commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: Selman
Forum Index » Profile for Selman » Messages posted by Selman
Hi Nick,

Thank you for that. Like so many, my dad never spoke of his service until near the end.
Through these pages, I found photographs of him after the raid.
I have his ?pay book? listing his courses..and his time training in Scotland.
I?ve yet to apply for his service records..or the medals he never claimed..he couldn?t reconcile
His actions with the reward..
Many thanks
Jason
Im visiting France on the 28th September, the anniversary of the raids.
My father..Frank Selman, was a Sgt on the Deepcut raid.
I wish to pay my respects to the two fallen commandos...I know they're at rest in a cemetery at Luc sur Mer..Please
does anyone know which one?
Many thanks
Jason Selman
I think I've identified my dad in the photos taken after the raid.

I know he talked of raids that he undertook when in the 'commandos' but all the paperwork I've found at home relates
to his regiment being The Welch.

In his Paybook it lists the courses he undertook, including one for 'fieldcraft' in Scotland...this dates from 1941.

It reads.. `Advanced Fieldcraft Course S.T.C Scotland April 14th 1941

He mentioned training with an officer called Peter Scott and Lord Lovat and his scouts.

He was to take part on a raid to the Lofoten Islands, but it was turned back due to the weather.

I've yet to apply for his service record, but wonder if anyone would be kind enough to have a look at his paybook to see what it might contain.

Many thanks

Jason Selman
Thats the one!!!

Well done!..Dad was stationed at Old Bury Hill House in Westcott Surrey. He was a weapons instructor there.

I have his Eastern Command Bulldog badges..so that's where it might tie in..

Jason
John..I have emailed the picture..Many thanks..

Jason
Thanks for the reply Paul.

He was in the Welch Regiment..and returned to it in 1942 as an instructor.

I'll try and upload again.
I have tried uploading a photo with no luck.

It's red sword piercing through what looks like a yellow/orange castle.

It's on a black background.It's about 1" high.

Hope that may help..

Regards

Jason
I have found some cloth badges from my fathers WW2 uniform. I can't identify one of them..Please can anyone suggest where I might try?
Many thanks
Jason Selman.

Father, Frank Selman 1 Commando 1941-1942
Andy, many thanks. I have sent you a pm. I think I may be able to identify dad.
Many thanks
Jason
Many thanks.I now have his service number, it only has 6 figures, but I presume that is correct?
Having seen some scanned copies of service records on the internet, I presume there will be someone who has the knowledge to decipher to some extent their meaning?
Many thanks for the assistance.
Sadly my father passed away in Nov last year aged 93. He spoke very little of his time in the war.
I did find out that he volunteered as a Commando, and went to Scotland to train with Lord Lovat. He later went on small raids to the North coast of France in 41/42. During one raid his party were involved with some Germans on bicycles? His Bren gunner was wounded and mentioned in dispatches..
If anyone can help perhaps identify a unit or even of heard of him..He was a Sgt and ended up training small arms etc at Studland prior to D Day.
Many thanks.

Forum Index » Profile for Selman » Messages posted by Selman
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger