commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Roy Evans
Forum Index » Profile for Roy Evans » Messages posted by Roy Evans
Hi,

Amazing stuff. Actually Harry was a middle weight (10stone to 10stone 8 oz division).

In Italy during the war they used to put on exhibition matches to entertain the troops. Years ago I saw a poster with Harry verses (i think) someone from another command. Top of the bill was the former World Heavyweight Champion Joe Louis - "The Brown Bomber". I wonder if any of the guys remember seeing those matches.

Another famous boxing story was up in Aye in the early years.

The local Army Division challenged Number 2 to a boxing tournament.
Lt Col Charles Newman put up a team, and when the evening commenced and the local Garrison Commander and his entourage arrived, all the regular solders stood up. When Col. Newman arrived, the commando on mass stood and sang "Clap hands here comes Charlie". Col Newman had a great grin on his face, which I imagine was even bigger at the end of the evening. The score Commando 10 - Army 0.

Happy days, Roy.

Cheers, Roy.
Hi there,

To add to what Stephen said, I can remember how ex national Servicemen were paranoid about being recalled to the colours during the late 1950's and early 1960's, especially as the cold war did look as if become 'hot' at any time.

I imagine, like Stephen's comments, there must have been a lot of breathing in to get uniforms to fit.

Also I had a governor at one time who had been the ex Chief Engineer from HMS Dreadnought (HM Sub) and he always went away each year for his 'annual camp' he called that his Z holiday.

Nice to make contact, Cheers, Roy.
Hi again,

I forgot to mention Harry was in 4 troop number 2.

Cheers, Roy.
Hi Pete,

Yet another link with wartime number 2.

My uncle was Harry Dennis Lumm (ex Beds & Herts) joined in Summer/Autumn 1941 and went through to Italy 1945 via Gib, Sicily, Salerno Vis etc.etc.

he died a few years ago but the name Eric Buckmaster is one I remember him talking about.

If Eric is still with us, remember Harry Lumm (from the boxing team) to him.

Cheers, Roy Evans.
Bob, you are a star!

I've read your piece on Graham Black. I actually went to Colditz last year for a visit. Its an amazingly beautiful spot in a lovely part of Germany, but not I guess if you know your for the 'chop'.

Take care - lousy weather here today, so about to go out to workshop to make a cider press. (we have lots of apples this year) Cheers, Roy.
Hi there Janet,

Sorry not to have replied earlier. Kate and I have been away in our caravan down to Dorset on the South coast.

I wouldn't say its been too wet, but on a couple of occasions we had a moat around the caravan !!

We have had the wettest Summer for years, flooding again in parts of the UK, the same as last year, but fortunately none near us.

I would be fascinated to know who the guys are in the photograph, I have sent off for Harry Lumm's service record, so we shall see what it says. When I get it, I'll send a copy over to Bob to read. I am sure it will jog the odd memory or two.

Anyway, back to work tomorrow, end of Summer hols. Perversely, after all the rain, its been a lovely day today and the forecast is good for the rest of the week. Are well, such is life. Bye for now Roy.
Hi everyone, I am finally going to sit down and write a pamphlet on the history of 4 troop, and what they got up to during their time together.

If anyone has info (and I am sure Bob and Janet have!!) especially on how they were selected and posted to that troop, I would be very interested.

The project will take time, but eventually will be posted under the 'History' section of this web site.

Photos would also be a help. If you wish to contact me direct, let me know via this site, send an e-mail address, and i'll do the rest.

Cheers for now. Roy Evans
Hi there,

This is a photograph of my uncle Harry Lumm (in the centre). Who are the other two?

Any info or anecdotes on Harry would be appreciated.

Cheers, Roy
Thanks Nic,

I'll have a go later.

Roy.
Hallo Bob,

I've just reread my original posting from yesterday. Harry was wounded in North Italy, not North Africa as I said. We believe he was in the reserve group for the Norway raid, and maybe for Saint Nazaire. That would seem strange, but would that have been likely.

We had always thought he was one of the lucky ones to get back from France. Cheers Roy. (still working on trying to organise the photographs !!)
Hallo Bob,

How lovely to hear from you, with all your information. I am trying to work out how to import photographs, as there are one or two of Harry during the War.

I guess its a case of watch this space.

Take care and thanks once again, Roy.
Hi Nick,

Thanks for responding so quickly. Its early days yet, but I would like to find out as much as I can about Harry.

In April I am going to Dieppe and Saint Nazaire. I have been before but am taking a pal whose uncle was one of the official war artists for the parachute regiment in WW2.

Some of his paintings are hanging in the museum at Pegasus Bridge. I am not sure yet of his name, but if he joined in the early days, I guess he could have ex No2 and trained at Bolsover Castle - not sure.

Anyway thanks for making contact. Roy.
Hi there,

I am trying to piece together the wartime history of an uncle of mine Harry Dennis Lumm.

He was in the Beds and Herts regiment and joined No 2 Commando early on.

He would not talk much about the events of 39-45, al;ways being very modest about his time.

We believe he was at Saint Nazaire, North Africa, Sicily, Salerno, Vis, and finally was wounded in North Africa.

He went on to be a PTI and when he came out worked at Rank Films as a stunt man, then as an engineer back hame at Watford.

He ended up as Head Green Keeper at Hertsbourne Golf Club, in Bushey Heath.

He had a piece of shrapnel removed in about 1985, a legacy of the war.

He died of a heart attack in 1987, aged 64.

If anyone has any memories of Harry, or records of him, I would love to hear from you.

Forum Index » Profile for Roy Evans » Messages posted by Roy Evans
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger