commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Joe Burnett, B Troop, No4 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
McQuaggy
Forum Member

I am looking for a man named Joe Burnett (the spelling of the name may be different). He landed at sword beach on d-day, he was in the Buffs regiment, although he himself is from Sunderland/Newcastle, and still speaks with quite a strong north-eastern accent. i have a picture of him then, and a picture of him as he was on the 5/6/2004, the day before the 60th anniversary in Ouistreham, Normandy.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p27/McQuaggy/JoeBurnett-1.jpg

Here he is, its from quite a famous piece of footage from the day itself, he is the man standing at the back in the beret.

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p27/McQuaggy/?action=view¤t=JoeBurnett.jpg

And here he is 60 years- 1 day later. I am the one in the yellow Mansfield Town shirt.

Any help on if he is still alive, address etc would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 18:22:18

Bob Bishop
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi - Brian?

Sorry to say we do not know Joe Burnett, but wanted to let you know how much we enjoyed the photos you sent, especially the recent one. It would appear from the cap badge that Joe was with No. 4 Cdo. He is also wearing a RBL member pin. Perhaps the local Legion Branches could help with your search (if he has in fact gone back to his home area).

We wish you luck with your search, knowing how thrilled Joe would be to know you remembered him and wanted to keep in touch.

All the best in your search.

Bob & Janet
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

yes, Joe BURNETT is still alive. He came here in Normandy last june for the ceremonies. He is a friend of mine since many years. He took part in the Dieppe Raid.
He was in B Troop 4 cdo.
bye
stéphane
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

Find enclose photo about Joe and myself taken last june in Ouistreham.

sincerely

stéphane
[Thumb - Joe Burnett - Stephane 2007.jpg]
 Filename Joe Burnett - Stephane 2007.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Joe BURNETT 4 cdo & stéphane 07 june 2007
 Filesize 69 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  501 time(s)

steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

I enclose photo, everybody know, about 4 cdo returning from the Dieppe Raid, on NEWHAVEN docks.
you can see Joe on the ext.right

sincerely

stéphane
[Thumb - N°4 Cdo Newhaven 1942.jpg]
 Filename N°4 Cdo Newhaven 1942.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description 4 cdo 19 08 1942 Dieppe Raid
 Filesize 1027 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  516 time(s)

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I was a little intrigued as to who the children were in the 2nd photo which I have copied here and also placed in the gallery so I asked McQuaggy (James) with a wee advisory marker to show his parents my message before replying. Here is the reply I received which is rather nice " My name is James, I am the one in the yellow shirt, my friend Gareth, his sister Laura, in the pink, and my sister Rachael, on Joe's knee!! First of all, I have no connection to Joe, apart from this brief meeting I shall describe. We decided in early 2004 to go across to Normandy for what we thought would be the last major celebration of the landings. We had just watched a parade of the vets. and Prince Charles in Ouistreham (Bill Millin was also there, but I didn't get to speak to him) on the 5th of June (2004) and decided it was time for dinner. So we went to a cafe and in walked Joe. My Dad and his friend (Gareth and Laura's Dad) immediately jumped to their feet and invited him over to sit and eat with us, as he appeared to be alone. However, we found out that he was with another Commando, whos name I can't remember, but if I ask my dad later, he'll know. Ill try to dig out a picture of him if we have one. I am now 17, 18 next month, so there is no need to worry about my parents!! "

[Thumb - JoeBurnett.jpg]
 Filename JoeBurnett.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 111 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  424 time(s)

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at 19/02/2012 19:46:43

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Dave Cumings
Forum Member

Very sadly, Joe Burnett died this week aged 88 in South Shields. He was my uncle and always an inspiration to me when growing up. The funeral is on Monday 27th April in South Shields.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Thank you Dave for letting us know of the sad passing of Joe Burnett.

May he Rest in Peace.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

My condolences to you Dave and all of Joe's family and friends. I will email young James who originated this forum mesage and let him know the sad news

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
McQuaggy
Forum Member

Very sad news. My condolences go to all Joe's friend's and family, a true gentleman, even though our meeting was very brief.
sie houghton
Forum Member

Hi,
I amnot a vetran but i had the honour of knowing Joe. Unfortunatley he has recently passed away after a short illness. Joe was a very decent man and a credit to his generation. He would always tell us ex soldiers stories of his time in France with great pride.
Sorry i found this site to late
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

Joe was my friend since many years.
He was very proud to took part to the Dieppe Raid in august 1942.
Next 6th june, I will be on the beach and the 19th august I will be in Varengeville at the Hess battery, and my thoughts will be for Joe. Recalling all these years we were together in those spots.
He was my friend.
stéphane
J Burnett
Forum Member

My name is Jarrod Burnett, I am Joe's great nephew, My granddad was Joe's older brother James Burnett, they had a third brother Bob, and a sister Mary. My dad was named after Joe during the war, with fears being that he might not return. But thankfully he did, my father was extremely proud of his uncle whom he shared his name with. My father also passed away a few years ago in South Shields.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Jarrod

Welcome to the CVA. As you can read from the messages on here your great Uncle Joe was a well liked and respected man. One of our French members, Stephane, mentions that he considered him a friend. With your great uncle being in the Commandos, and your father being so proud of him, I would urge you to consider, if you haven't already done so, joining us in the CVA as an Associate Member. How to do so can be found on the index on left of the main page under the heading Join the CVA. There are 6 pictures in our gallery (3 of which are shown on this forum thread) of Joe Burnett. If you haven't found them all go to the gallery and in the search facility type his surname and you will see them. Any difficulty let me know

Regards

Pete

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 06/07/2010 16:25:56

[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger