commando veterans association commando dagger
[Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Groups] Back to home page  [Register] Register /  [Login] Login 
True Stories Of The Commandos  XML
Forum Index » Commando Library
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

picked up a battered ol paperback called True Stories Of The Commandos by Robin Hunter circa 2000 Most of us will be familair with the content which is mainly the Army Commandos But there are some good stuff and alot about my dad's No5 in Madagascar and Burma plus the original training pre Achnacarry
[Thumb - P4120107.jpg]
 Filename P4120107.jpg [Disk] Download
 Description
 Filesize 68 Kbytes
 Downloaded:  871 time(s)

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

In the book Fred Musson No5 Commando recalls how he did his training at Loch Fyne and Lochailort. Is there anything there worth visiting now ? he also says No5 were issued with Balmoral bonnets to wear (thats what my dad is wearing!) and the cross dagger patches for the arm
Other names from No5 include Geoff Riley,Matt Bold , Denis Crowden ,Frank Atter, Fred Palmer, Freddie Hoyle John Wall, ,Titch Shoreman , Sam HartleyAnyone know of them now?
Two officers from no5 mentioned Lt Noble and Chips Heron i know of

SE Donnison
[MSN]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Stephen,
Nice one, I've seen a few of those names but will add any that I haven't already got to the No5 List.

Keep them coming

Nick

Nick Collins,

Commando Association Historical Archivist & Photographer.

Proud son of Cpl Mick Collins, 5 Troop, No5 Cdo

"Truly we may say of them, when shall their glory fade?"

[Email]
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Stephen,
I will be adding six of those names to the No5 List of names (already got the others)
Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
geoffmurray1
Forum Member

Hi Steve, Des Crowden was 2 Tp and later became RSM of 5 Cdo. He is a member of the CVA and lives in Surrey. Sam Hartley was RQMS of 5 Cdo and John Wall was in 2 Tp TQs and was a former member of the 3 Counties Branch of the CA. Lt Ralph W Noble won the MC as did Maj JG 'Chips' Heron who was OC of 3 Tp (also served with 6 Cdo).

Regards

Geoff

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at 01/05/2009 19:54:51

Geoff Murray

'United We Conquer'
Stephen Donnison
Forum Member
[Avatar]

thanks for that Geoff.. some good stirring kick arse stories in the book from these men .. im in awe of 'em
I know Chips Heron came to see our family A lovely man our mam told me . hes inthe book taking on the french in Madagascar ,storming the guns and winning a MC in Burma whacking the nips there

SE Donnison
[MSN]
Hut 8
Forum Member

Stephen Donnison wrote:In the book Fred Musson No5 Commando recalls how he did his training at Loch Fyne and Lochailort. Is there anything there worth visiting now ? he also says No5 were issued with Balmoral bonnets to wear (thats what my dad is wearing!) and the cross dagger patches for the arm
Other names from No5 include Geoff Riley,Matt Bold , Denis Crowden ,Frank Atter, Fred Palmer, Freddie Hoyle John Wall, ,Titch Shoreman , Sam HartleyAnyone know of them now?
Two officers from no5 mentioned Lt Noble and Chips Heron i know of

I realise this thread is very ancient and came across it by accident.

I can fill in some info. on Frank Atter. After the war Frank resided in Wolverton (Bucks) where he worked in the railway works. He was solid working class and served as town councillor (Labour) for very many years and when the area was swallowed by Milton Keynes, he did a term as Mayor of the "city". He was that relative rarity: a trustworthy person in local politics who was respected by everyone on each side of the political divide and he always treated towns folk problems with equal effort: if anyone reported an issue, typically he'd walk around in his own time to see and discuss it.

Frank was always exceptionally calm and exuded authority without resorting to fear. As kids, we had no idea of his war heroics which I guess shaped his character. He married and had 2 sons (1 of whom was my closest friend). Sadly Frank passed away too soon into retirement: 1991 at the age of 68 or 69 I think. For me, he was quintessentially English from an age we have largely lost: someone who got serious stuff done without fuss or ego.
NIC
Forum Member
[Avatar]

Hi,

Thank you for the background story of Frank Atter - it's fantastic to know he was an honest, trustworthy and respected man.
You say you were a close friend of Frank's son - I don't suppose you're able to post a photo of Frank on here?

Nick

Nick Collins,

[Email]
Pete
CVA Website Archivist
[Avatar]

Clearly very well respected. There's a street locally named after him - Frank Atter Croft, Wolverton.

https://www.commandoveterans.org/FrankAtter_5Commando

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/06/2022 14:54:42

Pete Rogers, son of LSgt Joe Rogers MM & nephew of TSM Ken McAllister. Both No2 Commando.
God and the Soldier, all men adore, In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted, God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

**** nb. I no longer monitor the pm facility ****
[Email]

Forum Index » Commando Library
Go to:   
©Commando Veterans Archive 2006 - 2016. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all content on this site is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Powered by JForum 2.1.8 © JForum Team
commando dagger