commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
Any ideas on who are in this pic  XML
Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

This photo was sent to me by Jack Bakker who created a previous forum message about Capt. Niall Thomson, 3 Commando and Achnacarry Instructor. He wonders whether the officer in the tartan trousers could be him. At first glance I thought it was Pat Porteous but would he wear tartan? Any ideas ..Is the officer on the left Peter Bartholomew of 3 Commando ?? Jack also sent me some photos of Niall which have a strong resemblance to the man in the photo. I have attached one of them here.
[Thumb - who are they.jpg]
 Filename who are they.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 56 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  412 time(s)

[Thumb - niall_thomson_kct_achnacarry2.jpg]
 Filename niall_thomson_kct_achnacarry2.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 1708 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  425 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 05/05/2009 00:45:25

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Could the man o n the left be Lt Col Charles Vaughan of Achnacarry fame? im most likely wrong though

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Jack Bakker
Forum Member
[Avatar]

The man on the left is indeed Lieutenant-Colonel Vaughan. The photo comes from the book by Donald Gilchrist called "The Commandos; D-day and beyond". The text underneath the picture says: ?Farewell to Lieutenant-Colonel Charles E. Vaughan, commandant of the Commando Basic Training Centre, sometimes know as ?Rommel of the North?.

I think that the man in the middle of the photo is Gilchrist himself. On the site You Tube you will find a short film (approx 10 minutes) called Commando Country about Commando training at Achnacarry and at Lochailort. At the end you will find a piece of black and white film on which Vaughan is handing out green berets to trainees. The man giving the berets to him is Gilchrist in my oppinion. I compared the photo with the film. That?s why I think the man in de middle is Gilchrist, but I could be wrong of course.

Looking at both photos of Niall as put on the forum by Pete (thanks Pete!) I am convinced it?s him on the black and white one, or I must be very much mistaken! The outline of his face in the b/w photo is the same on the picture I took of him, as goes for the way his hair is done. But I might be wrong here as well!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/05/2009 20:37:07

NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Don't know about Gilchrist but, even before Jack confirmed it, I thought that the Lt Col in the picture was Charles Vaughan.

I'd certainly agree that the the person wearing plaid, in the two pictures, is one and the same.

nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Thanks to Jack, Steve, and Nick on this one. I will post the pictures in the galleries in due course

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Looking for Information General
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger