commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: petitjean56
Forum Index » Profile for petitjean56 » Messages posted by petitjean56
Very sad new
I had the honour and the pleasure to meet Capt Micky Burn several times in St Nazaire, London, Falmouth during the ceremonies and lunch of St Nazaire Society. I spent a lot of time talking at Micky, he spoke french very fluently and I had many contacts by letter each years.
He was very a modest man and a real gentleman.
Great Man.
Today for his funeral, my thoughts and prayers go out to him.
Rest in peace Michael.

Bernard PETITJEAN
Hello All

Please, in the first link, open the file film " Queen reviews men of valour" 1956

FANTASTIC DOCUMENT

Best regards

Bernard
Hello Ron

Perhaps some informations interesting for you.

The family of Sgt Tom DURRANT informed officialy by letter from the WAR OFFICE and ROYAL ENGINEERS record office the 10th december 1942, notifying the death of :
(N°) 1874041 Rank: Sergeant
(Name) DURRANT, Thomas Frank
which occured : on or shortly after 28th March 1942
the report is to the effect that he : Died of wounds.

other information :
The "Mum" of Sgt Tom DURRANT received a official letter from WAR OFFICE LONDON :
Her attendance is required at Buckingham Palace, at 10.15 o'clock a.m on Tuesday 29th october 1946, and may receive from the King, the posthumous award of the Victoria Cross awarded by Tom

Best regards

Bernard
Hello Thomas

Your great uncle Pte Henry CUNNINGHAM was on ML267 for the St Nazaire raid with the HQ Reserve team.

Equipe H.Q reserve

1 - RSM. Alan Moss (2/5)
2 - Bdr. Jack Aspden (9)
3 - L/cpl. Edward J. Bryan (2/4)
4 - L/Cpl. R. Cockin (2/4)
5 - L/cpl. John Coughlan (2/4)
6 - Pte. Henry P. Cunningham (2/4)
7 - Pte. Thomas Diamond (2/4)
8 - L/cpl. William Hay (2)
9 - Pte. W.G Jones (2/4)
10 - Pte. Jesse. Maylott (2/4)
11 - L/Cpl. Gerry Taylor (2/H.Q, radio)

Best regards

Bernard
Hello Mark

The French liaison Officers were the Capt Antony TERRY (speaking french), Capt Peter De Jonghe (Belgian speaking french) and Lt William LEE (french, real name is Raymond COURAUD)

Concerning ML447 / this motor launch must disembark the troops on the Old Mole, the boat receive many shells from guns of estuary and the German defenders of old mole throws the grenades on the deck, the ML is in fire, many sailors and commandos are saved by ML160. The ML447 drift in fire in the estuary and grounded on the beach "grand traict" in St Nazaire.
LEE is seriously wounded to the legs and stay 2 mounths to hospital in Truro before returning in mission with the S.A.S in France and in Italy.

Best regards

Bernard
Hello Mark

I wish you a good and happy new year.

W. LEE : Perhaps, Lt William LEE (S.O.E) participated to CHARIOT, St Nazaire raid : ML447.

Regards

Bernard
Hello Mandy

I wish you a very happy new year.

After the battle in St Nazaire, your grandfather have been captured and participated to the ceremonie the 1st April 1942 in the Escoublac cemetery with some survivors of the raid.
You can see your grandfather, Sgt Len Bayliss in the picture in "Album Operation Chariot", "The fallen from St Nazaire being buried", the soldier on the right is your Grandfather.

Concerning L/Cpl J. Donaldson, he would be on the photo of 3 troop album, third rank, position 10, from left to right.
The soldier, first rank position 2, will be H. Smart

Best regards

Bernard Petitjean
Hi Pete

Standing : ROY - HOUGTHON - BROOME - PROCTOR - MORGAN - VANDERWERVE - HODGSON - TAYLOR

Seated : Mac IVER - BLACK - DAY - COPLAND - ? - ? - BLISSET

Best regards

Bernard
Hello Charles

In Jon Cooksey book page 85, on the left the body Lt Robert Burtinshaw, I had confirmation by Lt John Roderick and by the Sgt Franck Carr. On the same picture, on the right certainely the body of Cpl George Stock.
There is the same picture in the magazine After the Battle n°59 page 12

Regards

Bernard
Hello

Exact, a photo exist in several books on the raid, photo show the body Lt Burtinshaw to foot of tower Flack near Penhoet basin area.

Regards

Bernard
Hello Pete

On the right, first row seated, arms cross, Major Bill Copland

Regards

Bernard
Hello Pete

Your father is in this photo, from left to right 4th row, position 7, your father, position 6 : Pte Peter Honey.

Best regards

Bernard Petitjean
Dear Bob

It is very important for my researchs in Chariot Operation. Please could you answer to my request concerning the names (see my request dated 1:02:08) that you know on the photo of the troop3 of 2 commando.
See the document attached in my message of 1/02/08.

Thanking you in advance

Kind regards

Bernard
Dear Bob

Please, could you identify and to place the soldiers that you named Sgt. A. Maclean, Cpl. L. O?Downell, Cpl. V. Finch, Lieut. Mike Burn, Cpl. A. Woodiwiss, L/Sgt. Bob Davies, L/Cpl. J. Donaldson, Cpl. Bill Beardsall, L/Cpl. A. Howarth, Pte. J. Carroll, Pte. A. Elliot, Pte. J. Dickenson, Pte. A. Sherwin, Pte. Jack Jarvis, Pte. J. McDonald, Pte. H. Simpson, Pte. G. Ewens, Pte. F. Gooch * now correctly identifed as Rfn. Frank GOODE, RUR attached to 3 troop No 2 Cdo, taken POW at St Nazaire..PR, and Pte. W. Mattison on the document attached hereafter.

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Bernard
Dear Anthony,

Your great uncle L/Sgt Peter Harkness was in the protection team of Sd/Lt Morgan Jenkins with L/Cpl R. Burns, L/Sgt W.Gibson and L/Cpl G.Hudson.

Best regards

Bernard

Forum Index » Profile for petitjean56 » Messages posted by petitjean56
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger