commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: dale wright
Forum Index » Profile for dale wright » Messages posted by dale wright
Hi Guys
My mother has found another photograph of my grandfather. He is training and is fourth from the right - as we look at it.
Dale.
My Grandfathers service number was CH/X 104698. He wrote many letters both from England and in France. In England, many of them were addressed, 'HQ 1st Special Service' in Petworth Sussex. From my research, I am pretty sure that the only RM Commando unit attached to this was 45.

Also you have photograph on the 45 commando page of commandos looking at a dagger of some sort. The commando to the far right, as we look at it, looks like my grandfather. My uncle( his son) also told me that he found an SS dagger in his loft as a boy. When he told his dad( my grandfather), he never saw it again.
dale.
My Grandfathers service number was CH/X 104698. He wrote many letters both from England and in France. In England, many of them were addressed, 'HQ 1st Special Service' in Petworth Sussex. From my research, I am pretty sure that the only RM Commando unit attached to this was 45.

Also you have photograph on the 45 commando page of commandos looking at a dagger of some sort. The commando to the far right, as we look at it, looks like my grandfather. My uncle( his son) also told me that he found an SS dagger in his loft as a boy. When he told his dad( my grandfather), he never saw it again.
dale.
Hello
I am still pursuing my research at the moment. Feel free to take the picture down. The original has been scanned into my computer and is clear - not sure what has happened when i uploaded it onto the site.
dale.
Picture of my grandad - far left, top row
A picture of 45 command - i think. My grandad is top left, back row
I am researching my grandfathers role in the RM commandos. He was 36/37 when he joined and talked of pegasus bridge, Caen and walking through marsh-like land when he landed in Normandy. He also wrote of landing in Belguim in 1945, enroute to Berlin.
His service number starts with CH\X. If anyboby can help i would appreciate it. I am in the process of submitting his service number to see if he was part of 45.
Any
Do I post the photo here or can i post it in the gallery?
Thank you for your welcome- Andy.
My brother and I toured the Normandy landing sites 7 weeks ago and also visited Pegasus Bridge and the Bayeaux Cemetery. Since then I have worked out that he was in 45 - i think! I do have a service number for him and have read letters he wrote from France and Eastborne/Seaford. I do have a photograph but i am not sure if it is of his marines service or when he joined the marine commandos. I will post it up soon.
I have been researching my grandfathers role in the commandos. I believe he was attached to 45 Commando. His name is Sidney Edwards and he was a corporal. He was 36/37 when he joined the commandos. If anyone served with him, i would love to hear from them. Dale.

Forum Index » Profile for dale wright » Messages posted by dale wright
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger