commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
B Troop no. 2 Section, 42 Commando  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Karon
Forum Member

I have a silk map of Malaya which belonged to my dad who was in 42 Commando. There are signatures around the edges of the map and I thought I would share these names with you should anybody be interested in tracking down their relatives. The names are rather faded but I think they are:-

WH Grant-Hanlon (my dad)
WH Elliot , Cromwell Rd, Sprowston, Norwich
JAG Hopwood, Eastwick Cottages, Burnham on Crouch
Sargeant Eadle, Hoxton Road, Scarborough
WJ Wilkins, Aston, Birmingham
JC Haynes, Avondale Rd, Eastbourne
J Marran, Wakefield Yorkshire
J Allway, Horsley, Gloucs
J Holly or Holby, Bromley
Sargeant Major Buzzard, Windsor
Captain VC Soddrington, Pennant
Luiet VP Wilson, Oxford
Brigadier Mansfield, Bermondsey

Hope this can be of use. :D

Karon
[Email]
JMHaynes
Forum Member

Hi, I'm a relative of JC Haynes - he was my grandad. Do you think you could send me a photograph of the map?

I'd really appreciate it, as I don;t have much to remember him by and I only recently found out that he was a Commando.
Thank you so much.

John Mark Haynes
markh
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi Karon, what a great momento and record of your dad and others. thanks for sharing the names, what a nice surprise for John !

If you feel you can, could you share a photo of the map with the site, we all all intrigued to see it. Indeed, any other photos of your dad would also be welcomed.

Karon posted about her dad back in May 2009
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/940.page#3863

Hopefully John and Karon can pool their research given the possible connection between WH Grant-Hanlon and JC Haynes, Avondale Rd, Eastbourne

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at 11/11/2012 16:09:58

The more I learn about the Commandos, the less I realise I know.

Grandson of George Norton Barnes
PLY/X 107640 Royal Marines
14987370 Fus. Barnes G.N Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Royal Marines 8 BN, Royal Marines No. 40 and No. 41 Commando, LST 320, The 9th Buffs, Army No. 5 Commando and X Lists.

Karon
Forum Member

How great to hear from you ! I have since heard from another forum member whose relative was listed and unfortunately had to reply to her similarly - since moving house I have had to place most of our non-essential belongings into storage until we can complete works on our present house, unfortunately these include the memorabilia from dad such as the map and photos. If there was a way to retrieve them without emptying out a shipping container I would, but I am sorry that I cant access them more readily.

Rest assured that when I can I will most certainly get them scanned and posted, I could also send copies should you require.

Have you managed to find out much about your grandad's service ? I would be interested what you find out.

Best regards

Karon

Karon
[Email]
Belly
Forum Member
[Avatar]

I appreciate this is quite an old post now, but I believe "J Allway, Horsley, Gloucs " is in fact Marine Victor Douglas Allway, PLY/X 100635, born 26 March 1920, Ebley, Gloucester.
He served in 42 RM Cdo from 1 August 1943 to 10 January 1946. On enlistment he lived at lived at 1 Council Houses, Horsley, Nailsworth, Gloucester.

Army Commando: Setting Europe ablaze since 1940

Collector of Army Commando Insignia & Memorabilia - desperately looking for printed shoulder titles
[WWW]
Robert1745
Forum Member

I'd be interested in the Silk map, my father was Sgt William Carruthers DCM (Malaysia) he was one of three marines to receive the DCM, it being a Army medal and the marines being navy. He was the second youngest marine to enlist (St Helina) in the Royals 13 1/2, he is the young corporal marching the recruits from Granton-on-Spey station to Achnacarry. In the film "Commando at war", he's on the right of the troop as they leave the station and there as they cross the bridge. he was possibly 19 when he instructed at Achnacarry, my mother who was a WAFF married my dad at Kilmallie outside Fort Bill, she stayed at The Foundry in Achnacarry, they met when she was taking leave from Oxford and he was on the way up to Achnacarry. I've a number of pictures of him in Malaysia and other of him as a boy drummer which on the ships. He served on the Suffolk and witnessed the sinking of the Bismark, he maintained till the end he was the first to spot the Bismark?.who knows.....I have some propaganda info and pics from Malaysia that the Brits dropped in the jungle, would be allowed these days....grim stuff.
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Robert

We have detail relating to your Father within this online archive here:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/WilliamCarruthers42Commando

If you have a photo of your Father on his own, in uniform ideally, or in civvies, that you would like added there and in our Gallery please do send me a copy.

The D.C.M. that your Father was awarded is indeed a very prestigious award which at the time was second only to the Victoria Cross as can be read below

Eligibility and Criteria
The Distinguished Conduct Medal (DCM) was awarded to Warrant Officers, non-commissioned officers, and non-commissioned members, serving in any of the sovereign's military forces, for distinguished conduct in the field. It was the second highest award for gallantry in action (after the Victoria Cross) for all army ranks below commissioned officers and was available to Navy and Air Force personnel also for distinguished conduct in the field.

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Robert1745
Forum Member

Many thanks for the reply, ok, I post some information and pictures, the propaganda material from Malaysia I think you will find
interesting. My father never really said much but after a dram he opened a wee bit, I'll include what he said in my posting, I'd like to join the association, I'm ex military although not the Royals, worked with them though .

cheers,
Robert Carruthers
Robert1745
Forum Member

meant to say, my fathers medals were sold off by my ex brother-in-law at a snip I understand, he was desperate for cash, how he got them I dont know; I think they may be at Deal , I knew nothing about it as I was abroad at the time....I understand there is a set of miniature's, however I would very much like the original's returned, I dont think there's much chance of that. He's also in an edition of the Eagle comics, I did see it as a child and an mit, I've been trying to find a copy, unfortunately its like looking for a needle in a haystack....
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Robert

Just a heads up on the images. Primarily we are looking for ordinary photos of Commandos like your Father. We are not looking for controversial images from that era some of which I have seen on other sites.

Pete

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Units
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger