commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: sjb007
Forum Index » Profile for sjb007 » Messages posted by sjb007
Pete & Nick

Congratulations and best wishes to you both in your new posts and thank you to all at CVA for all the help so far.

Kind regards
Sarah
Hi Pete

Yes will definitely get those for you and any others you may think of.

Best wishes
Sarah
Hi All

I am off to Crete next month and plan to visit Souda Bay War Cemetery and the Maritime Museum. Hopefully this is the first journey of many to try to find out a bit more about Dad and his time during WW2.

If anyone would like any photos while I am there, I would be more than happy to help.

Kind regards
Sarah
Hi John

I hope it is ok for me to add a bit here.

I have just read your post for the first time and as with many others who have read this, it has brought me to tears.

I could never have written such a truly heartfelt, eloquent and inspirational piece like you have, but echo every sentiment exactly. It has inspired me once again to carry on trying to find out about my Dad so thank you.

Sarah
Hi All

I have found a bit about the RFR which I have attached a link to, I cannot find a later edition than January 1914 so this might not be correct for the time frame I am looking for and I know this is going far away from any possible Commando link, but wondered if anyone knew what "Special Service" men might refer to in No. 11.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/RFR/RFR.html

Any help/advice again would be very much appreciated.

Best wishes
Sarah
Hi Jeff

My father (William Baker EX1278(T)) also joined at Exton on 29 January 1940 and held this service number until 31 December 1945. He then went into the RFR for his 12 year service with a CHB Service No. (Chatham Class B). His war time service record shows him as a Tradesman (Driver, I believe) and possibly the T therefore stands for Tradesman, or perhaps Transport?

Best wishes
Sarah
Dear All

I have found a Lt F W Phillips RM in the London Gazette September 1931???

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33757/pages/6235/page.pdf

Sarah
Thanks Mark

Now I know how to add links, I probably should have done that myself! And I didn't re-read all of the thread about Dad on here, so thank you for clearing up any confusion I may have inadvertently caused.

Best wishes
Sarah
Hi Pete

Just had a quick google search for this CO and have also found one for Lt F W Phillips in the South African Air Force. Could there be any connection given Dad's other contacts previously listed?

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1282183/PHILLIPS,%20F%20W

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1945/1945%20-%201637.html

Not knowing how these things worked, could Dad have been temporarily attached to the SAAF and would this CO then have signed his RM Record, or am I way off the mark with this?

Best wishes
Sarah
Hi Pete

Thank you for your post and link. I have sent the Lodge an email and will let you know if I hear anything.

Best wishes
Sarah
Dad's Service Records.

Sarah
Hi Ian

Thank you for your post, I am rushing out now but will have a proper look when I return and try to post Dad's Service Record as well, which i have been meaning to do for some time, but it is not as full as your Grandfather's.

Thank you again and good luck with your research also.

Best wishes
Sarah
Miss you Dad

Sarah
Hi Nick

Thank you for your comments, I haven't had the time for a while to do any research, but I usually have a look at the forum each night to see what has been posted.

I came across the linked photo by accident googling the 23 Div and one link led to another until I saw this photo and thought it was too similar to dismiss. Hopefully I might have some time soon to check this out further but its great that you agree it is probably the same promenade. It gives me another starting point.

Thank you and best wishes
Sarah
Dear All

Please could I once again ask for your help and expertise. I have recently come across a photo of a group of 8th RTR in Palestine 1943, which looks very similar to a photo of my father with a gentleman from a Tank Regiment. I have attached the photo again and posted a link to the other photo I have found.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.191235304222249.49130.191233660889080&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=191237564222023&set=a.191235304222249.49130.191233660889080&type=3&theater

Firstly, could I ask if this could be the same place. I appreciate promenades the world over may be very similar, but the seats, tree surrounds and railings are indeed very similar. I would welcome anyone's thoughts and opinions if this does look like it could be the same place and if that was the general consensus among forum members, what significance, if any, would that have?

I would appreciate any comments and thank you in advance.

Best wishes
Sarah

Forum Index » Profile for sjb007 » Messages posted by sjb007
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger