commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Commandos in Ayrshire and Arran  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Bazooka Joe
Forum Member

This is my first post here so please excuse me if I've posted this in the wrong section.

I know that there must have been a fair bit of Commando activity in the Ayrshire area as both Nos. 3 and 4 Commandos and the RN Commandos were based there.

I read recently that Eglinton Castle in Kilwinning was used by the Commandos for demolition training during the war which I found very interesting as I've been there many times. As I'm originally from the area I'm usually back once or twice a year, and thought it could be fascinating to see where else the wartime Commandos would have trained.

So I'd be very interested to learn more about where they trained, and what they did in the area, and would be especially interested in seeing any photos.

Thanks in advance for any input, or tips on where to find more info.

Cheers
Joe

Nick Birkinshaw
Forum Member
[Avatar]

If you conatct tourist information they may be able to help. They have an out of print leaflet called 'the commando trail' that they will photo copy for you but i think the focus of this is around Forth William area.

Nick

Nick

Grandson of Harold W. Hughes 3Cdo
Steve Hambridge
Forum Member

A very good source book for you would be one called 'Commando Country' by Stuart Allan, it does exactly 'what it says on the tin' :wink:, namely it describes the locations, terrain and training undergone by Commandos (and other = SOE etc..) in WW2. Obviosuly a large part is dedicated to locations in Scotland but it also includes other sites throughout the UK. It is a very good book indeed and extremely informative.

Steve

Please note: I had some trouble getting hold of a copy here down South - finally finding the book in Foyles, London. However Waterstones have the odd copy in shops throughout Scotland.
Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Joe

There are relatives of No4 Commando who still stay in Troon. I was from Troon originally and Dad was in No4 until he was killed in action on 1 November 1944 in Flushing. Did you see the post on the CVA site about the weekend in November in Troon? I will be going to that weekend and bringing my Commando stuff with me.

The photo which you see to the right is A troop of No4 in Barassie Street School in Troon following their successful part in the Dieppe raid.

Let me know if you have an email address by PM.

Are your related to a Commando??

Bill harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Joe

Check this link to the Combined Operations website for a list of WW2 Training Establishments:

http://www.combinedops.com/Training%20EST%20UK.htm

My father did demolitions training early on before the St Nazaire raid. They practised dockyard demolition in Burntisland and Cardiff. In a questionnaire he filled in my father states he also practised laying charges on the Forth Rail Bridge, and Boilerhouse and Power Station in the Old Town - which might refer to the Leith area of Edinburgh by the docks.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 19/06/2009 13:44:35

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Here is an extract from Brigadier Ken Trevor's Obituary in The Telegraph

Telegraph wrote:Kenneth Rowland Swetenham Trevor was born on April 15 1914 in Egypt, where his father was managing director of Egyptian Markets. He was educated at Rossall before going to Sandhurst, where he won a half Blue for boxing.

He was commissioned into the Cheshire Regiment in 1934, and the following year joined the 1st Battalion at Ambala, India, before moving to Bombay in 1938, where he became ADC to the GOC Bombay District. In 1939, Trevor was posted to the 3rd Battalion, Nigeria Regiment Royal West African Frontier Force.

After returning to England in 1941, Trevor volunteered for Special Service and joined 1 Commando at Kilwinning, Ayrshire. On one occasion, while training in the grounds of Eglinton Castle, an unoccupied, unfurnished house near Irvine, Trevor and his men were given permission to throw grenades and carry out demolition work inside the building. In the woods nearby, he came across an old gentleman who, when asked his business, replied: "I am Lord Eglinton."

While Trevor was apologising for the intrusion but explaining that he had received permission, there was a huge explosion and both men were struck by pieces of flying debris. Trevor found that he had more explaining to do.

He was given command of 1 Troop and, in June 1942, commanded a raid on St Cecily Plage, Le Touquet. This was followed later in the year by a raid on the La Zaret battery at Algiers harbour and another near the German base at Bizerta, west of Tunis, for which Trevor was mentioned in dispatches. He then took over command of 1 Commando from his cousin Tom, and sailed for India.

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Bazooka Joe
Forum Member

Thanks very much for all your answers so far. I'm not related to any Commandos I'm just interested in WWII history, and the fact that there is a local connection just makes it even more fascinating.

I'll have to look out for 'Commando Country', it sounds like it'll be an excellent read.

Does anyone know of other places in the area that were used for demolition training?

Cheers
Joe

MBrockway
Forum Member

Joe,
While not specifically about training areas, you might find the Topic about Tom McCormack, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch of 5 Troop, No 2 Commando interesting:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/857.page

They were all billeted at my grandfather's house in Seafield, Ayr.

2 Cdo were based in Ayr in 1941 and 1942. The HQ was I believe in Wellington Square, and the men were billeted in Ayr, Prestwick, Troon and the neighbouring towns.

At least some of 2 Cdo's training took place in Ayrshire and Arran, so you should add them to your list!

Cheers,
Mark

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.
sammyb
Forum Member

Hi,

I have some photos of 8 commando training on Arran in november/december 1940 if that would be of interest.

Sam
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Sam

As per our pm I look forward to posting your pictures of Fred Senior, and also your No.8 Cdo. training pictures on your return from Cincinatti. I am sure many of our members will be interested in seeing them.

Regards

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger