commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: JOHN W
Forum Index » Profile for JOHN W » Messages posted by JOHN W
Hi Nic. Thanks for some great photos.
We agree with you, Debbies pitch perfect Last Post was very moving.
Thankyou Debbie.
John and Jan white.
I will do Private Godden Bournemouth Nth
Rgds.
John.
Hi Geoff and Jim.
Got a few of the names for the record.
Top row 1st on left (light above his head) as you look at photo Len Justice.
Sitting next to Col Newmans right is my father Jack White.
dont know who is sitting next to my Dad but the chap to his right is Reg Downes.
And the chap with the pint glass in the row below Col Newman next to the guy wearing the black bow tie is Bill Willet.
And the laying on the floor is Charlie Goff.
I have met a couple of the others but cant remember the names.
Great photo Jim. Thanks.
John White.
I can do Welford Road L C Norman Pearson Hunter. Im up in Welford next month.
John white

*** Thanks John I have marked you down for that one...Pete ***

** delayed due to snow being done March ***
It is with great regret and again with sadness that Charlie Goff # 2 Commando 5 troop passed away last Wednesday July 14th age 95 in Swanage, Dorset where he had lived since 1954. His Funeral will take place at Poole Cremetorium this Friday at 1400.
I had known Charles from my birth, he and my Father Jack White Also # 2, were true friends having known each other before the war.
Charlie has left me a couple of photos etc, but most treasured, a 60 page documented brief history of his Commando years. I have not seen them yet, but will when poss will share them with you all, and of course have them with me and my family at Fort William this November.
John White.
Hi John.
Yes i have the original, i sent a copy of to Bob Bishop [God Bless Him] and he posted it on the units section. My Father top row right, with all names listed below. Tasty looking bunch eh !.
Rgds.
John
Hi John
Yes, great photo, ive got the original and its on commando units #2. Pls tell me, was that a photo, or a copy that you pictured.
Rgds John White
We cannot put into words how deeply shocked and saddened that Bob is no longer with us. I too like Sam (CREEDY 76) hugged him on Monday, the only man that i have sincerely hugged since my Father, (also # 2), and also like Sam, we were blessed that our sons Ben and Josh met him. They, like us enjoyed his and Janets company memories and humour.
A GREAT MAN, who we will all remember.
John Jan Ben and Josh White
hi. Im in regluar contact with ex 5 troop 2 cmdo Charlie Goff, hes 94 and talking to him last week, he mentioned "Dusty Miller" i will be seeing him in a week or two and will try to get some info for you.
Regards
John White
Hi Blewis
Just noticed your photo of 3 troop. My Father was in 6 troop, but ive just seen one of his great friends Charlie Goff who is in the third row from top,second from the left . He is now a very fit 93 years old and i see him every couple of weeks. I will download yr pic and show him this weekend. He may have some info for you, though his memoory at times is a bit rusty. However, i will try my best and come back to you.
Rgds John White
Hi Dan and JOHN.
Firstly thanks Bob for forwarding the names of # 2. but Bells J, should read Bellis J. That was probably my error, sorry, and thanks to all. John
------
Nick
I have read and reread your"carefully written post" in response to Lusherhouse/Hockhamlain posts re the PIN. If, as you said "that you find yourself in disagreement" with another forum member re the right to wear it, then naturally i take it that you are in disagreement with me ?
However, pehaps you can enlighten me as to which end of the stick you are, and maybe we can swap places.

JOHN
This is my first posting on the forum and i am afraid it is out of character of me to rant my rage and question a comment that has been made, and somewhat endorsed by a forum member regarding the wearing and display of the lapel / tie pin dagger.
I, and my wife, have attended many years gatherings at Fort William with my Father and Mother and have great memories of our weekends with veteran Commandos and their families, most of whom regrettably,are no longer with us or are to incapacitated to attend.
I am a son of a Commando 6 troop Number 2, was, and still is proud that like so many others who had a Dad who endured that tough training allowed him and them to wear with pride that coveted Green Beret.
I together with my wife have stood on that hill in various degrees of inclement weather watching with pride, then and now, as the Pipes and Band play, and they march up that HILL, it still brings a tear to my wife and a lump to my throat.
When my Father was too ill to attend,and some years later prior to his death, he gave me his BERET, CAP BADGE, FS FIGHTING KNIFE, and a PIN, yes a PIN ! .,A pin of a DAGGER, which my Mother wore at every F W gathering. Would the person or persons who posted their responses on the forum imagine for one second that it was wrong of her to display in some small way that she was the proud wife of a of a COMMANDO.
I now come to the reason for my outrage and yes it is outrage, that now both my Father and Mother have gone, that I, as a son of a Commando should not be allowed to wear a pin in respect of my Father and many more Fathers to show our respect and honour to these men.
I attended F W this year with my Wife and sons, during all the ceremonies i carried my Dads beret and cap badge in my overcoat pocket, and stood up there at the memorial, where, by the way i scattered his ashes in 1994 and took them out for the one minute and then returned them to my pocket. However, that PIN, was given to ME, yes ME, by my Dad ,and i am proud and feel honoured to have it, and to display with pride, not to give any impression that i am, or ever was, one of these ELITE group of men, then or now, for these men can still proudly wear their green berets on thier heads.
No, i wear that pin only at Fort William, on a Saturday and a Sunday.once a year and will continue to do so out of respect and pride for my DAD and his comrades.
I do not feel the need ,though i have been informed in my ignorance, that i could display my Fathers medals on the RIGHT side of my chest. I feel, that to wear one small piece of silver, yes, mine is real silver - can say it all !
I will continue to wear this pin as my Father and other deceased Fathers, cannot . I therefore, represent him as hopefully, both my sons will when i pass on to show their RESPECT, PRIDE, HONOUR and GRATITUDE to their GRANDFATHER and his PALS..
JOHN WHITE.
ASSOCIATE MEMBER
Hi David
whereabouts are you in Dorset, i am still in contact with one of my Fathers old pals, hes 92 and lives in Swanage. I go and have a beer with him every couple of weeks, i can have a word with him next time i go, cant talk to him by phone due to his hearing problems. Anyway let me know.rgds. John

Forum Index » Profile for JOHN W » Messages posted by JOHN W
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger