commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: KTB1969
Forum Index » Profile for KTB1969 » Messages posted by KTB1969
I'd be very grateful for some help finding information on my relative, L/Cpl Joseph T. Larkin. With the exception of his step sister, all of his close family are no longer alive and I know very little about his military career. I'm bringing my father, his cousin, to visit his grave at Hollybrook, Southampton in early December and we'll also pay a visit to Portsmouth to see the 48 RMC memorial.

According to Ken Ford's book "D-Day Commando" p.32, L/Cpl Larkin was the first of 48 RMC killed on D-Day. He quotes Sgt Bill Hudson:
"Suddenly we changed course and headed for the beach. It was at this time that we had our first casualty when Lance Corporal Larkin, who was standing just ahead of me, was hit in the head by a stray bullet, killing him instantly. He was a very old comrade from 7th Battalion and to be killed in this way a mile out to sea had a bitter irony." His body was returned to England later the same day.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Forum Index » Profile for KTB1969 » Messages posted by KTB1969
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger