commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: MarkBanks
Forum Index » Profile for MarkBanks » Messages posted by MarkBanks
Hi,
Just wanted to post some photos of my GF Arthur Banks who was with No 1 Commando.

Mark Banks
A few more of my GF Arthur Banks

I also have a scanned copy of his service records if anyone is interested - would like to know his troop and activities (I know he was in Op Torch)

Mark Banks
Hi,
Just posting some pictures of my GF who was in No 1 commando from its inception.

Would be greatful of any info that the forum can offer (thanks previously to Andy Maines and Nick Collins).

I hope these pictures post okay.

Mark Banks
Is there anyone who could help with deciphering my GF's service records?
There are numerous abbreviations, marks, etc which I am unaware as to their meaning and so would love so assistance.

Am happy to post the jpeg snapshot of his records.

Mark (grandson of Arthur Banks, No 1 Commando)
Hi,
Just located this picture of my GF Arthur Banks along with a couple of his pals - Ben & Happy.

Anyone know who these guys are?

Mark

Hi,
I have managed to locate this picture of my GF Arthur Banks (on the right of photo) along with a couple of pals - Ben and Happy.

Anyone know eho these guys are?

Mark
anybody having trouble trying to upload an image with a message?
Just had a look on the 'links' page and found an interesting web site on No 6 Commando, detailing personnel involved.

Does anyone know if anything similar exists for No 1 Commando as I would like to find out some more info re my GF

Mark
Thanks John for the info re the book - I will try and get hold of a copy.

I was interested in your comment re the personnel involved - does this book detailactual personnel from the troops/units of the Commandos?

I really want to find out which troop of No1 Commando my GF belonged to - if anyone has any ideas/suggestions as to how to find out this type of information then that would be great.

Thanks
Mark
John,
Thanks for the suggestion - I already have this book along with a few others.
I would love to get to Kew to see the diaries but living in the Midlands makes life at bit difficult.

Anyway, I thought I would post so details of his service record to see if anyone has any further info (I have this electronically if anyone can help to decifer - am happy to email)

Arthur Banks - enlisted Oct 1939 into Suffolk Regiment (1st Bn Cambs Reg)
Posted to No 8 Ind Co in Apr 1940
Moved into No 11 in May 40 (based in Glasgow)
Back into No 8 in Jul 40 (based in Southampton), then Carbis Bay in Aug 40 and Plymouth in Oct 40
Became Corporal in Nov 40 (based in Dartmouth) and then posted to A Co No1 Special Services Bn
Posted to No1 Commando on 4th Mar 41
Disembarked for Th of Ops 8th Nov 42 (North Africa)
Left Th of Ops 23rd Apr 43 (after proximity to explosion)
Posted to 3 IndTraining Depot Jun 43
Posted 8th Bn Suffolk Regiment Jul 44
Released from Army on 20th Apr 46

If anyone can help then that would be great to try and fill in the gaps.
His records do not state much in terms of his actions (which I understand is quite normal) but my father is sure my GF was involved in blowing up submarine pens (which links me to St Nazaire). My father also remembers my GF having a salamander patch.
I have 4 of his medals with original ribbons and have manged to get some
No1 arm flashes.
Any info would be gratefully received.

Mark
Hi, Looking for any info re my Grandfather who was attached to No 1 Commando from their inception (formerly part of A company No 1 SS Brigade).
I have his service records along with some pictures (see avatar) and medals and am aware he was involved with Operation Chariot and Torch but would love to find out some more information (such as Troop, colleagues, etc).
If anyone has any details of the No 1 Commando war diary from 40-43 then that would be great.
I really want to know more about my GF's exploits but never really got chance (or interested at the time) to ask him before he passed away.
Thanks.
Mark Banks (proud grandson)

Forum Index » Profile for MarkBanks » Messages posted by MarkBanks
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger