commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Operation Belle Isle 27th - 28th January 1945  XML
Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Vlewis
Forum Member
[Avatar]

http://www.onceamarinealwaysamarine.co.uk/belleisle45.htm
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

It is 66 years since this raid took place. The link above gives detail of the action that involved 45RM Commando.

In Memory of the following Commandos from No. 45 R.M. Commando., Royal Marines, who were killed in this action and are remembered with honour at Nederweert War Cemetery.

Lieutenant Peter Stanley Winston, age 20;
Corporal John Joseph Duchan , age 27;
Corporal James Hardie Laing, age 21;
Lance Corporal Herbert McNulty, age 33;
Marine C. Mosley, age 22;
Marine William Purvis, age 27;
Marine Dennis Percy Sweet, age 19;
Marine Robert Leonard Symes;
Marine John Robert Timmins, age 27;
Marine Frank Wild, age 32.

We will remember them

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
John Martin
Forum Member

Some twenty or so years ago, I met Alan Tate in a professional capacity. By then he was a senior partner in Healey & Baker, a major firm of chartered surveyors in London, and an extremely distinguished town planner in his own right. After I had coaxed out of him an account of how he won his MC at Belle Isle, we became friends. He was as modest as he was amusing. Alan was the only person I ever encountered who had commissioned a cycle rack for the roof of a Jaguar XJS!
MBrockway
Forum Member

A 1 Cdo Brigade post-action battle report covering Operation Belle Isle is available over on WW2Talk.

Link to image (via image hosting site) ...
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/924/fL3PrU.jpg

Actual image (sorry, I don't know how to resize for a better fit!) ...

Link to the topic, which is only tangentially about this Op. ...
http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/possible-help-with-identifying-commando-ssi.68744/

The Order of Service for the Peace Thanksgiving Service in May 1945 (shown in the topic) has the names of the Fallen from Operation Belle Isle boxed in pencil, so the Op obviously meant a great deal to Marine Bill Eddy.

Mark

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 09/04/2018 11:14:51

Remembering Tom McCormack, died of wounds, Bill Hughes and Syd Murdoch both captured, all at St Nazaire and all Liverpool Scottish/QOCH & 5(Scottish) Troop, No 2 Commando. Wonderful company & welcome guests billeted with my grandfather in Ayr in 1941-2.

Forum Index » Wartime Commando Operations and Raids
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger