commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Messages posted by: JB
Forum Index » Profile for JB » Messages posted by JB
Great to hear If any other assistantance is needed I can help as well although I can probably not add more as Mike and Paul have a vast knowledge on commando insignia and arguably one of the best sources in the UK.

I hope to visit the museum once it is redone.

Cheerio,
JB
Good morning

I saw in the gallery a nice display of medals of Albert Bloemink very nice! There is also a picture of his green beret but if I am not mistaken that is a beret of my collection that I asked Andy Maines to upload a few years ago see other link.

Cheers

JB

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/10IA/Dutch/bloemink/Green+beret+of+Albert+Bloemink.jpg.html

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/Commando+Badges+and+Memorabilia/10IA/D4-10IA+Commando-No_2+Dutch+Troop-Jean-+Baptiste+Brekelmans.jpg.html
Hi Emma and Andy,

What is the name of the book would love to read it!

Cheers,

JB
Pictures of Douglas Arnold army number 2932428 Liverpool Scottish, no 7 commando, L-detachment SAS, 1stSAS. Doug was with No 7 commando at Crete when the German paratroopers invaded. When British troops surrendered he led a spectacular escape in a boat with 13 men and arrived in Sidi Barani (3 men died) Doug is an SAS original one of the 66 first recruits selected by David Stirling who had heard of his escape.Doug took part in the first SAS operation Squatter the intended raid on Axis aerodromes at Tmimi and Gazala airport on 16 November 1941. The raid was a complete failure no sabotage took place and of the 65 SAS men only 22 returned. Doug was in the Tmimi party led by Lt. Paddy Maine and injured his ankle and left behind and after three cold nights was taken prisoner by Italian troops and evacuated to an Italian POW camp.He escaped 2 times and after helping Italian partisans with sabotage he rejoined 1stSAS and took part in SAS operations in NW Europe. Theres is an interview with Douglas Arnold in the IWM collection.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80019733

Douglas was a bycicle legend he went by bike to SAS renunions in London from his home in North Wales to London until his seventies and still sleeping in the rough. He wanted to revive his escape experiences
during ww2.

Douglas served in 7 Commando in GB and Crete, 1940-1941; served with Special Air Service in North Africa, 1941; POW in Italy, 1941-1943; escaped and joined Italians Partisans in Italy, 9/1943-9/1944; served with Special Air Service in North West Europe, 1945
Hi Eileen,

The picture on the CVA link is also interesting as Syd wears a black backed para wing which seems what no 2 commando did instead of the khaki backing. His face tells for sure! Cheers JB

Cheers

JB

Eileen wrote:I've got several photos of my dad from 1940 to 1946.

He's a fresh-faced lad in the first one but, in later War years, he's a hardened veteran.

I was being overly-cautious with my question mark in the other post ... it's him.
Hi Eileen,

Thanks !it looks like him indeed although on the link photo he looks older or may be very tired.

I got also a picture of 6 troop no 2 commando, cheers JB
Good morning

Can anyone help me to identify a member of no 2 commando 6 troop called Syd?

Attached is a picture of him taken in Italy January 1944.

Cheers

JB
Hi Peter,

I do have a similar pair. They are really nice. I don?t know either where they come from or which era.

Cheers
JB
Hi Pete,

That?s fine great to see his photo!

Cheers
JB
Thanks Andy

Now back on forum.

Cheers

JB

Andy Maines wrote:Hi everyone

I was asked by J B Brekelmans to upload this letter from his collection, as the letter is in French I have attached a copy of JB's email to me as it contains a broad translation of the contents of the letter

"I just found below letter which may be interesting to put on CVA.

Reference letter from commander in chief of 4 Belgian troop Major Danloy for L/cpl Van Den Daele who served with 4th troop from 27/7/1942 till 14/8/1945. He served in Italy Yougoslavia and Walcheren. He was wounded in Walcheren It is certified he was always a good loyal soldier."

Cheers Andy
Hi Phill,

I am afraid this is a repro badge. I am collecting army commando since a number of years. I only know black red letters printed or embroidered.

I recommend the British and Commonweath badge forum you can learn a lot and avoid some costly mistakes.

Cheers,
JB

Phillip Lockett wrote:Gidday all

I am new to collecting Commando formation signs and cloth shoulder titles.

In Peter Taylor's book Allied Special Forces he shows a 4 Commando Red on khaki wool title worn c 1942.

My question is did they wear this style and is the one I show an original?

I believe its not as it doesn't look like the typical WWII era titles.

cheers

Phill
Thanks Chaps,

I was lucky to get Wilkin's green beret. Cheers, JB

I got info from a friend who has some notes from Ron the former secretary of the old comrades association of Pte Wilkin ER - 14989201 was in No1 Cdo.

Any more info available?

Cheers,
JB

Morning,

I am looking for info on a ww2 army commando E.R. Wilkin. Can anyone help?

Cheers

JB
When the SAS needed reinforcements end 1943 beginning 1944 they got a huge number of volunteers recruits from aux units. Ideal candidates as they were already well trained in clandestine war fare.

Cheers
JB

Forum Index » Profile for JB » Messages posted by JB
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger