commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Captain Richard Broome, Lieutenants Philip Walton and John Roderick  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

All No.2 Commando.
New photos of the above have been sent to me from Mrs Roderick via Eric Buckmaster. I have posted them in the gallery but thought it would be good to see them here also. Richard Broome of 5 Troop was killed at Salerno, Philip Walton of 1 Troop was killed at St. Nazaire, John Roderick of 2 Troop was captured at St Nazaire. The one of Philip that we already had was poor quality so I was pleased to see this one and the others.
My thanks to Mrs Roderick and Eric Buckmaster
[Thumb - Lt. John Roderick MC.jpg]
 Filename Lt. John Roderick MC.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 196 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  526 time(s)

[Thumb - Capt. Richard Broome.jpg]
 Filename Capt. Richard Broome.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 421 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  503 time(s)

[Thumb - Lt. Philip Walton and Lt. John Roderick.jpg]
 Filename Lt. Philip Walton and Lt. John Roderick.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 95 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  513 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 17:31:03

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I thought I should add a little about Mrs Roderick MBE who provided the photos. Here is a small transcript of a letter that Eric Buckmaster sent me:
"When I joined 2 Commando mid 1942, Post St. Nazaire, the 5 Troop Commanding Officer was Captain Dickie Broome. He was married to the Lady whom I and possibly you know as Mrs Desiree Roderick. She has been the Secretary of the ? Commando Benevolent Fund ? for Many Years, and still works hard at the task, though these days with some help from Ronnie Youngman, well into her eighties.
She was then Mrs Desiree Broome. But he was killed in action at Salerno. After the War Desiree married Capt. Dr. John Roderick, who was wounded at St Nazaire, and a POW. John Roderick always wanted to be a Doctor. John was one of 4 Brothers & their Parents could not afford to send them all to College, and so did not think it fair to send only John.
So whilst he was a POW John Roderick got permission to work in the Hospital. He took his 1st M. B. Exams in Oflag 1XAH, and then was moved to Obermasfelt Prisoner of War Hospital where he worked as an Orderly.
After the war he went to St Marys Hospital to complete his studies and become a Doctor. He was until his death a very successful and well liked GP.
Desiree?s Brother, Capt. Houghton MC was one of the seven men captured after the Raid on the Heavy Water Plant at ? Glomfjord ? South of Narvik, in Norway. They were taken to Sachenhausen Concentration Camp, in Germany and Shot , on Hitlers orders. "

My thanks again to Mrs Roderick MBE. A picture of her brother is in the Operation Musketoon album in No.2 Commando Gallery with his fellow Commandos on that raid. I have also attached a copy here
[Thumb - Joe Houghton MC.jpg]
 Filename Joe Houghton MC.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  414 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 16/09/2009 13:52:38

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger