commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: stealthy
Forum Index » Profile for stealthy » Messages posted by stealthy
The text for the photograph shown is false, as no U.S.folboats were available.
The actual folboat here is a Hoehn non-military sports model
being tested here by Major Moneypenny and Col. Hoare for 'Jaywick' use.
The folboats for the Jaywick plan used different makes.
There was a severe shortage of them in Australia at the start of the Pacific War,
A search by Military Command revealed only those made by Walter Hoehn in Alphington, Melbourne.
His remaining 2, a single and a double seater demonstration models being left over from a batch for sports use.
After testing on the local river, they were seconded by Colonel Mott of ISD and sent to the secret 'Camp X'
Commando training camp on the North shore of Sydney Harbour.
Actual manufacture of folboats then re-started with the 'Folboat- Kayak Type', then the Mk.III,
on orders issued by the Department of Munitions, the first of these were sent to the Cairns training centre.
There are numerous memos and letters by Military Command documented in the National Archives of Australia,
NAA MP742/1-305/9/99 which confirm the above information.
Although previously designated 'Secret', they are now available to be viewed.
craigab wrote:Hi everyone,

First post here at CVF. I find military kayaks fascinating and I will most certainly be picking up a copy of Quentin's book about British Military Canoes along with a new book by John Hoehn called "Commando Kayak" which deals with the development and use of the Australian designed and manufactured Mk III folboat.

I just stumbled across this thread and noticed all the angst about different types of folding kayaks used by Australian SF in WWII.

Here's the skinny on the types used by Z Special Unit / Services Reconnaissance Department / Special Operations Australia during operations such as Jaywick (successful raid on Singapore Harbour in 1944) and Rimau (unsuccessful raid on Singapore Harbour in 1943) which used Australian built MKIII folboats bult by Hohn (see National Australian Archives, bibliography reference in book: Commando Kayak. In addition to the operational craft, there were different folding kayaks used during training as well. Other craft such as the various submersibles (MSC, Welman, Welfreighter) are a different story, so I won't cover them here. However, if you're interested in these weird and wonderful machines, check out www.welfreighter.info.

The kayaks:

Folbot -

This was a civvy kayak used by Z Special mainly for training. Although called a Folbot, it appears that a variety of civilian models from Tyne to Klepper were used with Folbot being a generic term. Very early Australian Hohn double and single seaters were used during training for the Jaywick raid at X Training camp on the Hawkesbury River in NSW, but they were found to be very fragile. Both the skin and the frame were susceptible to damage due to the rocky shoreline of the training area. Despite this, they were used to great effect as Davidson and co developed Z's folboat tactics. To verify, see bibliography of National Archives Australia in book: Commando Kayak

Here's what the "literature" has to say about the Folbot:

"This may be considered a well-made craft but the materials used are sometimes faulty and every part should be minutely inspected and tested before a craft is passed for operation."

Photo here is an early Australian Hohn folboat, army designation 'Kayak Type'. Photo verified by Lt. Col. Hoare.

This is one of my dad?s early folboats supplied to Z Unit 1942. Photo taken at Fraser Island training camp showing Lt. Col. Hoare, Australian Defence Deputy Chief at rear & Maj. Moneypenny, chief instructor, FCS. who was demonstrating kneeling position to relieve stress on legs for long hauls. I met Hoare at dad?s folboat factory in 1947. See book Commando Kayak.

Here's what the "literature" has to say about American Kayaks:

"This is a well thought-out and sturdy craft of extremely good lines and paddles exceptionally well. She is a good weight carrier with overhangs and flare at bow and stern which should make her a good performer in surf in her class. A better sea boat than the Folbot, she is not so heavy as the Mark I**."

British Mk I** canoe -

These were purposely designed as a military craft. They had a sturdier wooden frame than the Folbot or the American Kayak, and had a laminated skin made of layers of rubber and canvas with a khaki proofed linen deck and spray skirt. One important feature of the Mk I** was the inflatable sponsons which fitted into 10 foot long pockets fitted the outer hull above the waterline. These, along with the triangular inflatable flotation bags inside the bow and stern made the Mk I** almost unsinkable.

In British service, the Mk I** was usually paddled with dual paddles like a modern day kayak. Z Special Unit had rejected the use of these paddles as they were found to be fragile in the tropics and the paddling technique was considered to be less than stealthy - they were noisy (mainly from water dripping) and the phosphorescence at night was seen to be a compromise hazard. Z used these craft with Australian single paddles and found the going difficult because the paddle strokes (a-la Canadian canoe) were interfered with by the inflatable sponsons. Rather than just remove the sponsons or leave them deflated, the Z head shed decided it would be better if they had a whole new craft built to specifications... (cont.)

craigab wrote:Hi everyone,

First post here at CVF. I find military kayaks fascinating and I will most certainly be picking up a copy of Quentin's book about British Military Canoes along with a new book by John Hoehn called "Commando Kayak" which deals with the development and use of the Australian designed and manufactured Mk III folboat.

I just stumbled across this thread and noticed all the angst about different types of folding kayaks used by Australian SF in WWII.

Here's the skinny on the types used by Z Special Unit / Services Reconnaissance Department / Special Operations Australia during operations such as Jaywick (successful raid on Singapore Harbour in 1944) and Rimau (unsuccessful raid on Singapore Harbour in 1943). In addition to the operational craft, there were different folding kayaks used during training as well. Other craft such as the various submersibles (MSC, Welman, Welfreighter) are a different story, so I won't cover them here. However, if you're interested in these weird and wonderful machines, check out www.welfreighter.info.

The kayaks:

Folboat -

Walter Hoehn made the non-military double and single seaters which were used during training for the Jaywick raid at X Training camp on the Hawkesbury River in NSW, but they were found to be very fragile. Both the skin and the frame were susceptible to damage due to the rocky shoreline of the training area. Despite this, they were used to great effect as Davidson and co developed Z's folboat tactics. This lead to Hoehn receiving a military order for an improved version which ultiately led to his MKIII design.

Here's what the "literature" has to say about Non-Australian Folboats:

"These may be considered a well-made craft but the materials used are sometimes faulty and every part should be minutely inspected and tested before a craft is passed for operation."

Australian kayak built by Hohn (see picture; this is NOT an American kayak !):
These were used in training at Fraser Island and Careening Bay. Used in trials at Cairns and New Guinea, but did not see operational service. Only later versions developed by Hoehn were used by Australian commandos in covert ops. Reference National Australian Archives.

Here's what the "literature" has to say about the American Kayak:

"This is a well thought-out and sturdy craft of extremely good lines and paddles exceptionally well. She is a good weight carrier with overhangs and flare at bow and stern which should make her a good performer in surf in her class. A better sea boat than the Folbot, she is not so heavy as the Mark I**."

British Mk I** canoe -

These were purposely designed as a military craft. They had a sturdier wooden frame than the Folbot or the American Kayak, and had a laminated skin made of layers of rubber and canvas with a khaki proofed linen deck and spray skirt. One important feature of the Mk I** was the inflatable sponsons which fitted into 10 foot long pockets fitted the outer hull above the waterline. These, along with the triangular inflatable flotation bags inside the bow and stern made the Mk I** almost unsinkable.

In British service, the Mk I** was usually paddled with dual paddles like a modern day kayak. Z Special Unit had rejected the use of these paddles as they were found to be fragile in the tropics and the paddling technique was considered to be less than stealthy - they were noisy (mainly from water dripping) and the phosphorescence at night was seen to be a compromise hazard. Z used these craft with Australian single paddles and found the going difficult because the paddle strokes (a-la Canadian canoe) were interfered with by the inflatable sponsons. Rather than just remove the sponsons or leave them deflated, the Z head shed decided it would be better if they had a whole new craft built to specifications... (cont.)

Hi,
My name is John Hoehn, son of the inventor of the Australian folboat (pat 117779) Walter Hohn (Hoehn in English) who introduced them to Oz in 1928. During the Pacific war, the Oz army ordered a total of 1024 (National Archives documented and reproduced in my book Commando Kayak), which deals with their development and use during WWII.

Some apsects of Craigab's posting are incorrect. It is well documented that the 4 folboats Davidson complained about were BRITISH, not Oz built. They were specially flown out from England for Op Jaywick. Craigab also says "...its probable he (Davidson) received a bad batch of...Hedley's built folboats". This is INCORRECT. May I suggest he research the topic thoroughly before posting and also refer to National Archives of Australia documentation for proof.

The Australian MKIII folboat, based on my father's design and patent, was so well regarded by Australian commandos and top brass that they enjoyed the longest run of any type during and after the war. For more info go to hirschbooks.net or ozatwar.com/hoehn, or just type into your search engine; 'commando kayak john hoehn'.

I should have added the info of how to source the book.
Title: Commando Kayak
Author John Hoehn
Publisher: www.hirschbooks.net
ISBN: 978-3-033-01717-7
Format: A4 (for clarity of the folboat technical drawings & documents)
87'500 words plus 77 illustrations & images
Definitely a good read and reference with comprehensive index.
Hello Nic
I see you are looking for more titles.
You might like to add the newly published book: "Commando Kayak"
It's about the Australian commando's use of folboats from before the Pacific War through to the Vietnam War. Little was revealed about the Australian built MKIII until now. It became the best regarded model by commandos and top brass with the longest run of any wartime folboat.
Some 1024 were produced for the Australian military.
This is backed up by stacks of docs reproduced in the book and an equal number of action photos. The MKIII was used in some 33 'Z' Unit raids around the Pacific, such as Rimau, Copper (Guns of Muschu), Nadzab, Politician and Python. It also covers the deveopment and testing with narrative by commando officers gleaned from secret wartime docs, including its use in surf and deployment from submarines. The book, a page turner, is now recognised in Australia as a definitve documentary work.
Tried to open, but certain military items, even veteran / antiques military stuff is blocked by eBay UK to overseas areas !!

Nat security??- Who is going to paddle an old folboat from overseas to 'invade' the UK??

Without being able to open & view, I assume this one is the rigid British metal canoe, possibly WWII, that is being advertised for sale in UK.

Sorry, I only have info on pre-war and wartime folboats- i,e, like the ones that FOLD up & pack in bags about size of golf kit ravel bag, not rigid ones - like the Australian built MKIII one attached from WWII Pacific War.
More info on www.hirschbooks.net
Hi Geoff and William

The type of folboat that William has described on this posting may very well be a commando ops one that served in the Pacific Campaign.

The photo posted with all of that ancilliary equipment is the Australian built type MKIII, 1943 or 1944. It also shows (in front of water can) the 'Walkie Talkie' radio SCR-536 with generator handle. The code name for this outfit as illustrated with small 'silent' outboard was MOTAX-1.

My father held the folboat patents and a total of 1024 were built for the Australian army. Many were used for clandestine ops in the Pacific, including Operation RIMAU, COPPER & New Guinea NADZAB area.

I have just completed a comprehensive book: 'Commando Kayak' on Australian built folboats. It includes full A4 prints of the technical drawings, many images of the craft in action and many formerly 'secret' documents. It is already being called a 'Definitive Work'

A small quantity of the book has been printed. More info on website:
www.hirschbooks.net (one word, & .net not .com).

The earliest known MKIII has recently been found under a house in a Melbourne suburb and is now regarded as 'very significant' by the Australian War Museum, who are now restoring it.

I will post some images as soon as I get some more free time.

Forum Index » Profile for stealthy » Messages posted by stealthy
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger