commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Cpl. John "Jack" Wells - No.4 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

I have been contacted by the grandson of Cpl. 3056452 John Wells, Royal Scots and No4 Commando. He has identified his Grandfather as being in several of the Edinburgh branch of the Commando Association pictures I posted. He is keen to know if anyone knew of his grandfather or has any information about him. He is applying for his service record. His Grandfather was also known as " Jack" Wells and he served in No.4 Commando from its beginning. He has already sent me some interesting pictures and documents and intends to send more. He also has papers such as his discharge certificate and Commando Service Certificate. I will be posting them in the No.4 Cdo Album or other relevant album. So if you know any 4 Cdo. veterans please ask them if they knew Jack. Here's a picture of him in his Royal Scots pre Commando days. The others will follow. Hopefully his grandson Richard will put a message in response to this so that members can reply direct to him if they have any information. In the meantime any messages can be posted here and I will pass them on
[Thumb - Jack Wells in Royal Scots Uniform abt 1940.jpg]
 Filename Jack Wells in Royal Scots Uniform abt 1940.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description Cpl. John "Jack" Wells - Royal Scots and No.4 Commando. Picture courtesy of his grandson Richard
 Filesize 147 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  429 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 01/06/2009 22:47:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Rich
Forum Member

Thank you very much for posting this information. If anyone remembers my grandad (he died in 1979) or has any information about what he did I would love to hear from you. Best wishes Richard Wells (grandson of 'Jack' Wells)
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

There is a photo of No.4 Commando kindly sent to me by Richard Wells, grandson of Cpl. John "Jack" Wells. Can anyone assist with the location it was taken, the date or year, and any other names. From the hats they are wearing I would assume it was an early No.4 pic. The link to the picture,which can be zoomed, and is of excellent quality is here:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/troop+photos/Jack+Wells-No+4+Commando.jpg.html

There is a hats off version of this photo in the No.4 album which can be accessed here:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/troop+photos/Jack+wells+No+4+Cdo+hats+off.jpg.html

and Jack's album with his Commando Service Certificate and Release document can be found here:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/John++Wells/

Finally there is a picture in the album, of Jack with a Dutch landlady he was apparently billeted with at some time. Can anyone give anymore information on either the photo or the circumstances. Here is the link to that picture:
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoGallery/v/units/4/John++Wells/jack+and+Dutch+landlady.jpg.html

This message was edited 9 times. Last update was at 08/02/2010 15:05:51

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
steph
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hello

The photo of the troop, is D Troop.
Taken in TROON in 1942.
I've the one without caps. I know only two names on it
Capt. PAT PORTEOUS VC and Tanky BRYNE.
This is Tanky's daughter who gave to me this photo.
sincerely

stéphane

Forum Index » Wartime Army Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger