commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
134120 Capt Bernard James Barton, DSO, MC; No2 Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
micky
Forum Member

Hello, i'm new to this forum. I need informations about Captain (later Major) Bernard James Barton, DSO, MC, 134120, 2 commando.

As from my infos, Barton after some time in the 2 Commando was later detached with the SOE for a special mission in north italy called "CISCO RED".

Anyone can tell me if Maj. Barton is still alive, or know informations about the CISCO mission? Thank in advance

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 05/04/2013 18:30:40

Mick
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi there and welcome to the CVA. I have seen reference in the London Gazettes of 20/7/44 to the man you mention " The Distinguished Service Order. Lieutenant (temporary Captain) Bernard James Barton, M.C. (134120), Reconnaissance Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps (attd. Special Service Troops) (Hastings).
I have a copy of the No.2 Commando War Diary and a Lt Barton is mentioned there. I also have 2 copies of reports by a Lt Barton of No.2 Cdo. regarding operations in Brac. One at Pucisca against the German garrison and the other against the German Commandant of Brac. One of these actions resulted in him moving from No2. I believe. Would this be the same man you are referring to?

Regards

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/06/2009 00:26:26

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
micky
Forum Member

Pete wrote:Hi there and welcome to the CVA. I have seen reference in the London Gazettes of 20/7/44 to the man you mention " The Distinguished Service Order. Lieutenant (temporary Captain) Bernard James Barton, M.C. (134120), Reconnaissance Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps (attd. Special Service Troops) (Hastings).
I have a copy of the No.2 Commando War Diary and a Lt Barton is mentioned there. I also have 2 copies of reports by a Lt Barton of No.2 Cdo. regarding operations in Brac. One at Pucisca against the German garrison and the other against the German Commandant of Brac. One of these actions resulted in him moving from No2. I believe. Would this be the same man you are referring to?

Regards

Thank you Pete, i don't know: "my" Barton did special operation like these in north itally, in attempt to kill a SS high officer, not for the 2 Commando, but for the nr. 1 Special Force, in january 1945.

Mick
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I can now confirm that this man is identical to the Barton you mentioned. Lt B.J. Barton of No.2 Commando took part in several recce operations on Brac. On one of these he donned shepherds clothing to get past guards and kill the German Commandant. On these and others he brought back prisoners and information. This is all confirmed in the No.2 Commando war diaries and in the reports I have from the National Archives. The war diaries after these operations refer to him as Lt. B.J. Barton DSO MC. and show him being promoted to Captain and placed in command of 5 Troop No.2. On the 20th July 1944 he is shown as being told that he could no longer participate in their theatre of operations as the details of his exploits on Brac, including his name and the fact that he donned shepherds clothing, had been published in every English newspaper. As to what happenned to him after, if you find out please let us all know by posting a reply on this forum message.

Regards

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at 05/06/2009 19:29:29

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This is part of a transcript from Eric Buckmaster 5 Troop No.2 Cdo. sent to me very recently concerning Lt Barton :

"Peter, Thank you for the copy of the Report by Lt Barton. I have not seen this before, but it accords with the verbal report that we had heard about him. Interestingly enough it was your Dad who told me about the escapade. I don?t know when he joined 2 Commando, or whether he had been in one of the other Troops before hand, but after he returned from Brac he came to 5 Troop as the Lt. in charge of the Sub section that Stanley & I were in.
He was a good officer who exuded a strength of personality. He was not as flamboyant as Mad Jack Churchill, but he had an obvious Air about him.
If you think about the War Time, most of us were part of the Citizen Army
just serving our Country for the Duration. John Barton, was what you would have called a Natural Soldier. He would have fitted in readily with
Francis Drake, or Westward Ho.
He was only with us for about 3 months, but he took small parties of men on a couple of Recce?s to other Islands. He was Transferred elsewhere, because it was said that if he fell into German hands, his life might be forfeit. However he came back to see us after we had returned to Mainland Italy. It seems he had Parachuted on a couple of occasions behind the German Lines for some purpose."

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/06/2009 21:27:21

[Email]
micky
Forum Member

Thank you Pete, i think it was the same person. In some report Barton has been called John instead of James, but i think that john was a nickname.

I have a complete copy of the operation CISCO/RED, but is in itaian and i need to translate it. The purpose of the operation was to kill a german general, mentioned in the report as "general X", someone told me that it was the 16th SS division commander.

Mick
[WWW]
Luke
Forum Member

Hello,

BJ Barton is my grandfather. His name is Bernard James Barton but he has always referred to himself as John as far as I know this is because he doesn't like the name Bernard.

He moved to Africa after the war where he became a farmer and raised a family. He is alive and well although at 88 he's not as mobile as he used to be.

He's a very modest man and doesn't talk about the war although our family is aware that he was in the commandos in Italy. Other than that we (or certainly I) know very little so the information in this thread was fascinating. If you have any more information about what he went through in the war I would be very interested to read about it. Also I'm going to visit him in the next few weeks so if you wanted me to ask him a few questions I could give it a go but as I said above he may well not want to talk about it.

All the best,

Luke

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 20/07/2009 16:00:39

micky
Forum Member

Thank you luke!! I'll finish to translate the Operation Cisco Red Report soon as possible.

As for many other veterans, they doesn't like to talk about the war: Your grandfhater was the leader of the Mission Cisco/Red, when he was ordered to attempt to capture or kill the general "X" the leader of the mission became another great commando, the captain Neal Oughtred who was wounded in the Saint Nazaire raid.

I have A LOT of question for your grandfather, but only two, for now:

1) who was the general X?

2) He remember the name of the american airman who returned to Gova?

Thank in advance

Mick
[WWW]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi there Luke...may if firstly say welcome to the CVA and secondly a very warm welcome to your grandfather. Has your grandfather access to a computer. The reason i ask is that I would like to know if he has seen the galleries and read the forum of the CVA. Many people were not aware that a new association had begun after the Commando Association stood down in 2005. Out of respect to your grandfather it would be best to clarify this first with him. Also, as you say he is a very private person, it would only be proper to ask him whether he wishes some personal details about him placed in the galleries or on the forum. I have some information about him as can be seen from my previous messages here. I can only say that we in the CVA ( well certainly me in particular) would hope that he might allow us perhaps to post a picture of him and maybe a little information similar to what has been placed about others in the No.2 Commando Gallery. You might also want to mention to him the comments of a No.2 Commando Veteran, Eric Buckmaster, that I posted again in this forum message thread. Finally Luke if you or your grandfather want anymore information you can contact me either direct here , privately on a pm, or on my email

If I can be of any assistance please do contact me

Regards

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 23/09/2014 22:23:19

[Email]
micky
Forum Member

Due to recent discovery, its confirmed that Barton's objective was General Von Vietinghoff!!!

Barton himself told all to Major Davies, S.O.E. BLO in modena area, and Davies believe it was a cover story!!!

Mick
[WWW]
LewisAuthor
Forum Member

Im trying to contact Major Barton's grandson, Luke Griffiths, as I am an author writing a book about SOE and SAS operations in Italy in 1944/45 and Major Barton features in the story. ANy help or contact greatly appreciated. Damien Lewis / www.damienlewis.com
[Email]
LewisAuthor
Forum Member

Luke Griffiths - thanks for your reply by email re your grandfather; I have replied to your email, so hope you are receiving those okay. Best regards, Damien Lewis www.damienlewis.com
[Email]
Eileen
Forum Member
[Avatar]

What an interesting thread and what a man!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 13/06/2018 18:53:14

If I have praised my comrades too highly I make no apology, for they were beyond all praise.

Lord Lovat - No 4 Commando
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger