commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: unknowncommandos
Forum Index » Profile for unknowncommandos » Messages posted by unknowncommandos
Nick,

That database was compiled from the book I mentioned in my initial post. These are NOT the POW record sheets held at the National Archives.

Please read the source of the records on Ancestry:

British Army Prisoners of War, 1939-1945 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009.

If however anyone feels the need to double check my information for 12 pounds then that is fine.

For the Interrogation Questionnaires please consult this document:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/2jan2005.pdf

You will find all the Commandos POWs here as well as personal details and circumstances of capture. These records are not available for download ANYWHERE on the Internet......UNLESS you make physical contact with one of the researchers at the NA who will email the documents to you at a charge.
Some would argue that being captured by the Russians was just as bad, despite what you see on the newsreels with all the hand shaking and smiles........British POW's were used as bargaining chips in trade for Russians who had joined the Germans. Once the trade had been complicated those Russians were shot. Many committed suicide whilst in British captivity.

I am afrad the POW records are not avilable for download. Your going to have to make a trip to the National Archives or hire a private researcher. I do have copies of some of these records from men I have been researching and they are very detailed. The British secret service was very concerned about any mis-treatment of prisoners. Very often escape attempts are listed in those documents. The soldiers filled in the forms themselves.
Is there any chance someone could video this talk for those who have an interest but are unable to attend? Thank you.
Alan,

Your relatives last camp is Stalag 4A which was near Dresden. Many of the POW's from Italian camps were moved by the Germans. In some cases camps guarded by Italians became un-manned and the prisoners escaped before the Germans could arrive.

http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/pow/stalag4a.html

To confirm exactly which Italian camp your relative was at you must consult the POW records at the National Archives. It is common for POW's to move camps. One of the most famous incidents of the war the Berlin Death March. Its a shame there has to my knowledge never been any TV made about that incident.

Hope this helps.
It would appear he was rather tall and used to smoke a pipe during the war? One of the most distinctive looking Commandos I've come across.

I have a photograph of him Germany at the end of the war with his friends standing on a landing craft.
Rick,

I am afraid the information you have there is what is listed. The only information additional information I have is Record office Number 9.

Alan,

John Orton
Seaforth Highlanders
Reg No. 2819656
Pow No. 267098
Camp 4A
Record Office 16
Hi Anne, I can appreciate your frustration in trying to find out about your fathers war time activities. I have been researching No.3 Commando for a while and I can tell you that the smaller operations are not documented in the war diary. They are however documented in the medal citations for bravery. The place names and dates in the medal citations do not correspond with the war diary because I am assuming that if the officer writing the diary didnt know about those activities, how could he possibly document them?

You might be interested to know that all WW2 British Army service records will be made public in 10 years time, including Commando service records. No longer will there be this shrowd of secrecy or a select few individuals willing to share information. I think this will go a long way in helping people to understand the sacrifices of the British Army Commandos.

Contact the Scots Guards Regimental HQ, who still maintain all the Scots Guards Records. They will be able to look through the records pertaining to the alias surname your father used and try to find a possible match.

Telephone:
020 7414 3324

In regards to that Tarantino film I am a little surprised that the two Commando Associations did not lodge a complaint? I hope the Commando officer will be portrayed in a better light in the sequal films!
The citation for the Military Medal:

On 6th July 1944 an attack of troop strength was launched by No.3 Commando against enemy holding out in Le Plein.This troop came under heavy and accurate fire from a well concealed enemy strongpoint whilst advancing up the Main street as a result of which the Troop Commander was wounded and the Troop pinned down.An attempt to dislodge the enemy resulted in further casualties.Pte Jennings summed up the situation and called out that he would give covering fire.With supreme contempt for his own safety he advanced down the main street firing a bren gun from the hip.Almost immediately his water bottle was shot away by a burst of machine gun fire.Undismayed , he continued to advance firing from the hip and neutralised the enemy fire so effectively that his troop was able to bypass the enemy strongpoint and liquidate it Pte Jenning complete disregard for his own safety combined with the skill and accuracy he displayed under intensive fire from close range was largely responsible for the rapid capture of the objective. His courage from the date of landing and throughout the campaign has been in the highest of traditions of his service.(LG.01.03.45)
http://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/war_3cdo.htm

The official source.
HI Robby,

Please anyone correct me, but the majority of people who view the forum are not actual veterans. It really does help if you can post a photograph in uniform so the second generation of relatives and researchers can commence research which will assist you.

There are no WW2 records of WW2 commandos available for the public to view only direct blood relatives. Everything I am afraid is under strict lock and key or belongs to a select few who rarely share the information on the Internet.

So yes photographs really do help, we can go away look at the photographs we hold as researchers and start to piece together the history of when and where your father actually was. The name I am afraid will only ring true for veterans and sadly they are an ever dwindling number.

As Stan Scott told me. 3 Commando had a high turn over of men due to high casualties. Often men who were in the same troop cannot remember each other because of this.

Please do not give up!
The book is 'The Fighting Forth' by James Dunning. I picked it up in a book shop last week and there is an identical sniper traning photograph in there. I was wondering if it is the same photograph?
Please forgive my ignorance but is this not the same photograph in the unit history of No.4 Commando?
When speaking of 41 Commando I like to quote the film 'Retreat, Hell':

- Who are those guys?
- They are marines!

Aldridge.
Hello Lesley nice to meet you. Here is some basic information about your uncle from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Name: NIXON, WILLIAM ALLAN
Initials: W A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)
Secondary Regiment: Commando
Secondary Unit Text: and No. 3
Date of Death: 11/06/1944
Service No: 2060012
Additional information: Son of William John and Gertrude Alice Nixon; husband of Marjorie Gwendoline Nixon, of Ruislip, Middlesex.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: IVA. B. 4.
Cemetery: RANVILLE WAR CEMETERY

I can find no additional information in regards to why he died other than "Killed in Action". This is what happened on the 11th:

11th June 1944

Place: Chateau d'Amfreville

0430 - Stand to.

0600 - Bn Black Watch attack BREVILLE.

0630 - 1 Troop (45 Cdo) to clear SALLANELLES under Captain M. Woyevodsky. One S.P. Gun to shell houses at LONGUEMERE.

0700 - Major Hopson with one S.P. Gun starts for LONGUEMERE. S.P. Gun crosses Hawkins mine near CHATEAU gates and a track is damaged.

0730 - Major Hopson with other S.P. gun goes to edge of wood at 135754 and shells houses at LONGUEMERE. They are covered by patrol from 6 Troop under Capt Nixon. Enemy in BREVILLE put up 5 c.m. mortar smoke.

1000 - ORQMS Wardle becomes Lieutenant and Adjutant Wardle.

1200 - Patrol returns from SALLANELLES with wounded and prisoners. Pill boxes to N.E. still occupied by the enemy.

1645 - Sjt Edmunds and five others buried in orchard CHATEAU d'AMFREVILLE.

2000 - Comd 4 SS Bde arrives at 1 SS Bde. 47 and 48 Cdos coming into line to relieve Paratroopers.

2100 - 12 Para Bn relieved and pass through our lines.

2130 - Own shells fall in FDLs.

2133 - Severe mortaring of HQ. Captain B.D. Butler MC and five others killed. Lt T.N. Skelly and three others wounded.

2235 - Bde conference of mortar Officers.

Forum Index » Profile for unknowncommandos » Messages posted by unknowncommandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger