commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Andy Maines
Forum Index » Profile for Andy Maines » Messages posted by Andy Maines
Hi JD

The long photo you referred to very well may have been the panorama photo of No1 taken in Winchester just before they went overseas to Burma, I have actually got an original version of this photo and it is approx 36" long. As you will see if you follow the link there is also a numbered version to enable you to pin point any individuals for ID purposes. (see link)

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/1/panorama/

Cheers Andy
Hi Pete

Thanks for that, sorry I tried to reply last night on my Iphone but the message would't send for some reason.

Cheers Andy
Hi Pete

JB has requested that this document be uploaded on to the relevant section of the gallery, any chance you could do this for him.

Cheers Andy
Hi everyone

I was asked by J B Brekelmans to upload this letter from his collection, as the letter is in French I have attached a copy of JB's email to me as it contains a broad translation of the contents of the letter

"I just found below letter which may be interesting to put on CVA.

Reference letter from commander in chief of 4 Belgian troop Major Danloy for L/cpl Van Den Daele who served with 4th troop from 27/7/1942 till 14/8/1945. He served in Italy Yougoslavia and Walcheren. He was wounded in Walcheren It is certified he was always a good loyal soldier."

Cheers Andy
Hi Jason

I have got photos of the graves of the two commandos who were killed on the Chopper raid that were taken when Idris Jones visited the cemetery in the 90s.
I will scan these photos next week and upload them on to this site, one of the commandos, Elwyn Edwards was best friends with Idris hence his visit.

Cheers Andy
Hi Pete

Have just signed the petition.

Cheers Andy
Thanks Kevin
Hi Kevin

Thanks for that, I will have to go and visit where Idris is buried myself, could you give me the name of the cemetery please.

Cheers Andy

Ps I have got some other photos that I will scan that were taken when Idris whent back to France to visit the grave of his best friend Elwyn Edwards. The trip was filmed by a Welsh TV channel, the photos also show the annual commemoration ceremony that the locals hold at the graves of the two men who were killed on Operation Chopper.
Hi Pete

Thanks for putting these onto the the gallery, regarding the cap badges I know that Sgt Gwyn Jones (front row) was Royal Welch Fusiliers and the chap juts behind him to the right of the photo has what appears to be the same cap badge so I'm guessing that he is also RWF. Sorry can't help with the other badge identifications.

Cheers Andy
Here are the remaining photos.
Hi Pete here are some more photos for the No1 gallery.

I recently met up with Idris Jones' daughter (Gwenan) who has very kindly given me the original prints of Idris's No1 Cmd photos, some of these are already in the gallery. However the ones that I am just about to upload now (fingers crossed as I haven't done this for a while) have not been seen before.

Although the first photo is not dated I am pretty sure is was taken after their return from N.Africa and before their posting to Burma as they are all wearing the campaign ribbons for this theater of ops, also their uniforms are the normal khaki serge rather than the lighter warmer weather uniforms worn in Burma.

The third photograph is an image of Elwyn Edwards who was Idris's best friend, they were both in 5 Troop, Elwyn was KIA on the 28th Sep 1941 while taking part in a small scale raid code named Operation Chopper and is buried in France. Another section of 5 Troop took part in a simultaneous raid the same night, which Idris and my father took part in code named Operation Deepcut.
Hi Gordon

Fantastic photo, I have now got it as a screen saver on my laptop.

Cheers Andy
Hi

Thanks for the update and glad to hear that Ted is still in good health.

All the very best, Andy
Hi

The second photo actually shows an even better view of the classic No1 curved shoulder title above the elliptical Salamander in flames badge, see attached link which will take you to our gallery where there is an image of an original set of No1 insignia.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Badges+and+Memorabilia/1+Cdo/Z90-Insignia+belonging+to+Maurice+Brown-American+volunteer+with+No1+Commando+during+Operation+Torch_.jpg.html

Cheers Andy
Hi

I don't know if you are aware of this document in our gallery that was produced by Henry Brown, I have had a look through it however I can't see any mention of Operation Crupper.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/documents/raids/

Cheers Andy

Forum Index » Profile for Andy Maines » Messages posted by Andy Maines
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger