commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Jeff Hewitt
Forum Index » Profile for Jeff Hewitt » Messages posted by Jeff Hewitt
The funeral of WW2 Veteran 46 Royal Marine Commando Stephen Barnwell will take place on Tuesday 28th January 2020 at 14.00 in the Small Family Chapel at The Downs Crematorium, Bear Road, Brighton BN2 3PL.
The Chapel has a seating capacity of 25.
Steve has no known surviving family so attendance will just be Friends.
It was Steve's wish that there be no pomp or ceremony and that it would be a non religious service.
Steve told his long term Carer Peter Rodgers that he'd be happy if he "rolled him in a carpet and pushed him in a ditch"!
However a cremation it will be but without any music or last post Bugler.
Peter will read a Eulogy and myself a Tribute in honour of his war service with 46 RM Commando.
I have notified the Brighton, Hove and District RMA/RMC in the hope that a few local Green Beret men will attend however if there is anyone from the CVA who wishes to attend you are most welcome although space within the Chapel will be limited.
It is with great sorrow that I have to inform you that Stephen sadly passed away during the Xmas period. He was 97 years of age. I will post funeral details as soon as I hear from his carer.
Many Thanks Peter
Peter,
would this be the same photo that exists of him in the No 10 Gallery Roll of Honour?
Many thanks Peter. We'll try and obtain a copy.
Keith Taylor and I are currently deep into co-writing a second book following 46 RM Commando onwards from Rots in Normandy through France, Belgium, Holland and Germany ending on the Baltic Coast in June 1945.

During the Units night time crossing of the river Rhine on the 23rd March 1945 ten men who were killed in action.
Two of these were men attached to 46 and were members of 3 Jewish Troop of No 10 (Allied) Commando.
Both were killed when the amphibious Buffalo vehicle they were crossing in was tragically hit by a shell from the allied bombardment.
The body of one of these men was recovered and is now buried at Reichswald Forest War Cemetery but the other was never found.
Keith and I really would like to make a page dedication to these two men in our book and would like to see if there exists any photographs of them, maybe in a group Troop photo or any documented information about them and their prewar life.
Their names are No 6436356 Sgt Ernest Villiers (alias for Egon Vogel) and No 6305471 L/Cpl Herbert Seymour (alias for Herbert Sachs).
It is Seymour who has no known grave.
If there are any members who could share with us any information they may have it would be wonderful.
If there is anyone on this forum that has not already made contact with me or Keith Taylor regarding men of 46 RM Commando please do so.
We are now co-writing a second book (following the success of our first book The Waist-High Cornfield) that follows the unit onwards from the battle to liberate Rots on the 11th June 1944 through Normandy, Belgium, Holland and finally Germany ending on its Baltic Coast in June 1945.
We are dedicating pages in it to men from 46 who were killed in action or safely returned home.
we need any stories, photographs or documents telling their war journey's.
I cant find a Leonard James Arno on the 46 RM Commando Nominal Role for the men signed on from Plymouth.
46 did not land on DDay, they came in on Dday+1 June 7th.
However he may have been like Robert Casson - trained with 46 but then assigned to 4SS Brigade and came in with them on June 6th.
Dear All,
I have successfully made contact with Abi and we are now sharing information about her granddad and 46 RMC.

Forum Index » Profile for Jeff Hewitt » Messages posted by Jeff Hewitt
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger