commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Looking for Information  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
rob58
Forum Member

My name is Robert Jones Iam trying to find information about my fathers war record we were told he served in the army commandos in WW11, His name was Cyril Jones DOB 2/2/1925 he was from Rhos Nr Wrexham. After the war he served in a TA?s the 4th Battalion Royal Welch Fusiliers who were based in Rhos now disbanded.My father passed away in 1992. I dont have any other information.

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi and welcome to the CVA. Although I have no specific information on your father I will give you the same information as is given by many members of the CVA to people researching a relative's Commando history. One of the first things you should do is to apply for his service record. The link on how to do this is below. The absolute minimum of information accepted for a search is the name and date of birth. Ideally the service number also. Those are the 3 means of them searching their records. They can search without a service number. However in order for them to match a record found without a service number being provided additional information can help and should be provided (but is not in itself searchable on their database). So things to look for would be his regiment before volunteering for the Commandos. This might be simply found on documents you may have, or the badge on his commando beret (remember the Commandos volunteered from their original Regiments) or even old pictures from his war days in his uniform. You already have the TA unit he served in after the war so thats a start. His Army Pay Book, Commando Certificate, Commando Association card, etc. etc. . It is important to contact all the extended family to find out what memorabilia they may each individually have. By all means post more pictures of him, or documents found, here so others can offer their help. Finally good luck with your search

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoForum/posts/list/179.page

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Andy Maines
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi

I see that your father was with the RWF after the war, was this also his original / parent regiment prior to joining the Commandos. The reason that I ask is that many men from the RWF and the SWB (South Wales Borderers) made up No1 Commando, my father, who was a member of No1, was also from the RWF.
In a few weeks time I am hoping to have a meeting with a former member of No1, who was in the same Troop (No 5) as my father, his name is Idris Jones and he has just turned 90 yrs old. If the meeting does go ahead I will ask him if he recalls your father's name, I shall also be doing the same for a number of other people from this site whose father's were also in No1. As Pete stated previously it is well worth applying for your father's Army records, I applied for my father's records last year and was very pleased with the material that I recieved in reply. Have you checked out the photo Galleries for the individual Commando units, No1 Commando has got quite a few group shots, you never know he may be in one of these. Just in case you have never seen a Commando Service Certificate, I have attached a copy of my father's recently restored certificate to give you an idea of what one looks like.

Good luck Andy
[Thumb - ZA1234F-Stage 6-Modified- including fully restored lettering- additional Foxing and Commando start date-& correceted typing mistakes-Additional darkening of title and H..jpg]
 Filename ZA1234F-Stage 6-Modified- including fully restored lettering- additional Foxing and Commando start date-& correceted typing mistakes-Additional darkening of title and H..jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1083 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  357 time(s)

"Primus Inter Pares"
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger