commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Jacqueline Foster
Forum Index » Profile for Jacqueline Foster » Messages posted by Jacqueline Foster
Hello,

I think I may have found the answer to my last message. Not real sure but maybe.

Although John signed up for four years, I think the 5th/KOSB was a reserve unit and that embodied meant mobilisation and therefore John was embodied/called up for potential active service on 2/9/1939 and went with the BEF to France with the 1st/KOSB on 12/6/40 and became a No4 Commando at some stage after that.

I thought before, that he may have joined the commandos at aged 17, but now I think he may have been 18 or 19.

Thank you
Jacqueline
Hello,

I was told by my mum and aunt that John was in the 1st battalion/KOSB, as were his two brothers.

Today I looked at John's service records again and noticed it said he joined the Territorial Army, 5th bn and his unit was 5thKOSB.

Would anyone know if you stayed with the one battalion or could change battalions during your service, please.

Thank you
Jacqueline
I received John's death certificate today.
It said his age (at his last birthday) at the time of his death was 23.
This is incorrect as is John's age on his grave.
The age on the death certificate no doubt reflects John's stated age on his enlistment papers, which was incorrect.

Jacqueline
We are very sad that Scotty has died and send our heartfelt sympathy and love to Pam and family.

Scotty was a special man and he leaves an indelible imprint in the memories of those who knew and loved him.
Thank you Scotty. Rest in Peace.

Jacqueline, Alun, Scott, Michael

I
Hi Pete,

Thank you for placing the photo of John and his mam on the Gallery.

Thank you
Jacqueline
Hello Nick,

Your eyes are younger than mine! Luckily!

I didn't notice the stamp at first but now that you have mentioned it, I looked again and can just read a little of it. Thank you for discovering that, it means a lot.

I have been told that John's NOK didn't receive his medals, but who really knows now.
I can remember my Mum telling me that after John died, their Mam was given a tiny wee box with a couple of John's things in it. Mum told me Grannie was very upset on receiving the box and said to my Mum: "where are John's belongings, there's nothing of him here"?
I wonder if John's medals would have been issued before or after his death.

Thanks also for telling me about the Normandy Campaign Medal. I learn something totally amazing every time I look at this forum.

Thank you so much Nick
Jacqueline

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
I just read a message on the Forum about a young man and it mentioned that he received the Normandy and War medals.

I think John may have qualified for these medals too.

I haven't heard of the Normandy medal before.

I said in a previous message that John's records said he was killed in NW Europe and that I thought they meant NW France.

NW France is in NW Europe. Don't know what I was thinking.

Jacqueline
Very clear thanks Nick.

You explained everything in great detail and so well.

Thank you

Jacqueline
Hi Nick,

Thank you for your message. Nick I am definitely hooked.

Thank you also for the photos of the medals. You are so thoughtful and so very kind.

Re the Star medal. It says on the claim form that John signed and his CO approved that it was for the 1939-1943 star. (Army Form B2067).

Also with regard to John's age. On his grave it says he died aged 21 on 2 July 1944. I know he was born in 1921 and was 22 when he died.
His records say he was born Sept. 1920. By that record it should have said on his grave that he was 23 when he died. I wonder why.

Than you again
Jacqueline
Hello,

Could someone please help me answer some of the questions I have regarding John's service records?

He joined KOSB on 25/1/38 and was embodied 2/9/39 to 11/6/40.
Would this mean he joined NO4 Commando on 2/9/39 and was just in training until 11/6/40?

On 12/6/40 to 18/6/40 he was with BEF W6769. I guess that means British Expeditionary Forces.
Would that mean he was on Operation Ariel in France? I wonder what W6769 means.

Then on 19/6/40 John was Home NR. What would NR mean?

From then to 16/2/44 is not recorded. I wonder why. I know John was at Dieppe during this period but nothing else.

Then it says John was abroad 16/2/44? To 2/7/44. I wonder why the question mark after 16/2/44.

A lot of questions I know. Even if one of them is answered I would be very grateful.

It also says he was killed 2/7/44 in North Western Europe. I think they must have meant North West France.

It also said he was 5ft 4ins and weighed just 114 pound when he joined KOSB. He was only 16 so he was just a wee boy. He did grow into a tall young man.

His nationality was recorded as Scotch. Maybe they meant Scottish!!! Fancy calling a Scotsman Scotch.
That's funny!

The records say John received the 1939/45 Star.
I think they meant the 1939/43 Star. That would have been for Dieppe I think.
He also received the France Germany Star and the Defence Medal.
This info is gold as I can now get duplicates made for John's sister Anne.

At the bottom of John's claim for the 1939-43 Star is says:
GHQ 2nd (can't read) 21 Army Gr No4 Commando Pt 111 o No4 w/10/40/44.
Do you know what that means please?

I would be grateful if even one of my questions was answered.

Thank you very much
Jacqueline

Hello Nick,

John's service records arrived in the post today. He did put his age up. He was only 16.4 years old when he joined the KOSB and 17 years old when he was embedded. What an amazing feeling of pride, gratitude and sadness to read of John's service.

Thank you so much Nick for telling me how to go about applying for John's records.

I am sincerely grateful to you.

Regards,
Jacqueline

Dear Scotty,

We wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Stay good.

Love,
Jaki & Alun

Forum Index » Profile for Jacqueline Foster » Messages posted by Jacqueline Foster
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger