commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
GEORGE Brooker, RM Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
John M
CVA Website Manager
[Avatar]

I am wondering if you might be able to help me, or if not, to put me in touch with someone who might be able to. My father, George Brooker, 1924 - 1984, served in the Royal Marine Commandos during World War II. I remembered that he served in the raid on Walcheren (or possibly the clean-up ops. afterwards). He was badly wounded following that operation and finally returned to England. In 1965, he took my mother, my brother and me to visit the graveyard on Walcheren where his batman and other Commandos were buried. I should very much appreciate any information on his war service. Thank you in advance. Jacqueline Brooker Armor.

Posted for Jackie by John M

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 22/02/2009 21:20:44

Do not speak.....unless it improves on Silence.

A good teacher opens the door.....you must enter yourself.

For Dad No 12 Commando & 4 Troop No 1 Commando
Primus Inter Pares

Commando Veterans Archive site Creator/Sponsor

Bill Harvey
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Jackie

My dad was killed in action with No4 Commando in Flushing. The grave yard where most of war dead are and you visited was Bergen-Op-Zoom where my father is buried. I have contact with some Royal Marine Commandos and will pass your message on. Bill Harvey

Bill Harvey
Son of Gunner Bill Harvey No4 Commando who was killed in action on 1 November 1944 when liberating Flushing. "Their deeds shall live from age to age. They've writ their name on History's page. Upheld their glorious heritage. The Fighting Fourth Commando."
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hey Bill
I have a distant relation Fred Donnison buried in Bergen- Op- Zoom He was in the Royal Canadian Air Force and was shot down in 1942 aged 24

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Frank Churchill
Forum Member

My father, Patrick, took part on the Walcheren raid on the port of Flushing on 1 November 1944, as signaller to 6 (French) troop, 4 Cdo. He may well be able to provide some useful information and I'll ask him. At the least he can give some background information which may help.

I recently did some research on 'Operation Infatuate' at the National archives, where one can find the original Enigma intercepts from german radio signals on the day and night before the landings. they were on the PMs desk within hours.

My father said the Walcheren landings were much tougher than D-Day

Frank

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 19/07/2007 02:16:48

Lannah Battley
Forum Member

A Lt Brooker (no forename) is briefly mentioned as being wounded at Walcheren in the history of 47 RM Cdo "From Omaha to the Scheldt" by John Forfar.
I edit 47 Commando Association's newsletter "Despatch" and would be happy to request any information from members in the next issue, due in January. Let me know.
Lannah Battley (wife of a 47RMCdo vet)
Contact me via [email protected]
Colin Russell
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Welcome to the CVA forum Lannah :D

Your offer of help to forward information requests via 47Cdo "Despatch" newsletter is really useful

Colin :D

"Excreta Tauri Astutos Frustantor"
[WWW]

Forum Index » Wartime RM Commando Individuals
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger