www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/war_3cdo.htm refers

23 July 1944

0800 CO and Adj go to 9 Beach Battalion to get reinforcements.
1230 Capt Harper-Gow call to arrange recruiting details with CO.
1810 CO and Adj return from Beach Battalion,they have 29 reinforcements.

24 July 1944

1410 Reinforcements arrive.

So part of the question answered, but what was a Beach Battalion

Regards

Graham
Hi

I am reading Storm from the Sea by Peter Young.

On page 180 he explains that on the 23 July 44 reinforcements are drawn from volunteers from the 2Bn Hertfordshire Regt.

1) Does anyone know how many volunteers were involved.

2) Peter Young states that the volunteers only suffered one fatality while fighting thro! France,Holland,and Germany.Has this man
been identified.

3) Were the volunteers absorbed into the commando's as commandos ie wore the green beret,or were they not.

Many thanks
Graham

Forum Index » Profile for GrahamCooper » Messages posted by GrahamCooper
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger