commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Gordon Stanley Chapple, RN Cdo  XML
Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
wazza67
Forum Member

Hi I'm looking for information about my grandfather, Gordon Stanley Chapple -He was known as Stan. I believe he was a combined operations commando. Unfortunately, he passed away in 1999 and I don't have very much information about his service history. He lived in North Devon, UK all his life. Does any one know him or have any information about his service during World War II ? I am researching my family history from Australia.
Wazza
[Thumb - Stan (1).jpg]
 Filename Stan (1).jpg [Disk] Download
 Description This is a photo I have of my grandfather - Gordon Stanley CHAPPLE
 Filesize 236 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  447 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at 31/10/2010 01:06:42

Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Hi Wazza and welcome to the CVA. I am not sure how much, or little, of what I am about to say you have done or heard already but here goes. Firstly you should try to gather together from all your extended family any pictures,documents, letters, medals, or any other memorabilia, that they may have of your Grandfather from his days in the Services. This should include his post war years where he may have communicated with other veterans. Although on first glance these can seem ordinary, so to speak, sometimes on closer inspection they can give clues as to units, locations, dates, etc.
Secondly once you have done all that you should try and apply for his service record and here is a link from our site as to how to do that:
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html
3rd, as you go about yr research keep a log of everything as little snippets of info can often get lost or forgotten.

Finally may I wish you the best of luck

Regards

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Wartime RN Commandos
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger