commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
YEAR OF THE TIGER: 41 Cdo Royal Marines Korea Veterans Sought  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Andy_S
Forum Member

Gentlemen:

My name is Andrew Salmon. I am a Seoul-based reporter and the author of the recently published "To the Last Round: The Epic British Stand on the Imjin River, Korea, 1951," which I am gratified to see got some recent comments on this forum.

I will be arriving in the UK for three weeks on August 12th, to research a second book, provisionally entitled "Year of the Tiger: The Commonwealth Vs Communism, Korea, 1950." This book will, of course, heavily feature 41 Commando RM.

This speciast unit raided behind North Korean lines raids as battle raged in the south of the peninusula. After the North Korean People's Army collapsed after the Inchon Landing, 41 Cdo joined the USMC Division to be in at the kill. Then: Shock. The Chinese struck, en masse, out of the depths of the Siberian winter. The USMC and RMs were plunged into a battle for survival on a battlefield that is now legendary: The Chosin Reservoir. 41 Cdo fought through "Hellfire Valley" and into the cauldron at Hagaru-ri; were assigned as a QRF and defended the perimeter as Chinese attempted to overrun that critical base; and then formed part of the rearguard in the "march to the sea."

This escape from annihilation is an epic, but almost forgotten tale - in the UK at least. The Chosin Reservoir action is, I believe the most perilous operation any RM unit has been engaged in since WWII.

Last year I interviewed Lt Col Peter Thomas, and collected materials at the Imperial War Museum and the RM Museum, but this year, am hoping to get 6-12 really in-depth interviews with survivors.

If anyone has any contacts, please post them here, by PM, or contact me care of my website:
http://tothelastround.wordpress.com/

Very best regards -
Andrew Salmon
Seoul

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 07/07/2009 16:12:46

Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Your book To The Last Round is the best ive read all year Truly definitive .Couldnt put it down .

SE Donnison
[MSN]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

I also have your book. I must compliment you on your research of the individual officers and men which sets it apart from most other books of its type.

Here's a chap you might of heard of.........Dennis Leolin Samuel St Maur Aldridge, He was in that mob you mention. MC and Silver Star....double gallantry for Korea....deserves a mention in your book?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 09/07/2009 08:28:25

Andy_S
Forum Member

Gents:

Thanks for the kind words. Have had a profitable trip: Five veterans interviewed, and yes, considerable information on Aldridge. Formidable character. Will keep you posted on progress.

Andrew Salmon
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Dennis Leolin Samuel St Maur Aldridge was indeed a gallant soldier. Here is the only picture I could find of him and again thanks must go to John Robertson of the Special Forces Roll of Honour site who has given me permission to use photos from his site. His awards are as follows:
Palestine (MBE 40 Cdo);
Korea (MC,Silver Star -41 Ind.Cdo);
Suez (bar to MC)
[Thumb - Aldrdge MC.jpg]
 Filename Aldrdge MC.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  437 time(s)

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Andy if you need Aldridge's obituary from the Globe and Laurel please contact me.
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

Aldridge.
[Thumb - aldridge.gif]
 Filename aldridge.gif [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 313 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  445 time(s)

Andy_S
Forum Member

Unknown Commandos:

Many thanks, filed away. One of my interviewees - while discussing the fighting through "Hellfire Valley" - recalled a US Marine standing in the open and blazing away at the enemy when the column ran into a massive Chinese ambush at the narrowest part of the pass. Aldrige ran over and booted him in the arse to get him to fire from cover; He was a no-nonsense officer.

Thanks again.
unknowncommandos
Forum Member

When speaking of 41 Commando I like to quote the film 'Retreat, Hell':

- Who are those guys?
- They are marines!

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger